First Driving Video...looking for LOTS of critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

First Driving Video...looking for LOTS of critique

Postby archimedesjs » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:11 pm

I apologise for the very poor quality of the video. The majority of these drives were turning over to the right. The star beast went about 330'ish, and the teerex went about 350'. The other ones all dove to the right after about 225' or so. I think I might be rolling my wrist, because it only happens when I really try to put a lot of follow through on my throws. Anyway, please critique.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ZcaZQPI70
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Re: First Driving Video...looking for LOTS of critique

Postby JR » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 am

A couple of major change are in order and you're gonna bybass a distance plateau with these modifications: Don't pull your arm forward hard from the reach back. Delay turning toward the target with the torso so that you pull the arm moderately to slowly to have the elbow almost as far it will go toward the target while chest faces 90 degrees left of the target. Only then start to accelerate the arm fast and only then push hard with the left leg and twist the hips at max power along with the shoulder turn. Your plant step length is ok if you push harder with the left leg and bow forward with the hips so that your heart is above the right knee that is you're weight forward.

Not pulling so quickly from the reach back reduces flipping over. The later you start accelerating hard the less flipping there's gonna be. Discs like high revs compared to speed.
Last edited by JR on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby archimedesjs » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm extremely grateful for the advice. I'll be going out today to put the recommendations into effect, I'll report back with results and hopefully with a video. Thanks again.
archimedesjs
Noob

Postby black udder » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:55 am

1) Double JR's comments. Pull later.
2) You're a little weight back instead of weight over your plant leg.
3) A lot of those shots are either flat or anhyzer. In combination with the discs you're throwing (leopard, beast, XS, TL), they're not really stable/overstable discs, so flat or anhyzer release with power will make them turn over. Having a beat one even more. The beast you said you're going for a hyzer-flip was released flat to anhyzer, not hyzer. Much of the time, you are standing straight up or slightly leaning back, you need to lean slightly forward/drop your right shoulder lower than your left shoulder to throw hyzer.

Just changing your weight to forward and throwing with more hyzer will reduce your distance and change your throw. See what it does and shoot another video.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby archimedesjs » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Ok, I've tried to incorporate some of the suggestions. I tried to put my weight forward more and dip my right shoulder, I also tried to throw with more of a hyzer than flat or anhyzer. I didn't accelerate until my elbow was more out in front of me. With my pro wraith, and my star beast I was getting some nice hyzer flips which gave me an extra 25-50' more than I ordinarily get. My leopards and other discs all went about the same distance. The only thing that wasn't happening was that I wasn't turning them over. There was a lot of flutter on some of these shots too, but they stablized about 200' into their flights. These shots all went between 300-350. Earlier in the day I was getting further than that with my star beast and pro wraith. I can't seem to put on any distance with the leopards though. More suggestions would really be appreciated. I feel like I'm still missing something integral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY6yQmn_NbA
archimedesjs
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:43 pm

It's difficult to tell from the video quality so take this with a grain of salt and next time it would be more revealing if you zoomed in closer to show your feet on the bottom of the picture and the head at the top.

From what I thought I saw you could put the elbow way more in front of the body. 6" or more. You don't look like you twist your hips all of the turning of your torso comes from the legs. You could delay the onset of the arm acceleration more it looks like you start to pull when the center of the disc is at the left pec when rear of the disc passing the right side is closer to the truth. This may reduce wobble but unlcean releases fro fingers can cause it too.

I had a great time yesterday eliminating finger sticking or rubbing troubles by using only the index finger on the rim and the middle finger curled under the wing rest of the fingers curled into a fist not touching the disc. Crazy little initial hyzer even though I was running fast with run up steps and yanking as hard as I could. For example a Star Kite with about 4 degree hyzer flipped to flat several times and went to at least 350'. A 170 DX Leopard with the same angle to 370'. A 175 DX Valkyrie with 3 degree hyzer flat to 400' and a flat 173 FGR Helios the same D and with a 3-4 degree anny from the hand and in the air until it flexed out late on a higher D line to 410' several times. A 167 Star TL with a 5 degree hyzer to 370-380'. Star Skeeter 175 I think with a 6-7 degree hyzer to 350'. This was an on day for me.

None of the above discs are usually considered that stable or non flippy. What I consider the most surprising in the flights was the Valkyrie because it did fade some 7' on lesser distances but did only 3' at 400' without signs of tracking or flipping over. It stayed locked to flat. That's Teebird type of performance not a Valkyrie until now. I wasn't expecting it at all. I'm not complaining but I have lots of discs to retest now after seeing this.

At first my injured arm was protesting gripping like this because it takes more muscle power to grip like this and hold on to the disc. In my case it stresses the area where I have somewhat pinched nerves that luckily were operable to the point that they only bother after hard use. When my muscles got used to the stresses and warmed up the bad feelings went away which is the first time ever. Lifting weights has seriously helped me because I could never before pull off something like this grip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:14 am

JR wrote:....What I consider the most surprising in the flights was the Valkyrie because it did fade some 7' on lesser distances but did only 3' at 400' without signs of tracking or flipping over. It stayed locked to flat. That's Teebird type of performance not a Valkyrie until now. I wasn't expecting it at all.

Good story. I also find that when I'm getting a good spin on the Valkyrie it flies extremely well for me at all the distance plateaus I've gone through in the past. My current opinion is that the Valkyrie is my hands-down favorite Innova disc for all around play. Every time I learn to throw better and go to another plateau it is the Valkyrie that is my most consistent disc. It is also more versatile than the Teebird (although I love the TB too).

I've been doing a cross between a fan grip and a power grip, but with my thumb-index fingers pinched hard. My middle fingers are slightly out under the flight plate and help me control orientation (I don't really use them otherwise).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby archimedesjs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks JR, I'll move the camera up more next time. Once again I apologise for that crappy quality, but I have my digital camera on loan to a relative. I'm stuck using the camera in my old cell phone.

I'll try out some of your recommendations this sunday. It's supposed to be raining today and tomorrow, so I can't get out:( Anyway, I'll try to put your suggestions into effect, and I'll post up another video the next opportunity I get. Thanks for taking the time out to watch, and critique. It's much appreciated.
archimedesjs
Noob

Return to Video Critique