OK Here (new Vids added 9-27-09)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: OK Here (new Vids added 9-9-09)

Postby black udder » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
black udder wrote:yeah...where's take 2? :D

Take two will replace take one. It has been raining none stop for almost two weeks. I may have to move it inside. I liked filming at the field.

Man, rain sucks when you want to play outside :( I'll take the talk anyway you do it. I have a friend who wants to revamp his backhand to add some distance and I think your talk will help a lot.

Do you play in the rain? I don't mind so much if I'm out there, but I don't go if it's already raining. I know folks (read younger people) that do go regardless of the weather.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Brad does not play in the rain. Not around here anyway.

Clay when wet = ice.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:51 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Brad does not play in the rain. Not around here anyway.

Clay when wet = ice.

Even spikes in the soles won't remedy that before the spikes are so long that you'll likely stab yourself x stepping. I now this from using short enough spikes to be safe and uprooting grass while slipping.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 pm

I'm dying to see a the updated video.

Quick question - You mention that, for drivers you have been supporting your index finger with your middle finger. Are you ripping off the middle or the index?

I know that, personally, there are times when I feel like I get a good solid snap on my throw and feel it coming off of my middle finger (by accident). In fact, the ones that come off my middle finger (by accident) generally feel more solid - likely because I've managed to finish my throw. Often, though, I find that it doesn't go quite as far as if I can keep a the disc ripping off only my index - even if it doesn't feel as solid.

Is this is because I'm introducing more noise into my throw with the middle finger rip (OAT, wobble, or maybe catching my finger too late on the rim -so I'm somehow decelerating the disc) that more practice would maybe alleviate?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:43 am

Craig wrote:I'm dying to see a the updated video.

Quick question - You mention that, for drivers you have been supporting your index finger with your middle finger. Are you ripping off the middle or the index?

I know that, personally, there are times when I feel like I get a good solid snap on my throw and feel it coming off of my middle finger (by accident). In fact, the ones that come off my middle finger (by accident) generally feel more solid - likely because I've managed to finish my throw. Often, though, I find that it doesn't go quite as far as if I can keep a the disc ripping off only my index - even if it doesn't feel as solid.

Is this is because I'm introducing more noise into my throw with the middle finger rip (OAT, wobble, or maybe catching my finger too late on the rim -so I'm somehow decelerating the disc) that more practice would maybe alleviate?

YMMV but I've had clearly more pressure on my middle finger with two finger middle finger rip than single or two finger index rip. and can't tell which goes farthest because I don't get many middle finger rips. Usually I need a couple of degrees less initial hyzer with only index finger on the rim. Middle finger under the rim or on the wing for even cleaner less wobbly flights on average. Usually one finger grip doesn't wobble at all. I don't have solid proof but I suspect that an index rip allows for more maximum _potential_ rotation on the disc. If the potential realizes is individual and dependent on many things.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:38 pm

As long as they work as a unit...

I am learning to edit my video as we speak. I made a "take two" but it has many problems... one is that it is 20 minutes long and the UPS man came up to me as I was talking in front of the camera.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:26 pm

No problem there. I would watch all 20 minutes of it and soak it in like a sponge.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby DiscJay » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:31 pm

bcsst26 wrote:No problem there. I would watch all 20 minutes of it and soak it in like a sponge.

Me too!! I know I would be happy with anything you put together as long as i can soak up the knowledge.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:42 am

-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Re: OK Here (new Vids added 9-27-09)

Postby ManU » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Those are fantastic Brad. Thanks for taking the time to do those. They are a world of help for me.

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby bcsst26 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Top notch Brad. Can't wait to hit the field until then I will be watching them again.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Alright watched it several more times. Good stuff. Especially love when you mention about companies actually teaching how to throw a disc. Anyways one thing I was wandering and am hoping to get some more insight on is the "Phil drill."
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby CJ1998 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:28 pm

I liked when you grabbed the golf club and then made a baseball analogy.

Very useful information. I know I have some of the tendencies you mentioned. . . I never thought about it like a hammer, but that makes perfect sense.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby tigel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Good stuff brad, I've known all this for awhile (thanks DGR!) but I haven't really thought about your hammer analogy. I think if I focus on the head of the disc more I might be able to produce some more snap (I can throw 400 consistent 450 max)
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:35 pm

The hammer throw technique has replaced the "Phil drill". They are the same thing. This is more clear.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to Video Critique