My first time on video

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My first time on video

Postby dukeblue1987 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:37 am

I've been playing for about 2-3 months and this is the first time I've been on video.

Back view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153lLY_vzTk
Side view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBPBNb9xG0A

I don't know a whole lot about technique, but I immediately noticed that I throw with the nose of the disc up. This explains why the disc falls hard to the left instead of gliding to the ground. How can i correct this? Any other changes to be made?

Thanks,
Mike
dukeblue1987
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: My first time on video

Postby dukeblue1987 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:39 pm

No comments? :(
dukeblue1987
Noob

Postby keltik » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:51 pm

i'll comment.....i haven't watched the vids yet....and you posted two.....on DGR we have to watch the posted vids at least 20 times.....try to recover from laughing.....and then we post a reply.....just be patient

EDIT:oh and to answer your initial question about nose down.....it all starts with the grip....what grip do you use?....or do you know?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby keltik » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 pm

okay kid.....the biggest thing you lack is snap......have you read anything in our Technique forum?.....if you haven't i suggest you get on it.....me and others will give you advice and you may not understand wtf we're talking about

okay three things you do well
1 the last steps of your run up are fairly compact
2 you look like you lead with your elbow
3 and you follow through fairly well

all of these can still be improved upon though

three things that need to be improved the most
1 you need to get your body mass slightly down....and a LOT forward
2 you need to turn more with your hips
3 and you need to make your pull on a lower line (below your nipples)

that's all i can say for now.....when you read the technique forums all of what i said will make more sense
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby dukeblue1987 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I use the Climo stacked grip for my drives.

When you say body mass down and forward, do you mean bending at the knees? Bending at the waist would make you rotate slower, correct?

Thanks,
Mike
dukeblue1987
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:08 pm

Patience grashopper some of us on the other side of the Atlantic have to work and sleep. Will return after snoozing time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 pm

dukeblue1987 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I use the Climo stacked grip for my drives.

When you say body mass down and forward, do you mean bending at the knees? Bending at the waist would make you rotate slower, correct?

Thanks,
Mike

you have bend both the knees and the waist slightly, just slightly....but you must twist your hips towards the target.....kinda like you're swingin' your pecker towards the basket.....this will cause the rest of your body mass and your throwing arm to follow......if you do this kinda slowly with you arm in your reach back position you will notice that your elbow will naturally bend with you consciously doing anything.....this natural bend is the starting point for the late acceleration......and from there it's right pec drill and tendon bounce....

kudos on the stack fork grip.....it's my favorite too
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby masterbeato » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:21 pm

agreed with keltik

but i also see that you need more upper body explosion as well. your shoulders are coming through a little early. you have pretty good shoulder activity though.

when your shoulders are parallel to the target, concentrate on tightening your pull through your chest. do not move your shoulders from that position (parallel) until later after the disc passes your right pectoral.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JR » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:24 am

Your wrist seems to collapse upward as it's nearing the rip although it is down at the reach back. Try to use muscle power to force it down as the elbow is chopping. There's a natural tendency for the wrist to rise coming from flexed back to neutral due to arm bones. The only thing that can counter it is using more muscle power. I think your arm was the height of your fist lower in the reach back than at the hit. That also raises the nose and makes the disc climb up and stall in two ways that are ured just by pulling at a constant level. To nit pick you're doing anhyzer steps with a flat disc release angle. Check out the dferene when you plant the final step of the right leg 8-10" more to the right.

On top of stopping the disc from climbing high there are really few things you can do except add more speed to the motions. Real explosiveness. Your positions are good enough togo a long way once the previously mentioned things have been changed. I do have a difference of opinion with MB about the importance of added shoulder turning speed. I'd emphasize a lot quicker hip twist because that helps the shoulder twist to become faster too. Naturally both of these are driven better by a faster and more powerful legwork. They all go a long way toward adding power and the foundations are more important than the later motions. Your legs and shoulders can be faster but the area where you're lacking the most is hip twist speed. Try to do everything quicker (not by tensing up the muscles) and you should see real distance gains.

Edit: Forgot that you can get the nose down by raising the rear of the disc to above the seam of the hand too. That doesn't require as much muscle tension in the arm battling the raising wrist syndrome which makes the whole arm move a lot faster.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique