Ugly Ugly Video

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ugly Ugly Video

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue May 04, 2010 9:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-HtZoICBi8

Shot a quick video in the basement with our digital camera tonight. I was going to edit it and take a look in slow-motion, but Movie Maker crashed every time I tried to import the file.

There's only one throw, so you can fast forward to the last few seconds.

At this speed (and angle) I didn't really see anything I don't already know. Elbow not out enough, not enough pause at 90 degree rotation, too constant a speed through the entire throw (I think my normal throw isn't quite this bad though - I felt cramped and rushed).

Hopefully I can get into the field with a real camera sometime soon, but in the meantime, any thoughts you guys share would be appreciated.

I really struggle with keeping my shoulders from rotating early, and I can't figure out how to stop doing it. I end up turning that lead shoulder during the Right Pec Drill as well.

For Reference: I'm dancing the line between 275' and slightly over 300' line drives with a Champ Teebird.
The Burd's Trade List | Aviar - Zone - Buzzz - XS - Teebird - Force
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Ugly Ugly Video

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 pm

After watching it a bit more, I may have realized something.

I think my "slowing pause" is in the wrong position. It seems that I slow or pause at my reachback, and then pull through from that left pec position. Can anyone verify that for me?
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby Flipflat » Tue May 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Is that link messed up?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Dr. Burd » Tue May 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Hmmm...I don't think so, the link works for me...
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 pm

Camera anxiety is real and is worse when you know it's gonna be published. Just relax and laugh before you throw and press rec button.

I go back to strong arming all the time and forget to pause too often when I'm doing field practice and trying to throw far. I'm a mess. What often works for me is to walk in a mild x step fashion with super short steps slowly right side facing the target and not reaching back so far that you need to turn the back toward the target. While slowly pulling the arm to right pec position. Maintaining chest 90 degrees left of the target all the while. Doing that in a row for as long as it takes then starting out slowly throwing mega relaxed to short distances then upping power incrementally often helps.

I'd move your right leg 6" to the right on the plant step btw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dr. Burd » Wed May 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, JR. I'll have to try your drill for keeping my shoulders at 90 degrees longer.

If I have one question right now, I think it would be about the pull/elbow stopping into the hit.

I have not once felt like I could give any power to the forearm whip near the end of the throw when getting my elbow into the right position (disc basically beyond my right pec, under my armpit). From that position, I feel extremely weak and incapable of truly accelerating.

The only way I've felt I can get through that point is by driving my elbow as hard and fast as I can. Unfortunately, that also means I'm accelerating too quickly before the hit.
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14 pm

I suggest filming your throws outside so you can concentrate on a full run-up and follow through instead of keeping from getting hurt inside that murder chamber of a basement. School is almost out so you can probably "borrow" a ball field of some type for about an hour or so a day or on the weekends.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Try attaching an exercise rubber bad with handles on both end to a door handle and pull with the elbow only like in the elbow chop until your forearm is like that of Popeye.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Dr. Burd » Thu May 06, 2010 7:55 pm

JR wrote:Try attaching an exercise rubber bad with handles on both end to a door handle and pull with the elbow only like in the elbow chop until your forearm is like that of Popeye.

I might try that.

Do you mean to place the handle in the crook of my arm, behind the elbow, and basically pull from extended elbow back to right pec position? That doesn't seem like it works the forearm, maybe I misunderstand you.

Is there a name for this particular exercise? A picture or diagram would be helpful...

I might just try searching "forearm exercises" and see what pops up.
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 07, 2010 4:26 am

Dr. Burd wrote:
JR wrote:Try attaching an exercise rubber bad with handles on both end to a door handle and pull with the elbow only like in the elbow chop until your forearm is like that of Popeye.

I might try that.

Do you mean to place the handle in the crook of my arm, behind the elbow, and basically pull from extended elbow back to right pec position? That doesn't seem like it works the forearm, maybe I misunderstand you.

Is there a name for this particular exercise? A picture or diagram would be helpful...

I think he meant grab the handle with your hand, start out in the right pec position (elbow out etc.) and then just punch towards the target, moving only your forearm. This part of the throw is the elbow chop. It'll strengthen your forearm some because the strain it puts on your wrist, but mostly I'd think it'd do wonders for your triceps. You can also incorporate the wrist extension to this move.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Fri May 07, 2010 5:34 am

jubuttib wrote:
Dr. Burd wrote:

I might try that.

I think he meant grab the handle with your hand, start out in the right pec position (elbow out etc.) and then just punch towards the target, moving only your forearm. This part of the throw is the elbow chop. It'll strengthen your forearm some because the strain it puts on your wrist, but mostly I'd think it'd do wonders for your triceps. You can also incorporate the wrist extension to this move.

This.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Dr. Burd » Fri May 07, 2010 6:58 am

Got it. Thanks for clarifying that.
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique