More videos to critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: More videos to critique

Postby DiscJay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:36 pm

black udder wrote:I'd previously thought that you reach back and pull in a straight line from the back to the front, but as Dan said, if you do that, it's harder to keep the disc in tight when it gets to the right pec. Thus, if you reach back a little away (Barry Schultz is an exaggerated example) you can pull into the armpit like Dan is saying instead of having to try and stay in tight all the way across your chest, which may give you the impression you're tight all the way but at the point of the right pec when you want to be close, you might find you're further out than you thought.

Yeah, I can see that. I tried it in the family room in slow and medium speeds and I see what y'all mean.

I tried that in the field today too with a shorter reachback but I was having issues with the disc slipping out rather than ripping out. I took some more video from today which I will post soon.

Let me know anything else y'all see and I will work on it.

Thanks again for everyone's time and advice. Hopefully this will keep all talk and theories coming. Think of me as your personal student that we can all throw theories and tried and true techniques at for all of us to learn from.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby black udder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:47 pm

My opinion on the early slipping is that you're pulling too fast, too early and the disc is not bouncing out of the right pec. It's also indicative of the grip being a little loose. When you pull, you have to tighten the grip... I think it does naturally to some extent.

Remember that Blake has always said that timing is what separates the big throwers from the average folks. It's timing for when to pull, when to grip, how fast in, how fast out, where your body is to allow you to perform those actions, etc.

Keep it up.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby DiscJay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:46 pm

black udder wrote:My opinion on the early slipping is that you're pulling too fast, too early and the disc is not bouncing out of the right pec. It's also indicative of the grip being a little loose. When you pull, you have to tighten the grip... I think it does naturally to some extent.

Remember that Blake has always said that timing is what separates the big throwers from the average folks. It's timing for when to pull, when to grip, how fast in, how fast out, where your body is to allow you to perform those actions, etc.

Keep it up.

Thanks Udder. I kinda fixed the slipping in the throws that I recorded though they weren't perfect either. I think that possibly during the throws that were slipping I was concentrating so much on starting slower and accelerating from the right pec that I wasn't tightening my grip at the hit.

It kinda sucked that the first throw I recorded today was way nose up and thrown sky high, but I think part of it was that I slipped on the wet grass/muddy field I was throwing at. I haven't watched the throws yet, but as soon as I can I will watch them and then get them converted and posted.

I kinda figure my timing will be all messed up for a while as I try to change and fix things. I keep watching the Beto videos to kinda get all of it into my head and feel his timing.

Thanks again for your time and input, I really feel like I am learning things here and getting them set in my head for next time I get out to throw.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby black udder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:24 pm

Yeah, you're right about things being messed up for awhile.

I've gone up and down in distance and accuracy all year that I've been working on it.

Downside is some horrible throws yielding me 4's & 5's on birdie holes (yes, like 230' holes).

Upside is I've birdies a few 400'+ holes (typically downhill) and some 350' or so holes on flat ground that I would never have birdied in previous years.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby DiscJay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:37 pm

black udder wrote:Yeah, you're right about things being messed up for awhile.

I've gone up and down in distance and accuracy all year that I've been working on it.

Downside is some horrible throws yielding me 4's & 5's on birdie holes (yes, like 230' holes).

Upside is I've birdies a few 400'+ holes (typically downhill) and some 350' or so holes on flat ground that I would never have birdied in previous years.

Yeah, I'm willing to deal with the inevitable steps backward to move forward even further.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby DiscJay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Okay, so here are some throws from today's field session. I was trying a shorter reachback to see if I could start slower and hit it better from the right pec. I noticed much more than the previous videos some nose up.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm28 ... stfour.flv

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm28 ... ndfour.flv

Let me know if you see any progress. The first throw on one set was insanely nose up and launched really high. The others seemed better to me. I did lose distance from the previous videos in this thread, but that's okay. Hopefully it will be one step back two steps forward.

As always, thanks for everyone's time and advice.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Eventually you need to start learning to get the maximum muscle power generation from your body to increase D. That would involve taking run up steps, planting with the toes 90-180 degrees away from the target, twisting the hips farther left at the reach back so that your shoulders are 200 degrees from the target meaning the need to turn the shoulders even more than the torso at 180 from the target and getting a more explosive hip twist after the disc is at the right pec.

You could lean more into a hyzer stance so that your right shoulder area is partially above the disc as you pull under the arm pit. That will lower your pull line which makes the arm muscles looser lessening internal resistance speeding up the acceleration.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DiscJay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:30 pm

I work on the lower body separately a lot of the time. I used to do discus and shot put for the decathlon back in my Track and Field days so I am modifying that uncoiling action to fit disc golf. It's not exactly the same but the concept is similar. I agree that I need to put all of this together but I guess I am more working on the upper body/pull/hit stuff right now. I've always broken my training down into modules that I work separately and then put them together and it has always worked. I can't wait to put it all together and see what happens.

I'll try more of a hyzer/lower pull next time out in the field. I did feel like I was way to rigid and tense in my throws today. That usually happens with me until I get something down and loosen up the muscles to move quicker and more powerfully.

Thanks again for the time and advice. This is why I love this site.
DiscJay
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 am

your pull is a lot better, your coming in tight in the necessary placements.

bring it into that armpit more, tuck that shit in ya know!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby DiscJay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:35 pm

masterbeato wrote:your pull is a lot better, your coming in tight in the necessary placements.

bring it into that armpit more, tuck that shit in ya know!

Thanks Masterbeato, I thought it looked better. So far today I have been doing dry throws with my reach back further away from my body and I am finding it easier to really get it tucked in tight to the armpit. I can't wait to get back out to the field to put this into some real throws.

Thanks again for your time and advice. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
DiscJay
Noob

Previous

Return to Video Critique