cruzduck's drives - take 4

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

cruzduck's drives - take 4

Postby cruz duck » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:16 pm

I have spent the last 3 days working on the right pec drill. The first two days I worked on late acceleration and accelerating through release. Below is a video of my right pec drill from this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLoS85NY-sA

Today I spent some time working on a bent elbow reach back. I started with the disc on my left shoulder and a bent arm. I started pulling and then punched my elbow out and then accelerated from there. At least that is what I was trying to do. The video below is from that drill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCyEtJvGg0

Note that I was really tired this morning. I am used to playing 3-4 rounds a week but I have thrown the last 12 days in a row. Mostly doing training drills where I am throwing 100 or so drives a day. Anyway, I think I need a few days off. This is really convienent since I will be out of town the next two days and won't be able to throw anyway. I am not sure of my plans this weekend, so I expect to start on drills again next Monday. Let me know what to work on next.
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: kc roc

Re: cruzduck's drives - take 4

Postby black udder » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 pm

keep the elbow at the same angle (as in the 2nd video), but reach the elbow further back and then throw.

Also, it looks like you're just chucking them without much intention. Honestly, if you're at that point, time off will help. You need to focus, otherwise you can just beat bad habits into your muscle memory. I notice some shots nose up, which wouldn't be good long term.

You could get over your plant foot a little more, but I don't know that I'd worry so much about that stuff right now as I would be searching for the "feel" that will deliver you some more distance.

Also, check out the Snap 2009 thread and Brad's new video. Perhaps that will help some, too. For what he's teaching, his intention doesn't get much clearer.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby cruz duck » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:06 pm

bu - thanks for the reply.

The time off was good for me. I have had a few sessions this week and I think I am progressing. However I am not happy with my routine. I have posted about a new routine on the General Discussion board. Hopefully, it will help make my sessions more productive.

My arm speed is still not where I want it to be, but I think it is getting better.

I am a little surprised that you suggested the Snap 2009 thread and Brad's video. I had looked at them, but did not pay much attention. At one point, Blake says that you should have the basics down and be throwing 350 feet before you begin working on snap. Do you really think I am ready to begin work on snap?
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 am

cruz duck wrote:bu - thanks for the reply.

The time off was good for me. I have had a few sessions this week and I think I am progressing. However I am not happy with my routine. I have posted about a new routine on the General Discussion board. Hopefully, it will help make my sessions more productive.

My arm speed is still not where I want it to be, but I think it is getting better.

I am a little surprised that you suggested the Snap 2009 thread and Brad's video. I had looked at them, but did not pay much attention. At one point, Blake says that you should have the basics down and be throwing 350 feet before you begin working on snap. Do you really think I am ready to begin work on snap?

I think that understanding it and being able to apply it at all will change how you throw and what you throw completely. Getting big snap is something else, that takes great timing and lots of other things have to fall into place.

What Brad is talking about though isn't just snap, he's showing how to throw (under his method) and it appears to work well. Brad isn't 20 years old or in the best physical shape, so what's working for him should work for a wide variety of folks.

He's also pretty good at explaining some of the stuff and having video to go along with what folks have mentioned to you could help more than just the words.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby cruz duck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:06 pm

bu: thanks for the reply. I have read through the SNAP 2009 thread and seen his video. I think I understand the idea, but I think I should read it carefully another time or two for it to sink in.

I think I am getting some snap on my throws (not big snap, but little snap), but I am not sure. Recently, I have found that some of the things I think I am doing aren't really occurring. I thought I was getting my weight forward, but I look at a video of myself and my weight isn't really forward. I get my weight forward during the right pec drill, but when I add a reach back, I don't get my weight completely forward.

I think I have a flat pull, look at a video and find that there is a loop in my pull. I start my pull with the disc up by my ear. I think I will need to exaggerate things. I think I need to lunge forward to make sure that I get my weight forward. I need to start with the disc extra low to make sure that I don't raise it up to my ear to start with. I also want to try folding my shoulder under.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on snap. I will read it again.
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:02 pm

For me, adding snap suddenly got things like my putters out to 200'+ easily. It hasn't increased my max D by a ton because when I do my x-step and throw I tend to pull away from my body, but for stand still throws, it improved my distance a lot. Before, I would throw 300' with an x-step. Now I believe I can throw 300'+ from a standing position. I know I've thrown darn near 350' standing, but it's not something I can repeat (because I keep changing things).

Snap will change the way all your discs fly, too.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby cruz duck » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:02 pm

My standstill putter drives are going from 200 to 210 feet. Even better they are flying on a flat, low line drive. Like you, that does not translate to my x-step. So I am working from the hit back. I am having to re-learn every step. I started with the right pec drill and was getting the discs to 180-190 feet. When I started with the standstill with a reachback, it did not go that far. After a few days working on that, I got it up to the current level. I am starting to work on a one step throw. The first day, they did not go much past 180 feet. Today was the second day and they have reached the 200-210 level. I expect in a few days, my one step throws will be past 210 feet. Then I will try to add an x-step and I fully expect to take a few days to master that. I also would not be surprised if I need a similar time to work on ROCs, then Leopards, then T-Birds.

While I whine about struggling with various issues (armspeed, flat pull, weight forward, etc), I am pretty pleased with my progress. Before I started, I was throwing my putters 150-180 feet with an x-step. Now, I am in the 200-210 range and that is from a standstill. And I am just beginning to get my lower body involved with the one step throws. Plus, my old throws were not flat, low line drives.

Note that these distances should be taken with a grain of salt, they were produced by counting paces. However I am seeing relative gains. All of the measurements are on the same field and my current standstill throws are 30 to 50 feet farther than my previous x-step throws. This weekend I hope to get to a football field to see how far I am really throwing.

I know that I am preaching to the choir, but Blake and MB really know what they are talking about. Like most people, I want to trust my instincts. My instincts say that I don't need to start with putters (I can learn just as well with fairway drivers), I don't need to do the right pec drill (I can learn the same principles with a one step throw), I don't need to work from the hit back (I can work on my worst flaw and leave the rest of my technique the same). In every case, my instincts were wrong and the advice I got from this board was right on.
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:27 pm

cruz duck wrote:I know that I am preaching to the choir, but Blake and MB really know what they are talking about. Like most people, I want to trust my instincts. My instincts say that I don't need to start with putters (I can learn just as well with fairway drivers), I don't need to do the right pec drill (I can learn the same principles with a one step throw), I don't need to work from the hit back (I can work on my worst flaw and leave the rest of my technique the same). In every case, my instincts were wrong and the advice I got from this board was right on.

Yeah preach it. Been there done that.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Keep in mind, to get more distance with the putters, you need a lot more air. Try throwing them higher. Because of the blunt nose, you won't get as much nose up issues. Sort of just aim for a spot 250' away and 30' in the air.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby cruz duck » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 am

Yes, brother bccst26, there is one more convert in the congregation!

bu - Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about that, I noticed that some of my throws seem to have more power left when they hit the ground.
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Return to Video Critique