Am I losing power?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Am I losing power?

Postby Kamehame » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:00 am

I´ve been playing about 1,5yr and haven't ever really got any spesific advices on my drive. My max drive is about 400ft(not consistent) at the moment but I feel like I´m wasting a lot of energy somewhere...

I really appreciate any constructive comments on the video..

back (boss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKpXAIOjaLU

side (boss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXDbrsc3Cik
I always forgot to put on something more colorful wear... But next time I´ll just use my underwear so you can really see how the disc moves :wink:

side new (hysteria)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAMxegqMtMo

side new (star wraith, small hyzer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGZGYAyP-8w

Normal speed(newer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vooRAy4sGe8

Above(newer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpd2HjKlObY
Last edited by Kamehame on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
Kamehame
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hysteria

Re: Am I losing power?

Postby Lithicon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:27 am

Honestly, from the looks of it, we're right about the same area. And, only thing I can think of from the video is maybe the Right pec dril might help a little bit. Looks like you weren't quite getting the disc in towards your chest and tucked in toward the right pec, and didn't get wrist bounce. I dunno, I'm not the best with technique issues. The Video is very nice quality, but some others might want a different view from the side facing you, or slightly above.

I really should get come video of me doing some drives. Perhaps since it's warmed up a little I can do that with a buddies camera!
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby Kamehame » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 am

Go ahead mate. Since you thought we're about same level you might as well add the video here and it will make a great comparable!

I´ll add video from side as well to give a better perspective.
Kamehame
Noob

Postby Lithicon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 am

I am going to contact my buddy later to see if I can borrow his camera! So this should be interesting. Lol. Rain forecast for the next few days, so it could be a while before I get the video posted.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:08 am

Moi mistä löytyy sula fudiskenttä?

Your final step is way too long for the speed you're running at. I'd take at least 20 cm shorter final step. Probably 40 cm to the right with the last step landing and not leaning hard left with the whole body pivots you faster and makes your throws more accurate and repeatable. Getting the elbow farther toward the target before straightening the lower arm will increase distance in the long run if not immediately.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Kamehame » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:02 am

Thank you very much for the pointers! I´ll be trying those tomorrow when I hit the field again with camera.
Last edited by Kamehame on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamehame
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:48 pm

your shoulders are not staying parallel long enough. meaning that they are coming in too early.

your shoulders on the reach back are away from the target (good).

pull through to the left pectoral is when they begin parallel position (good), but if you kept that elbow moving forward past the right pectoral with your shoulders still in the parallel position will be the correct way (your shoulders are coming in early meaning they are not staying parallel long enough). than after you cannot push the elbow out any farther, is when you should come through the rest of the way with your shoulders.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Kamehame » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:38 am

I tried it without discs and I really see the difference with delayed shoulders and elbow leading throw. The elbow feels like it has a lot more room to go farther, what JR was also pointing out to do more.

Thanks I really appreciate it!

I´m going to field in two hours and gonna get some better video as well, with some improvements I hope :!:
Kamehame
Noob

Postby Kamehame » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Well I got the video, but unfortunately I had too little time to practice the changes before recording so I don't think there's a lot difference. I was thinking which would be better with the last step - is it better to kinda "run through"(extra step I take forward after the throw) or more weight on the back/center which would leave me standing still and the body would rotate more.

Anyway here's the new video, btw my clothing was better this time but the sun was aligned with the field so the shadows are messing with the lines now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAMxegqMtMo
Kamehame
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:44 am

Brr cold in that outfit :-) Personally I'd say with that speed it gets difficult and leg power demanding not to step trough although a pivot with that power would be nice and fast. At least that step through protects your body. Your final step with the right leg is about 30 cm too long and watch what happens to your right knee and hip during the pivot once the right knee becomes straight. Your foot gets anchored to the ground and brakes the forward weight shift abruptly stressing your body a lot. What is more is the locking of the hip which stops you from pivoting to the right and just trips you forward.

You're missing the traction and a part of the powering of the leg pivot when your left knee becomes straight too early and the sole of the left foot ain't on the ground. You're kicking nothing with the side of the left shoe sliding, not pushing, on the ground. I know I'm going back there all the time when I run up fast :-( Not enough enough power and my final step also gets extended too far forward often. With even higher run up speeds still not helping always with weight shift forward or pivoting. A true pivot needs to start with forward and to the right pivoting left leg push helped with the right leg pivot that also turns to the right from the feet and knees.

To help avoid jamming the hip and the right leg try to move the final planting position of the right leg about 10 cm right for a disc horizontal release or even more for hyzers. Your current placement is good for a couple of degree anhyzer release.

You've only got about 10 cm to go until the elbow points straight at the target as far away from the side as possible. That's close and better than most already. Smaller nit pics: You start to accelerate the arm hard at about center of the chest -wait about 15 cm farther with the disc. You could get a little closer to the right pec with the disc and if you got the elbow farther forward before turning the chest from 90 degrees to the left of the target your currently too early rotating torso would not be in the way of the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Kamehame » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 am

Great advices again mate, thank you! And yeah it was chilly! :D

It´s so easy and comfortable to excercise those indoor so I´ll try to get my body acquainted with it. I think I´ll need to slow down my steps little to be able to get the timing right. You also made interesting point about the foot planting indicating that I´m throwing an anhyzer. But I don't really throw a lot of anhyzers, so that's one definite hindrance!

Well anyway... a sign of better was already showing in the last session, as I was getting more accurate and consistent shots at range 330-360 feet. So atm my goal is to get those drives more confident and to 400 feet. But in order to get that I of course need to max D more than that :twisted:
Kamehame
Noob

Postby Lithicon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:44 am

I noticed that what Beato said earlier about the Non-throwing shoulder coming through too early was one of my main problems. I fixed it before, but wasn't exactly sure what I fixed, then I started suffering from it again, and finally realized the disc hit my chest a few times and I was throwing my non-throwing shoulder forward too soon.

Also, I noticed that my run up has slowed down dramatically compared to what I'd been doing before when I was OATing disc out the wazoo. I can throw Roc's 350' now with just a simple slow run up, but it's weird because throwing max distance feels different, and I can't quite nail it down now. My final step feels way too long, but trying to fix it doesn't seem to work, or help my distance. I can throw smaller diameter disc much better now in the 350+ region. Where I could easily throw my Wraith's and Nukes well into 380-410 range. Now I'm struggling to do so, I know it's because I've changed my form some. But, this is helping me some!

Eventually I hope we'll both catch on to those little things we've both missing and start exploding well into the 400+ range. Cause, at this point it seems like those little details are what are holding us back!
I've felt it coming, and days where I can hit 430' effortlessly. But, those days are few and far between. One day I'll be able to claim 450'+! :wink:
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Kamehame » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:09 am

Yeah well here's some action from last mid-summer :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIVxIKD7LhE

There's some heavy early shoulder rotation. But like you said It's more about those details at the moment, and they might even be the hardest :x

...and the most enjoyable. :)
Kamehame
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:01 am

You're welcome! That footage from last summer has the run direction, foot placement and final step length plus knee bend that you want. The only thing I'd change there was to push more rotationally to pivot better to the right instead of stepping through that may require more muscle tension in stiffening the right leg so that your knee won't bend and throw you forward instead of rotation to the right. And adding more speed.

Try to see how fast you can run and not suffer in form. That's your decision line on a medium tight or tighter fairway vs distance. Anything longer and you need to decide if you want to push by trying to go farther or if you're content with sure placement with good, not maximum, distance. In an open place feel free to rip it.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Kamehame » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 am

Okay, got to fields again yesterday and tried out some of the new techniques I´ve been advised here. Shortening the last step is a pain... Also tried the stepping right and I have to say it worked out somewhat.. I think I got faster pivot from it but I was only getting these huge hyzer shots. Even though this will help me in the future making those hyzer-shots, I´m wondering should I be able to make flat shots with the same foot placing(right) as well?
Kamehame
Noob

Next

Return to Video Critique