Blink in Slow Motion (240 FPS)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Blink in Slow Motion (240 FPS)

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:47 am

"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Blink in Slow Motion (240 FPS)

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53 am

cool videos!

I thought the camera/radar gun was going to get toasted in both shots.

Lots of wobble on the rhyno.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Blink » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:17 am

Thxxx Bradleys. The white one is actually my beat up aviar. The orange one is the rhyno. I think I threw the rhyno 63mph, faster than any of my other discs. Found out I had a longer way to go than I thought that day...

I think the wobble might be from throwing putters at almost full power.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby black udder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm

okay - these are comments, not critique. I'm not implying that I'm right or you should change, just what I saw and am asking you if what I see is right or wrong :)

You're almost leaning backwards at the pivot. Is that because of the radar gun? Just seems like you're weight back.

Also, looks like you're pulling from when the disc hits your back shoulder area, so the disc is ripping out at the side instead of further ahead. I'd guess that equates to your arm slowing down vs speeding up at the hit.

Can you give me some background or details?

oh, P.S. Thank god it's something other than a freakin' bear post.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby keltik » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:03 pm

black udder wrote:oh, P.S. Thank god it's something other than a freakin' bear post.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

and also all the crying about the Gazelle needs to fucking stop......get over it

now to respond to this actual thread:

Mr. Walker, where did you get the radar gun and the slow mo hi res camera? how much do these cost?

Blink, where were you throwing? like Black said you looked off balance. were you trying to catch your speed on the radar or were you trying to capture your form on the slow mo cam? i would suggest try it again using just the slow mo camera to catch the subtleties of your form. trying to do too much at once can sometimes ruin the moment.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Has anyone hit your radar gun off of the tee?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:51 pm

Furthur wrote:Has anyone hit your radar gun off of the tee?

No.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blink » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 pm

But I was nervous about it, most of my throws were higher than normal. I was mainly trying to see how fast I could throw in both of those videos, should have said that before. That's probably what I look like throwing high shots though. Next time we could put it behind a small fence or something haha.

I do have a problem getting my weight forward as it is. Brad put it into perspective explaining why some people can play in the rain without slipping.

On a side note I'm starting to feel the reach-back more as I practice it. I really think that is what keeps me from throwing real far. The slow mo is really an eye opener.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:42 pm

Blink wrote:But I was nervous about it, most of my throws were higher than normal. I was mainly trying to see how fast I could throw in both of those videos, should have said that before. That's probably what I look like throwing high shots though. Next time we could put it behind a small fence or something haha.

I do have a problem getting my weight forward as it is. Brad put it into perspective explaining why some people can play in the rain without slipping.

On a side note I'm starting to feel the reach-back more as I practice it. I really think that is what keeps me from throwing real far. The slow mo is really an eye opener.

I really think I could Add 10 mph more... No problem. He has so much potential, but he will need to change his power zone. His snap is already huge.

I want to get him ready to take on beato.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 am

Follow through is a couple of degrees lower than the hyzer on the disc. Which may come from the way you hold the disc in you hand and I'm not sure how damaging that is. The discs do wobble. You pick your left leg up prior the the disc ripping out which slows your body rotation thus snap. You could add to the reach back by also turning the head 180 away from the target and twisting the hips and shoulders more facing 200 degrees or so away from the target with the shoulder facing. Does adding 10-20 degrees more angle to the plant step angle add or detract power from the throw for you? For some it adds and considering how far along you're already there aren't many things to try any more so it underscores the necessity of checking it out in your case. Remember what masterbeato said about lower body usage in martial arts? If you can pivot with left leg in the x step you could add more lower body power in the plant step pivot which would be a double pivot simultaneously.

You have good arm speed and the disc pivots about 90 degrees in the thumb lock -could you get closer to 180 by adding pinching power? I like how your hair moves from the force of the throw -funny :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby gretagun » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:47 am

black udder wrote:Also, looks like you're pulling from when the disc hits your back shoulder area, so the disc is ripping out at the side instead of further ahead. I'd guess that equates to your arm slowing down vs speeding up at the hit.

I noticed this too. In the first video, around the 0:08 mark, it looks like the disc is leaving the hand, and doesn't appear to get anywhere near the right pec.

That camera is freakin' sweet. Keep putting them up BW.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby Blink » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks for the advice, that's pretty much spot on. Until I saw this video I assumed since I could snap that I was getting across to my right pec....

I imitated pros to try and find a good throw, imitating Kallstrom seemed to stick the most with the way I plant. At first it was just for spike hyzers, now I think I angle my plant and jam my knee for all my power hyzers too. Brad made the point that my back leg should push more around my plant foot than towards it.

Next time I'll do a throw where I'm not trying to muscle it, that would probably be better for critique. Or at least I wouldn't look as bad lol.

Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Take note of the symptom similar to aaron's. He is actally hitting his left shoulder with the disc and the pull immediately shoots away from the chest. Now that I have diagnosed this in person I stand by the assertion that it is huge power leak.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Return to Video Critique