Tell me how bad I am...

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tell me how bad I am...

Postby suprnva » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:17 pm

So here are a couple videos I took today when I was out on the course. One has a couple throws from close up and the other has a couple from further back so you can see my run up and everything. I'm sure I'm doing stuff wrong so please let me know what it is. Oh, and refrain from the fat jokes if possible. lol. Thanks!

Close:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-v-Q6ksxhY
Far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFd4pMpzR8
suprnva
Noob

Favorite Disc: Drone

Re: Tell me how bad I am...

Postby beatz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Bob has bitch tits.

Sorry dude just kidding but i can say that cause im 330.

No all jokes aside, IT looks like you have a very shortened follow through. Try to come over on the disc. Also looks like your reach back is short and around your neck, almost like your curling your arm. Pull from the back towards the front. Nice fluid motion, you seem very jerky throughout the whole scenario.
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Postby Star Shark » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm no expert but I'll repeat the basics.

Get your hips and shoulders turned more away from the target
Extend your reach back more
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby suprnva » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 pm

beatz wrote:Bob has bitch tits.

Sorry dude just kidding but i can say that cause im 330.

No all jokes aside, IT looks like you have a very shortened follow through. Try to come over on the disc. Also looks like your reach back is short and around your neck, almost like your curling your arm. Pull from the back towards the front. Nice fluid motion, you seem very jerky throughout the whole scenario.

I'll allow the Fight Club quote. lol.

Thanks for the info.
suprnva
Noob

Postby beatz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:03 pm

I just noticed something else and im sorry im not trying to pick on you im really not. If anything this hopefully will save you from breaking your ankle. Watch the first video on your first drive. Watch your plant foot. You keep that up you will surely break your ankle. Your pivot the point should start on your heel and with the rotation to end on the balls of your feet. Now this really isnt meant to be a dig at your weight like i said im 330 down from over 400, but i assume your in the 280 range ? With your build not pivoting correctly can cause soreness on the ankle if not you actually twisting/spraigning or even worse.
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Postby suprnva » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:10 pm

beatz wrote:I just noticed something else and im sorry im not trying to pick on you im really not. If anything this hopefully will save you from breaking your ankle. Watch the first video on your first drive. Watch your plant foot. You keep that up you will surely break your ankle. Your pivot the point should start on your heel and with the rotation to end on the balls of your feet. Now this really isnt meant to be a dig at your weight like i said im 330 down from over 400, but i assume your in the 280 range ? With your build not pivoting correctly can cause soreness on the ankle if not you actually twisting/spraigning or even worse.

What's strange is the first one I pivot, wrong, but I pivot. The second I just plant my front foot and it doesn't turn at all. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
suprnva
Noob

Postby Mason65 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:12 pm

I like the weight transfer and that you keep your chest down. As mentioned before, try a little more reach back, but not so much that it slows your pull.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby JR » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:59 pm

Your follow through breaks the initial plane of the arm swing going low flipping the disc too much. If I saw correctly in the far view you weren't running anny way like you were in the close ups. Both had the arm swinging down hard. Close up looked more like intentional OAT roller only without the lower back arching. Do you flip overstable discs? Can you throw flat with stable to understable discs without flipping out farther than 200'? If not check out how things change by not changing the direction of the arm motion in the follow through.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby suprnva » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:02 pm

JR wrote:Your follow through breaks the initial plane of the arm swing going low flipping the disc too much. If I saw correctly in the far view you weren't running anny way like you were in the close ups. Both had the arm swinging down hard. Close up looked more like intentional OAT roller only without the lower back arching. Do you flip overstable discs? Can you throw flat with stable to understable discs without flipping out farther than 200'? If not check out how things change by not changing the direction of the arm motion in the follow through.

The only disc I flip over unintentionally is the Surge. I can throw my XS flat and it flies about 340' on a good throw.
suprnva
Noob

Postby black udder » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Some quick things:

1) you're approach/run up is too fast. Start slow and build.
2) You pull from the back of your reach back at 100%. Doing that you can't increase your speed at the hit.
3) You're not using your hips. Try pivoting on them and not picking up the back foot until it comes up. Right now, the lower body is pretty stiff.
4) You could try a lower pull. It's up around your neck area now. A lower pull might enable you to get over the disc a little more and get a little more power.
5) I also think that you're not stopping your elbow, you're pulling it past your target, so the disc is coming out at a weaker spot vs in tight to the right pec.

Take a look at the Driving with Dan video and you'll see that Dan's driving is a build up to the hit. Slow, faster, faster POW!

The only thing you do with a fast run up is increase your inaccuracy. Imagine a half arc around the tee with the center pointing to your target. Your goal is to pull about 30 degrees before the center through 30 degrees past the center.

The pull motion you do from the reach back is just to build momentum for the disc to bounce off the tendons when it hits the right pec area.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:16 pm

suprnva wrote:
JR wrote:Your follow through breaks the initial plane of the arm swing going low flipping the disc too much. If I saw correctly in the far view you weren't running anny way like you were in the close ups. Both had the arm swinging down hard. Close up looked more like intentional OAT roller only without the lower back arching. Do you flip overstable discs? Can you throw flat with stable to understable discs without flipping out farther than 200'? If not check out how things change by not changing the direction of the arm motion in the follow through.

The only disc I flip over unintentionally is the Surge. I can throw my XS flat and it flies about 340' on a good throw.

Surges aren't flippy. Odd that others won't flip. Is your XS in Z plastic which is much beefier than X?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby suprnva » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:28 am

JR wrote:
suprnva wrote:

Surges aren't flippy. Odd that others won't flip. Is your XS in Z plastic which is much beefier than X?

Yeah, the XS are in Z. Surges really are the only things I've flipped without trying too. It didn't make any sense but I've not traded them for some Forces so I won't be flipping any big drives anytime soon. lol.
suprnva
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:21 am

XS isn't as tall in the inner rim so it leaves the fingers cleaner than Surges in many cases before disc shape immunity kicks in.

In the future I wouldn't be so hasty to change molds just because you can't release cleanly now. As hand strength and flexibility improves and you learn to squeeze lightly with pinky to ring finger and very moderately with the middle finger and hard with the index finger and thumb inches away from the rip clean releases with a variety of disc shapes becomes easy. I had the worst of times with the Teebird for the first half years. I had to drop them initially because I couldn't get a clean release for the life of me. Pinky and ring finger sticking. If I can get used to tall and wide rimmed discs anybody should be able to use most discs eventually. I've got nerve damage of the arm that aggravates each time I grip a disc plus I have small hands.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby suprnva » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:33 am

JR wrote:XS isn't as tall in the inner rim so it leaves the fingers cleaner than Surges in many cases before disc shape immunity kicks in.

In the future I wouldn't be so hasty to change molds just because you can't release cleanly now. As hand strength and flexibility improves and you learn to squeeze lightly with pinky to ring finger and very moderately with the middle finger and hard with the index finger and thumb inches away from the rip clean releases with a variety of disc shapes becomes easy. I had the worst of times with the Teebird for the first half years. I had to drop them initially because I couldn't get a clean release for the life of me. Pinky and ring finger sticking. If I can get used to tall and wide rimmed discs anybody should be able to use most discs eventually. I've got nerve damage of the arm that aggravates each time I grip a disc plus I have small hands.

I didn't change just because the Surge was turning over for me, I changed because the Force is a longer disc for me (I've had them before and shouldn't have gotten rid of them) and I prefer more overstable plastic as it's more predictable.
suprnva
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:12 pm

suprnva wrote:
JR wrote:XS isn't as tall in the inner rim so it leaves the fingers cleaner than Surges in many cases before disc shape immunity kicks in.

I didn't change just because the Surge was turning over for me, I changed because the Force is a longer disc for me (I've had them before and shouldn't have gotten rid of them) and I prefer more overstable plastic as it's more predictable.

The flip side to that is that Surge is better for learning line shaping and straight drives. That Z XS is still so stable that it will hide form flaws. Something definitely less high speed stable is gonna help with form improvements. Leo/Cyclone/JLS/Cheetah are often used for that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Video Critique