Please help me develop my drive technique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Please help me develop my drive technique

Postby ManU » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Ok here are a few vids taken on Sept 23. Having watched them I am pretty sure I am doing a ton of things wrong. I am not pulling across my chest for a start but it appears to be across my waist. These drives went about 300 - 325 feet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YFpHCarzU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fbFbnXL7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZT2GALy6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDbzHfZfqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX1eF_38NSg

I went out again tonight (Sept 24) and tried to work on pulling across my chest but it was at the course rather than field practice and I can't say I was any better. I did try to get some tips from one of the local top players (he throws 450 and up). But, in addition to more practice with the right pec drill, I need more advice. I have been trying to do just the bent elbow but tonight was told to use more reach back.

Also, after watching these please look at my bag critique and give me some input there...in these vids I was not throwing what is in the bag critique...these were SLs, XSs, and Teebirds
Thanks

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Re: Please help me develop my drive technique

Postby Banzai » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:03 am

Couple things I've noticed:

1. Not pulling through tight enough to your chest. Your arm is swooping way out around.
2. Not utilizing weight shift. You need to be weight back until after the plant, then shift, then pull.
3. Not utilizing lower body power. The throw should start from the ground up.
4. Not finishing. You stop your arm/shoulder swing almost immediately after the disc comes out. You should be really cranking on the disc later, and allowing your finishing power to be strong. Basically, you're intentionally stopping when you should be pulling hard.

2 is related to 3. The biggest things to work on are trying to get more weight shift, pull later, finish stronger.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby JR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:35 am

Don't pull so fast with the arm so early and try to get the elbow out further toward the target then chop the elbow straight and allow the wrist to open (very difficult to learn to time) by which time the arm is straight pointed at the intended point. Plus what Banzai said. Try to twist quickly to the right with the hips. Ending up right of normal standing up position with the torso in relation to the knees.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ManU » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:10 am

OK, so there are a number of things to work on. Can I have each of your suggestions as to a starting point?
I assume the right pec drill with putters at a practice field. Should I then build on that to include Keltik's hip twist exercise that he shows in that particular video?
I should say that I did try a little bit of the hip twist exercise yesterday and it seemed (perhaps I wasn't doing it right) that it resulted in a fast pull through of my arm from the reach back even though I had not begun a pull. Is that something that I should utilize in order to get greater arm speed? i.e. use the hip rotation to get the arm started and then when the disc is at my right pec really pull through hard and fast at that point?
Is snap something to build AFTER that?

On the elbow chop issue: the chop I assume is the extension of the forearm around the elbow joint. If that is right, at what point should I be concentrating on the chop...once my elbow s ahead of my right shoulder?

I think I will need to work on the run up and weight transfer issues after I have addressed the arm motion issue.

Postby ManU » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:47 pm

So I did field practice today doing mostly right pec drill and then the reach back with hip rotation. I threw only putters (3 pro Rhyno's, ESP Banger GT, Voodoo, Magic, Warlock, XD, Star Rhyno, Soft Magnet...a mixed bag I know).
Standing throws only with the right pec drill went okay and the reach back with hip rotation went pretty well. I mostly threw down wind but did do some up wind as well.

Most throws went about 50 (150 feet) yards at first and then by the end I was getting a fairly consistent 65 (195 feet) to 75 (225 feet) yards on the throw. My best throws using just this method went 85 yards (255 feet) but there was only 2 of these. I really had to work hard at concentrating on form. Not sure if I was bringing the disc in close to my chest but I might have VCanuck take a look at that tonight for me.

Even though I still need to do more of this practice I tried a few throws with run up. I know my technique is bad because my throws with run up weren't that much better than my standing throws mostly going about 70 to 75 yards (maybe 75 to 80). The best throw went 95 yards or 285 feet (the XD went this far).

I know the yardage is accurate. I was throwing on a marked out football field.

I assume I should be trying to develop a further 50 feet on my running throws with putters. Is that fair? Or do I need to be able to get them to 350?

So how far should I expect to be able to throw a putter from just a standing position using the reach back and hip rotation? Should I set a practice goal of being able to consistently throw a putter the length of the field from standing? (Canadian field by the way so 110 yards 330 feet).

Timing and accuracy was still an issue. As, I am pretty sure, was OAT. I think I let my elbow drop and pull through from left to right in a downward motion as some of my throws were "turnover".

Postby JR » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:58 pm

ManU wrote:OK, so there are a number of things to work on. Can I have each of your suggestions as to a starting point?
I assume the right pec drill with putters at a practice field. Should I then build on that to include Keltik's hip twist exercise that he shows in that particular video?
I should say that I did try a little bit of the hip twist exercise yesterday and it seemed (perhaps I wasn't doing it right) that it resulted in a fast pull through of my arm from the reach back even though I had not begun a pull. Is that something that I should utilize in order to get greater arm speed? i.e. use the hip rotation to get the arm started and then when the disc is at my right pec really pull through hard and fast at that point?
Is snap something to build AFTER that?

On the elbow chop issue: the chop I assume is the extension of the forearm around the elbow joint. If that is right, at what point should I be concentrating on the chop...once my elbow s ahead of my right shoulder?

I think I will need to work on the run up and weight transfer issues after I have addressed the arm motion issue.

Elbow chop is straightening the arm fast so that the elbow is straight aka opened. The arm should start with very melow motion until the elbow points at the taget and the disc is by the right pec for right handed throwers. Fro there you should really put some oomph into straightening the arm.

That's the beauty of the hip explosion and when you put a late arm acceleration on top of it you're really cooking! Once people hae the foundation right it's usually suggested to work from the hit back. The reasons are that if you're tripping by colliding the legs together nothing's powerful and accurate and once you're decently accurate an repeatable the hit area work is the most important for getting extra distance. You've already done that late acceleration drill. More of it so that you can often get to your nice record can't hurt but you are lacking more in the hip department power generation than late acceleration so drilling both should give the most gains.

There's no upper limit on distance you should set on yourself but one also needs to develop a full skill set. Not only throwing far. Putting, accuracy and repeatability to at least 350', course management knowing your bag and how to manipulate fight all matter strokes per round on the most difficult courses.

BTW you and your friend are airbouncing which kills distance with golf discs. The discs need to have the front at the same height as the rear of the disc or lower. The height difference affects how much the disc turns early in the flight too and needs to be sorted in shot planning. Forcing the wrist down so that the disc is in line with the fore arm bones looking from the side is the usual starting point. Ifyou want to manipulate flight you can change this to more nose down or up but it's bad to limit yourself so just one manipulated version. That limits your options of flight shaping the need of which becomes more and more apparent the more different holes you are able to play. For flight shaping following through on a lower arm swing is a great method for consistently flipping a disc to land so that it'll roll and in less powerful throws or less severe arm dropping angle force a disc to start anhyzer. This is more important for very stable discs that you can't anny normally because understable discs turn naturally. Understable discs are harder to get to flex back to flat on low fast throws where using an annied piggish disc is preferable.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique