Help!

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help!

Postby Segovia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:44 pm

I've been browsing the site for a few weeks, and decided to upload some videos before I really start the field work. After watching myself a few times, I have a few ideas of what's wrong with my form, but I'd love to get help from the knowledgeable base here! I had the lucky experience to play a round with Dan Beto yesterday, and seeing him overthrow a 480' hole really upped my drive to improve. Lay into me!

These were shot on my iPhone so the quality isn't the greatest...but they should do for now!

Star Valk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVhPA7a0dYE

Champ Teebird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idzi3mofm34

Star SL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2520wM1xz8

Any and all input is welcome. Like I said I'm just about to start hitting the field hard to clean my form up a ton.
Ion - Fuse - Axis - Roc - Teebird - Predator - PD - Destroyer
Segovia
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Help!

Postby Beetard » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Looks like you're already killin it. Probably 370 already? You may have some weight-not-forward issues, but damn your throw looks strong. Keep hangin with Dan, maybe meet Blake if you can.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Looks like you're pulling from the reach back. Pull later, like when the disc is around your chest or just beyond.

Possibly some nose up issues, but it's hard to tell.

You're pivoting on your heel, which I believe is good.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeah you gotta lean forward a bit more. It would help if you could put the elbow in front of you more before chopping. How loose are your muscles in the arm when pulling compared to just waking up? To me it seems that there's slightly too much tension in your arm especially too early because you could start to accelerate a little later. If you can accelerate harder that'd be great.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Segovia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 pm

JR wrote:Yeah you gotta lean forward a bit more. It would help if you could put the elbow in front of you more before chopping. How loose are your muscles in the arm when pulling compared to just waking up? To me it seems that there's slightly too much tension in your arm especially too early because you could start to accelerate a little later. If you can accelerate harder that'd be great.

Forward as in towards my target or towards the direction my upper body is facing?
Segovia
Noob

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Man, to be honest, you got two of the best guys near you. Go beg Dan or Blake for some help. I know a high percentage of the guys here would be all over that. :P

Watch Dan's driving video, then see if you can hit him up with stuff you don't understand.

edit: and I don't mean that to blow you off, just saying those guys are pretty generous and you can learn SO much more by watching and talking than you can reading.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Segovia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:23 pm

Yea...that's exactly why I asked Dan to let me tag along for a round this weekend. Hopefully I can convince him to meet me in a field sometime soon haha.
Segovia
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:47 pm

Segovia wrote:
JR wrote:Yeah you gotta lean forward a bit more. It would help if you could put the elbow in front of you more before chopping. How loose are your muscles in the arm when pulling compared to just waking up? To me it seems that there's slightly too much tension in your arm especially too early because you could start to accelerate a little later. If you can accelerate harder that'd be great.

Forward as in towards my target or towards the direction my upper body is facing?

Legs planted the same way thighs and up transferring center of gravity from back to front leaning toward the target so that your heart is as close to the target as your right knee when the disc leaves the hand.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 am

mitch,

come out with me sometime this week, and we can work on weight transfer!

your not transferring all your weight to your plant leg which causes some problems.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby masterbeato » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 am

then we can work on other things after that but that is the most important thing to work on right now is getting that weight transferred correctly.

work from a standstill first and then add some steps.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Segovia » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:07 am

Looking at my throws, I would have said I have footwork issues relating to getting weight forward, and issues with the pull. So on the positive side of things, at least I can somewhat self diagnose a few problems eh?
Segovia
Noob

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:49 pm

What they said. You need to get your rotation center over your front knee, not behind it.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Video Critique