Video from above after right pec drill of mafa

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Video from above after right pec drill of mafa

Postby josser » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:59 pm

JR wrote:
mafa wrote:
masterbeato wrote:mafa,

your wrist is open when you reach back (not good!), close your wrist on your pull back and let it open at the hit.

Thanks! I see your point. Did not realize this until you guys pointed it out. So I should keep wrist neutral in the reach back.

Masterbeato, are you actively pre-closing the wrist or are you letting the acceleration of the elbow chop do all of the coiling? In my first throw (right pec with body rotation) I think I am keeping the wrist quite straight but then I don't see much wrist bending action. It might be due to the fact that the disc is moving in a circular path instead of more linear which you would get with a reachback.

I am still hoping that Bradley Walker would comment on the throwing around the nose thing and if there's any disc pivot to be seen in the video. I certainly am not sure. Looks like the hand goes around to 2 o'clock but if the disc pivots out I can't tell from the footage.

I can get a lot more disc pivot than that with stand still minimal power throws but lack the finger strength to hold on to the disc on full power throws. The circular motion your arm is making is clearly visible when you look at the path the right elbow takes frame by frame. It's not going back to front. I think Bradley calls the disc pivot the jump of the disc from right to left when looking from behind the thrower toward the target. The disc also jumps forward too when the disc pivots in the thumb lock. The moving of the index/thumb lock around the edge of the disc from the outer side of the disc (opposite side of the torso) to front of the disc to inner side and hopefully toward the rear of the disc (mega cool if one could pull it off with robot like power needed in the fingers) is somewhat lacking in your throw. A full force index finger/thumb pinch late in the throw may retard the rip so that you'd have more rotation of the disc between the index finger and the thumb releasing more from the back of the disc. As opposed to the two o'clock release now.

Can you specify which part of the arm is undergoing circular motion that should not be doing so? Forearm or elbow? I thought that you were supposed to punch the elbow out and then have your forearm slingshot around your elbow.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:13 pm

josser wrote:Can you specify which part of the arm is undergoing circular motion that should not be doing so? Forearm or elbow? I thought that you were supposed to punch the elbow out and then have your forearm slingshot around your elbow.

Right elbow of mafa was moving in an arc when looking from top down. You thought absolutely right. But you also add a great deal of other motions to it to add all possible kids of rotational forces on top of each other for maximum snap. Like turning the shoulders once the arm has straightened or even slightly before it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby josser » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:43 pm

JR wrote:
josser wrote:Can you specify which part of the arm is undergoing circular motion that should not be doing so? Forearm or elbow? I thought that you were supposed to punch the elbow out and then have your forearm slingshot around your elbow.

Right elbow of mafa was moving in an arc when looking from top down. You thought absolutely right. But you also add a great deal of other motions to it to add all possible kids of rotational forces on top of each other for maximum snap. Like turning the shoulders once the arm has straightened or even slightly before it.

When I compare mafa's elbow and shoulder motion to the ones that Bradley posted in http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13291&start=255, they look about the same to me as in a little but not very much motion from elbow chop to hit.

Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Wyno » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:14 am

I think Bradley's shoulders are more squared up facing the target at the hit, shoulder rotation drives the extension of the arm so he gets max potential in his snap. That's why his hit is closer to the body as well. Mafa's whole arm extension happens almost without movement in the shoulder, so he loses speed and potential power.
Just my 2 ¢
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Previous

Return to Video Critique