Avery Jenkins drives. 2 points of view

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Avery Jenkins drives. 2 points of view

Postby mafa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:48 am

Here are the slow-motion drives JR and I shot a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

Matti
mafa
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: Avery Jenkins drives. 2 points of view

Postby black udder » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:46 pm

those are pretty awesome.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Wyno » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:19 pm

great stuff! would love to see more of these, thanks guys
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby rhatton2 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Those are fantastic slow mo shots, really gives us a great idea of what goes into the drive.

I had the great fortune over the weekend of witnessing Avery first hand and retrieving his discs for him as he attempted to break the British distance record along with Nate Doss, and clocked in at 202 meters I think this was quite categorically broken! I believe the biggest drive was done with the conventional back hand shot rather than the 360 spin, but I was so far away in the fading light I could hardly see!

Still, amazing shots, am going to try to work out something similar to analyse my own rather pathetic imitation!
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Postby Banzai » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:39 pm

Dude, in that first drive Avery gets nowhere near the right pec. He's slinging that thing from his left pec/ rear shoulder.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby black udder » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Banzai wrote:Dude, in that first drive Avery gets nowhere near the right pec. He's slinging that thing from his left pec/ rear shoulder.

Keep in mind that the right pec stuff is A method of throwing. Brad is teaching that and it's working for him and others. It's not the only method. What those guys are doing is bringing in tight to the chest at some point, stopping the elbow and they have great timing (as well as Avery having lots of upper body power and flexibility).

I want to say that Blake's theory is that if you can get Avery's power from not pulling in tight to the right pec, can it be increased by doing so? But I doubt the guys that aren't doing it are concerned with revamping their form for more distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Star Shark » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:00 pm

That's really great footage. You might even want to contact Avery's website http://www.averyjenkins7495.com to see if they want that video for their own demo purposes.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Banzai wrote:Dude, in that first drive Avery gets nowhere near the right pec. He's slinging that thing from his left pec/ rear shoulder.

That was exactly the first thing I noticed too. I know from my own experience I just don't get the same snap if I don't hug the right pec but damn... I was there when Avery won the distance competition at the Vibram with a throw of 601' whatever he's doing is working for him.

what

the

f....
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:50 pm

Animix wrote:That's really great footage. You might even want to contact Avery's website http://www.averyjenkins7495.com to see if they want that video for their own demo purposes.

That was the premise of the whole shoot in the planning stages. And hopefully getting Avery on TV. These videos were intentioned as a showcase and a calling card for TV producers and to tickle their interest.

It's great that Avery got to let off some steam by crushing a few because the courses that he competed on here are too short. I didn't witness it but was told that he threw an all the way anny to about 560'. Mafa can tell more. Apparently that's not opening up for him.

The field we filmed at was limited in size especially with respect to width tightening at 500'. With little more available if he hit the gap. That's why Val and Nate were spotting at the tight spot. FH and BH were thrown into that tight spot 360 was thrown into a wider spot off the driving field after day three at Tali Open 2009 at Tali in Helsinki, Finland. We were filming at sundown and the ground needed for run up for the 360 mandated a different position so I couldn't get as steep an angle. And had to contend with the sun shining into the camera. BH had the fastest exposure times at 1/5000 s and 360 shot last was down to 1/2000 IIRC.

The first throw was with my worn Star Xcaliber that flipped on him. The color bar was there for this shot to determine the spin. I had little height available and wanted to get the run up for form analysis so the disc exited the stage left before completing a full revolution. Judging where half revolution was completed and assuming the spin rate does not slow significantly I estimate 20 revolutions per second. One week prior to this session Avery threw 72 MPH at the Vibram Open.

I don't know how good the throw was for him form wise. Who am I to critique such a long thrower?

We've got more videos so they may come up later for comparison. Too bad not all of the BHs were that great on my part swinging atop a ladder on top of a table that wasn't stable with winds pushing me. Filming without support for the camera after tiring shooting an entire round. Filming with the gear I had is more taxing physically than playing. I was stiff for a week after the two weeks of filming the Tali Open and the European Open. I've seen so much good footage and good action from three amateur videographers on top of the pros present at the EO that it'd be a shame not to get DVDs. If only somebody wanted to make them. There was a guy taking 3D video at the EO as well. Even a Bluray is possible with most of the stuff filmed at 720P or 1080P. That would be a lot of disc golf firsts. If not sports firsts. If only somebody would take the trouble of doing the project.

For more goodies we've got lesser video quality from a lot more players from the European Open distance showcase the warm up for that and people going crazy afterward coming up at 300 FPS playedback at 29.97 FPS. The same as the top down view on Avery's videos. So the throws aren't perfectly synced but good enough. Kenny, Feldy, Doss, Kajiyama, Åström, Heinonen and a lot more. It was dusk already so there was very little light for shooting and the exposure time was 1/160 which doesn't produce unblurred still images all the time. Interestingly some were unblurred. The video is dark with a lot of noise.

Too bad there's editing to be done on the after showcase fun because there are minors in there whose parents I don't know and can't ask for permission. So the video can't be published as is without risk of legal action.

Physics experts: Any takers on measuring different body parts in action, angular speeds of body parts, specifying onset of acceleration for each part, generated power and so on?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:23 pm

while avery doesn't touch his right pec he still follows the basic motions prescribed here on DGR.....the whole Right Pec Drill was designed to teach us how to use our elbow as the main power fulcrum in the throw as opposed to the shoulder.....this is the main principle in the hit/late acceleration.....and what avery is doing in both of his backhand throws in this vid

now i agree that the tighter you pull across your chest you will generate more power/speed than if you are barely bending your elbow.....but avery is getting a decent elbow bend on these shots.....as seen from the very nice overhead angles

thank you JR and mafa for getting this together.....
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JHern » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 pm

mafa wrote:Here are the slow-motion drives JR and I shot a while back.

Excellent work. I've seen him play in person, but never in slo-mo.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Banzai » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:52 am

yes, this is some of the best footage I've ever seen of a top pro. Nice work.

As for the right pec thing, it's obviously working for him. I'm just kind of surprised at how few pros throw the Bradley/Beto/Blake way. Let's see, there's Timmy Gill, maybe Brinster. Who else?

There's no doubt the Bradley/Beto/Blake way works too. Just wonder if it's easier or harder to learn than other methods.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby practically invincible » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:27 am

I can't stop watching that forehand shot, with how fussy my elbow is having it extended during the snap like that I'd probably throw my forearm right down the field with the disc.
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 am

i think a lot of you guys are missing the point with the right pec DRILL....it is just a practice routine to get the thrower used to making the late acceleration from close to the chest (using the elbow as the last power fulcrum).....meaning that the right pec drill is an Exaggeration......once on the tee pad the goal is to make a good, fluid, smooth, powerful throwing motion
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:38 am

practically invincible wrote:I can't stop watching that forehand shot, with how fussy my elbow is having it extended during the snap like that I'd probably throw my forearm right down the field with the disc.

Just like overhead throws aren't for everyone some are limited in their FH capabilities. Current European Champion Ville Piippo threw such FHs that left Doss flabbergasted and Avery saying he won't reproduce those because he wants to be able throw when he's 40. Ville didn't start DG as early as Avery and javelin throwing and his massive tendons and not too shabby muscles may provide enough protection from the massive forces that attack his arm during FH drives through tunnels over 420' with pin point precision. With that said Avery's FHs are incredible even after seeing DVDs and vids of Geoff Bennett.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Video Critique