More videos to critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

More videos to critique

Postby DiscJay » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm back with more footage for y'all to critique. These aren't my best throws ever, but not totally off. I filmed these after already playing two rounds that day and I was kinda tired. I'd appreciate y'all tearing them apart and letting me know what I can work on. Thanks.

First 4 throws are recorded from behind me with the idea being to see if I am keeping the disc in close:

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm28 ... rView1.flv

These are from the side trying to see everything else:

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm28 ... eView1.flv

Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Re: More videos to critique

Postby maks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:45 pm

the first thing ill say is your not getting your weight forward. after some throws it seems your kinda leaned back a lil.

try pushing off your back foot while leaning forward that so it feels you need to take a step after the release so you don fall.

i dunno if this makes sense cause im terrible at giving throwing advice unless im physically showing someone. but i look at 0:47 of the second video and that throw is where i see the most of what im talking about.

hope i helped a lil
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby DiscJay » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:35 pm

I do see that now. Looks like I am too upright at the finish like you said. I will work on that. Funny thing is that when I throw mid to long range approaches I finish way more weight forward, almost like a Climo finish. Thanks very much for your input.

I think I have it down in my head. I'll work on that next time I get out to the field.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:17 pm

I wouldnt get too caught up in weight forward if you arent having trajectory problems or problems with nose up. You are looking pretty solid to me in the weight ofrward department. I would work on acceleration and see if you can slow down the beginning of your pull and accelerate through the hit more. It looks like you might be going 100% from the start of your pull and it looks like you could be more relaxed at the farthest point of your reach back.

Also, slowing your foot work down a little should help with the acceleration as well.

What kind of D are you getting? I would guess at least 350/360.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby maks » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 am

no offense but i
guessing 325-365?+...am i close?
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby DiscJay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:18 am

Those throws were all between 350 and 375 actually. Nice Aaron!! No offense taken maks. I do need to work on slowing the beginning of the pull, that's for sure. I'll work on that next field session. Thanks again guys and keep it all coming. Pick my technique apart. I will never take offense to any help/critique. Please, it's the only way I will get better.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:33 am

Second video first throw run is aimed for an anny with anny plant positions and the right hip/leg joint looks locked and the arm follow through is upward which is hyzer. If you bend the knees down more and take a little longer and more to the right plant position for the final step the locked joint problem may go away. It'll protect your body.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DiscJay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks JR, i'll work on that. Looks like I'll be in the field doing some throwing tomorrow so I will definitely work on all this stuff (and any other critiques forthcoming).....hint, hint..Blake, Dan, Bradley.......anyone else.

Good stuff so far. I am writing this all down on a list of things to work on tomorrow.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby black udder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:53 pm

From my experience, it's hard to throw a disc flat and nose down and these throws look flat and are shooting up right out of the gate. It would lead me to guess you might be getting them nose up at the rip - probably a loose wrist. I don't know what you're throwing here, but I'd recommend throwing some less overstable stuff and add some hyzer and see what that does for your flight. If you have a worn version of whatever you're throwing, that would work, too.

At the distances you mentioned, I don't believe that you'd be getting such lift.

Also, since it's really hard to see the discs, see if you can't aim right down the line that's in front of you in the video. That'll help with your accuracy and give you a gauge on if your distance is something you can use on the course. I only saw one disc after the rip and that was the blue one (3rd shot I think).

I'd also agree with the previous comment that you appear to be pulling from the reach back. Try and delay that pull until the disc is coming away from your chest out of the right pec area.

Seems like you have good flexibility for the follow through. That'll help if you can delay the pull and will increase your finish power.

Also looks like you're getting some wrist extension.

Do you get any tendon bounce when the disc comes into/out of your chest? The throw looks like a straight pull through. Just curious.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby DiscJay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:47 pm

black udder wrote:From my experience, it's hard to throw a disc flat and nose down and these throws look flat and are shooting up right out of the gate. It would lead me to guess you might be getting them nose up at the rip - probably a loose wrist. I don't know what you're throwing here, but I'd recommend throwing some less overstable stuff and add some hyzer and see what that does for your flight. If you have a worn version of whatever you're throwing, that would work, too.

At the distances you mentioned, I don't believe that you'd be getting such lift.

Also, since it's really hard to see the discs, see if you can't aim right down the line that's in front of you in the video. That'll help with your accuracy and give you a gauge on if your distance is something you can use on the course. I only saw one disc after the rip and that was the blue one (3rd shot I think).

I'd also agree with the previous comment that you appear to be pulling from the reach back. Try and delay that pull until the disc is coming away from your chest out of the right pec area.

Seems like you have good flexibility for the follow through. That'll help if you can delay the pull and will increase your finish power.

Also looks like you're getting some wrist extension.

Do you get any tendon bounce when the disc comes into/out of your chest? The throw looks like a straight pull through. Just curious.

Discs: Red 153 R Pro Boss, Orange 174 Champ Boss, Green 171 Champ Groove, Blue 175 Champ Groove

They could definitely have been nose up. Not quite sure. I have been trying to work on starting slow and accelerating late, but I guess I just get too excited and want to really sling it out there, lol. I will definitely work on that tomorrow.
I think i get tendon bounce around 3 out of ten throws. Or at least i feel it around that many times.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Keep it all coming, I am soaking it up and adding it to my list. I really am making a list to refer to while I am out in the field throwing to help keep me focused on why I am there.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby black udder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:34 pm

First off, I'd say that those discs are probably too much for your distance (for regular use anyway). You might do better with something like a Surge or Surge SS. By better, I mean you might get more straight flight and less meat hook at the end of the flight. If you can stand to break a star wraith in, they're pretty good or a champ wraith (in the mid 160's).

Not saying you can't throw those discs, but you might get more consistently better results with some less overstable or less fast drivers.

As for wanting to really sling it out there, I guarantee you will be amazed at how far you can throw it by being much slower up until the last second. What you should find by slowly down up to the right pec area is that you'll be more in control and you'll leave yourself a smaller cone of rip area so you should hit closer to your lines more often.

So... to recap. More accuracy with the same or more distance. What could be better? :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby DiscJay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:40 pm

black udder wrote:First off, I'd say that those discs are probably too much for your distance (for regular use anyway). You might do better with something like a Surge or Surge SS. By better, I mean you might get more straight flight and less meat hook at the end of the flight. If you can stand to break a star wraith in, they're pretty good or a champ wraith (in the mid 160's).

Not saying you can't throw those discs, but you might get more consistently better results with some less overstable or less fast drivers.

As for wanting to really sling it out there, I guarantee you will be amazed at how far you can throw it by being much slower up until the last second. What you should find by slowly down up to the right pec area is that you'll be more in control and you'll leave yourself a smaller cone of rip area so you should hit closer to your lines more often.

So... to recap. More accuracy with the same or more distance. What could be better? :)

Yeah, my plan after your last post was to take out the fast stuff and take my slower discs like my stalkers, valkyries, flashes and the rest rather than being tempted by the fast stuff. Plus I intend to play a round after field work with just putters, midranges, and fairway drivers.

By the way, thanks again for your time and advice.

Come one come all....tear apart my throws and help me improve. The more I improve and start seeing more aspects of the throw, the more I can start paying it back by helping others as well.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:47 pm

i would have guessed around 375' because there is nothing going wrong in your throw.

main thing: when we talk tight to the body, we mean tight towards the end of the pull (coming into the right pec and through the armpit) and exploding out.

your reach back is too tight to begin with.

so your just getting tight too early and forcing to throw away from your body (to the side of your body) and not hitting the power zone it seems like your releasing before or at the very beginning of the power zone.

reach back about a 1/2 a foot more away from your body, and while your pulling in, tuck that disc into your armpit and than kill it. see your disc at full reach back? your trying to pull it straight in parallel to your shoulders.

find a reach back that is at a relative distance away from your body (but not much) and tuck it into your armpit.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby DiscJay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:26 am

masterbeato wrote:i would have guessed around 375' because there is nothing going wrong in your throw.

main thing: when we talk tight to the body, we mean tight towards the end of the pull (coming into the right pec and through the armpit) and exploding out.

your reach back is too tight to begin with.

so your just getting tight too early and forcing to throw away from your body (to the side of your body) and not hitting the power zone it seems like your releasing before or at the very beginning of the power zone.

reach back about a 1/2 a foot more away from your body, and while your pulling in, tuck that disc into your armpit and than kill it. see your disc at full reach back? your trying to pull it straight in parallel to your shoulders.

find a reach back that is at a relative distance away from your body (but not much) and tuck it into your armpit.

I think I know what you mean about the reachback. I was watching the throws from behind and it's like my reachback curls around me instead of straight back. Is that what you are talking about? I can see where that would force me to come out away from the right pec as it moves forward.

I know that I wasn't concentrating on getting my elbow forward that day which usually helps me keep the disc in tight to the right pec, elbow and armpit. More to add to my list, thank you soooo much. This is all gonna be great for my field session today or tomorrow.

Once again, thank you all for your time and advice. Keep it coming.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby black udder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:49 am

I'd previously thought that you reach back and pull in a straight line from the back to the front, but as Dan said, if you do that, it's harder to keep the disc in tight when it gets to the right pec. Thus, if you reach back a little away (Barry Schultz is an exaggerated example) you can pull into the armpit like Dan is saying instead of having to try and stay in tight all the way across your chest, which may give you the impression you're tight all the way but at the point of the right pec when you want to be close, you might find you're further out than you thought.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Next

Return to Video Critique