OK Here (new Vids added 9-27-09)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: OK Here (new Vids added 8-7-09)

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:05 pm

This is my first attempt at a Snap explanation. I plan to redo it as my camera ran out of disc space and the wind was blowing hard in the microphone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLctK7z6Eg
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: OK Here (new Vids added 9-9-09)

Postby Wyno » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Well damn Bradley that's a great start. Needs a bit more structure ( you repeat yourself and struggle a bit to reach the point at some times) but that's what looking at this and jotting down some notes for next time will do for you. Don't really seem to need much specific input beyond that, and anyway I would like to actually be able to listen to everything you say before I say anything more ;-)
The main concept is really clear I think, and you're real close to all-you-need-to-know-about-snap-in-five-minutes DG heaven :-P
An idea (if you got the time and could be bothered) would be to mix in some slo-mo shots filmed from above (like JR's earlier posts), with your comments. Maybe some slow shots where you just focused on perfect form, more than distance? No fancy editing needed just a voiceover would do, to really hammer your point home.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

PD, Vector, Axis, Ion, Anode. XL, Comet
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Ion

Postby Roy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Nice detail on the camera. Even on Regular youtube resolution the picture was really good.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Why not show a toss with a hammer to illustrate the point of the similarity to throwing the inside, close to the chest, edge of the disc at the right pec position? And using words to that effect. Just a thought.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:26 pm

I can FINALLY see vidoe again. Get your other hand off the disc.....your follow through is almost as bad as mine.
That's a great camera you are using
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:09 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:I can FINALLY see vidoe again. Get your other hand off the disc.....your follow through is almost as bad as mine.

In what way?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Redisculous » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Brad, you are a great teacher. I love your analogy to the grenade with a handle, and your point about the weight being on the other side of the grip realy made me think of throwing in a way I never have before. Working on snap is probably beyond my skills at this point, but I feel I understand things a lot better now than I ever did before.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:38 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
TeamTollandDG wrote:I can FINALLY see vidoe again. Get your other hand off the disc.....your follow through is almost as bad as mine.

In what way?

On your reach back you are holding the disc with two hands. I think it would help to get your off hand out of there. It'll help you to pull more "down the line" and maybe help your wide shoulders rotate better to make the follow through easier for you. What you are teaching about SNAP is great keep it up.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby masterbeato » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Brad takes his left hand off the disc when he should.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 am

TeamTollandDG wrote:It'll help you to pull more "down the line" and maybe help your wide shoulders rotate better to make the follow through easier for you. What you are teaching about SNAP is great keep it up.

I am working on that in fact.

I am trying to get my right shoulder to work "under" and through more. The result is a more "down the line" with less tendency to torque over when I really lean on it. It makes my hips work differently too and my finish it less "spinning".
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby masterbeato » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:48 pm

i see what Tolland is getting at, you have more shoulder versatility when you do not have that left hand on the disc at all.

good thing to work on.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Flipflat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:54 pm

I like the "hammer" explaination, it's a great way to focus on wrist extension. Also, it's helped my aim, just by mentally telling myself "I want THIS part of the disc rotated THERE" at release, if that makes any sense.

Is there a second part to the video? I've seen all the other videos on the playlist, I was just wondering if there was a "part 2", Bradly sort of cuts himself off at the end of the video.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby black udder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:29 pm

yeah...where's take 2? :D
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Flipflat wrote:I like the "hammer" explaination, it's a great way to focus on wrist extension. Also, it's helped my aim, just by mentally telling myself "I want THIS part of the disc rotated THERE" at release, if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense. You got it.

What got cut off was the discussion of throwing the "head of the hammer" above and below your plane. You can make some wicked nose down shots both hyser and anhyser.
Last edited by Bradley Walker on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:15 pm

black udder wrote:yeah...where's take 2? :D

Take two will replace take one. It has been raining none stop for almost two weeks. I may have to move it inside. I liked filming at the field.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique