High speed footage from above

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: High speed footage from above

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:39 am

JR wrote:K-Lite codec pack might work Windows environment because I've seen people have success with it and the footage I've shot. These vids with .avi extension are encoded with xvid4 except the middle one is MJPEG that Windows Media Player should support right off the bat. Lemme guess Mac? VLC is available for Windows, Mac and Unix. Hope you get these videos to work.

No... Windows Vista.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:42 am

cimg0101portionovercompensatingfatiguebymusclinglosingcontrolslippinggripmjpeg.avi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Holy crap... why not just take up chess or tidlywinks or something? Geez.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:46 am

I got the middle one to work.

The overhead shot is very, very intriguing... very intriguing.

There might be more to learn from this overhead shot than any of the other views.

JR. You can clearly see that there are no angles formed that create "bounce" from the wrist. The disc just slips out.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I got the middle one to work.

The overhead shot is very, very intriguing... very intriguing.

There might be more to learn from this overhead shot than any of the other views.

JR. You can clearly see that there are no angles formed that create "bounce" from the wrist. The disc just slips out.

I had no acceleration of the lower arm left in me at that point so even if the angles were there and the disc didn't slip it wouldn't have been an earth shattering throw.

:-D Although I didn't name that comedy value it's certainly what that's good for! Hee hee. I just posted because it's from above and at high speed plus at a higher resolution than other guys here have posted. There are precious few from above shots around. Because I too think it's a very revealing angle I put these up. Not because he throws show anything to emulate. Well perhaps closeness of the disc to the chest but... I was really frustrated by fatigue, early slips and soccer players infesting the field. I even went from my regular grip to a stack grip for these vids because prior vids showed early slips and that day my pinch timing was off. No help there. I couldn't pinch hard enough early enough to save my life. Yesterday was even worse.

I noticed yesterday that I need to add even more small muscle training with weights to my wrist area and the muscles chopping the elbow open to my weight routine because I can drive hard and far long after my wrist is dead. Don't know if it's the nerve damage to my arm that blocks the signals from getting through to the small muscles or fatigue that's causing no reply from wrist muscles despite a conscious guiding of the wrist to move then stop. And fingers pinch not occuring despite the signal being sent from the head. I had never had such bad problems as yesterday but am always off with putting when getting tired. I've pushed really hard the past few weeks and start playing fatigued from previous playing/weight lifting. The summer is so short here that every opportunity must be taken to play.

If you thought me displaying noob muscling in the middle vid was funny just wait till you see the comedy value tongue in cheek final one :-) I remembered you writing about the guys that spin around without chopping the arm and decided to illustrate just that. Even more comedy from my cap :-) That vid clearly illustrates that no matter how much energy you spend by doing irrelevant stuff like push ups in the middle of your run up and not chopping hard you won't throw very far. I was in no condition to throw far by my own standard at the time of these vids were being taken. And I had busted out personal distance records with Sinus AP, Rhyno, Destroyer and Boss early in the session. Heat, dehydration and about a hundred full power tosses later is what you see in these vids.

The first vid is with a two step run up before the x step at full speed not being able to stop the right leg falling forward with the right leg being overpowered by back to front momentum. Cale Leiviska does this and throws far and I've gotten my longest throws this way. i can use very little hips at this time due to a back injury lasting a life time unless new treatments are developed :-( I'm SOL with rotational power because my right knee ain't what it used to be either. The only place that I can use fully for rotational power generation is shoulders. Unless elbow chop is considered a part of the rotational power generation too. Not sure about the definition of that because it also has a linear component keeping the disc moving back to front. From elbow down is my most mangled body part so it's nt surprising that this summer being the first one I've been able to train not micro slipping and trying to pivot the disc between the index finger and thumb has problems. It's too new to me to time the pinch and grip hard enough. I need to develop more finger power although I've had pinch induced grip locks with some of my fastest elbow chops disc hugging the chest lately. Timing of the pinch also varying a great deal prior to muscles and/or nerves fizzling out.

None of these vids show form I'm nearly satisfied with. The whole session was bad. Some parts of form worked in some throws and went awry with other throws having success in other parts and messing up in parts I just got right. None of the throws were even close to ok in every part :-( I have a lot to do. Starting with not kicking the right toward the target in the plant step -sigh. Dunno how many times that's creeped back in my form grrr.

My knees buckled under me twice while driving yesterday, once the day before that and once on Saturday so it's clear to me that I have long ways to go with improving physical condition to allow some decency in throwing in longer sessions. Especially when it's hot. Lucky for me I have a localized body that's good for playing in cold which is the majority of the year here.

If K-Lite code pack won't help with those xvid4s try looking for a media player that supports xvid4 natively. It's a common high quality codec widely used these days.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:17 pm

You exhibit the classic "no release".

Your shoulder, elbow, and hand are tracking at the same rotary speed.

Your arm does not release until after the disc is gone.

I love the overhead view. I want to do some baselining.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:16 am

Bradley Walker wrote:You exhibit the classic "no release".

Your shoulder, elbow, and hand are tracking at the same rotary speed.

Your arm does not release until after the disc is gone.

I love the overhead view. I want to do some baselining.

Did you get the first and last videos working?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby gretagun » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 am

JR,

I'm not an expert on critiquing these videos, but here is one thing I noticed. It does not appear to me that you are getting your elbow far enough in front of your body. I think by getting it out in front more, you will get a greater bend in your elbow, which will bring the disc in even closer to your body and increase elbow extension. Where your elbow starts extending in the videos, is where I would like to see the elbow pushed out a little further. It just appears to be extending a little early. I do not see a lot of "punching towards the target" as Dan talks about.

Now I can way off on my critique :lol: but I really like the high speed camera work and from that view point. I agree with BW that studying shots from this view point may hold some interesting details. Nice work!
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby Beetard » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:58 am

That overhead view is brilliant, especially when combined with a high speed camera. I think this angle tells more about a throw than anything else I've seen.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby JR » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:23 am

Beetard wrote:That overhead view is brilliant, especially when combined with a high speed camera. I think this angle tells more about a throw than anything else I've seen.

Too bad running so fast and being tired turned my form to beep. There's much more wrong in the first vid than what gretagun correctly pointed out. In the first vid I should have had the elbow 5-6" farther out easily before starting to turn the torso toward the target. After the legs started to push initiating the torso turn to face the target from 90 degrees left of the target.

I scouted out a ski jumping platform that's much higher from the throwing place showing the whole run up and throw easily. Too bad the ground is very uneven and the throw would fly to a forest with two walking paths. Dangerous proposition at best and likely to cost me discs because that forest is thick with jungle undrgrowth :-( I'm very much in favor of another venue :-) One that I haven't found yet.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 am

A media player called Video LAN 1.01 is now available and supports many more formats like those in my vids in the original post in this thread. An added benefit is that when you press the key e the playback stops and repeated pushes of the button move the video forward one frame per push. I recommend using this player highly because it's available for many different operating systems and eliminate so much hassle with compatibility.

You can download it from here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique