Feedback on drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Feedback on drives

Postby Airwide » Sat May 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Hello all,

I've been playing disc golf regularly since august 2009 and my drives max out at around 290'-310' (occasionally at 330') on golf lines. I would like to get some feedback on how tp improve my driving distance.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0eCZXPRM5c

There was about 3-5 m/s headwind.

Approximate distances:
X Buzzz - 250'
Valkyrie - 300'
Orion LS - 300'

Help is much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Arvid
Airwide
Noob

Re: Feedback on drives

Postby JR » Sun May 16, 2010 12:53 am

Welcome. Where do you come from you have a Nordic name?

You plant foot 70-80 degrees left of the target. Planting can be done up to 180 away and properly executed every degree adds power. To properly execute isn't easy so initially you might lose power from going too far for your comfort. Your final step is too long because you didn't get your heart as close to the target as the right knee. If you bent your waist forward that could happen. So try the waist bend forward first.

Prior to reaching back you hold the disc close to the right pectoral muscle where it needs to be during the throw. You turn the body too early toward the target so that the disc is close to the left pec. But yu turn so early and so fast that by the time the disc is at the right pec there is a lot of distance between the disc and the right pec. This takes away from the angle of the elbow which reduces snap and robs power.

Try to get your elbow as far as it can go toward the target minus a couple of centimeters when your chest points 90 degrees left of the target. If you plant the final step 180 from the target your turning toward the target should come in two distinct different 90 degree phases. First you turn slowly from full reach back to chest 90 left of the target and get the front of the disc close to the left side. Then you pause the rotation and slowly move the arm so that the disc is by the right pec and close to it.Only then you begin the other 90 degree turn.

You accelerate from the left pec area with the arm. Delaying that until the disc is at the right pec gives more distance once you learn to get explosive acceleration from the elbow straightening.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sun May 16, 2010 1:10 am

There's a slight mismatch of running direction and final step placement vs disc release angle. Your x step direction and final step planting are aligned with each other for a flat throw but the arm is making an anhyzer with a little plane breaking. That is the arm moves down lower than it should after the disc has left. That increases anhyzer via of axis torque. If you have a 5 degree hyzer in the throw the follow through should be with a 5 degree angle above the horizon.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Airwide » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 am

I'm from Stockholm, Sweden. Where are you from?

Thank you for the feedback! So if I get you right, I need to work on:

1. Plant foot direction
2. Chest position in relation to right knee.
3. Accelerate later, from right pec.
4. Torso axis

More soccer field practice coming up. :)

/Arvid
Airwide
Noob

Postby Banjar » Sun May 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Airwide wrote:More soccer field practice coming up. :)
/Arvid

How about tuesday before the round? :wink:

/Kristian
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

Postby JR » Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Airwide wrote:I'm from Stockholm, Sweden. Where are you from?

Thank you for the feedback! So if I get you right, I need to work on:

1. Plant foot direction
2. Chest position in relation to right knee.
3. Accelerate later, from right pec.
4. Torso axis

More soccer field practice coming up. :)

/Arvid

Hej jag är från Helsingfors. Jagspelade i Järva några veckor sedan. Halv speed golf med resultat som man kan gissa för någon som nästan aldrig gör det. Jag hade bråttom. Dom är saker som ska hjälpa dig efter du presterar bättre.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Airwide » Sun May 16, 2010 11:56 pm

Banjar: :) I hope I can get away from work tomorrow at 1600.

JR: We played Järva for the first time this year on April 18th. We passed a bunch of guys from Finland at the tee of hole 20. Were you one of them?

I've been thinking about the plant foot direction. I find it hard to understand how you can plant at close to 180 degrees. Do you have a video example?
Airwide
Noob

Postby JR » Mon May 17, 2010 6:47 am

No I was playing alone. I can't immediately recall other instances of foot pointed away from the target on video than Scott Stokely's video series and 2004 world championships DVD where a boys 13 division player from America had his back facing the target at the reach back and IIRC the foot was also far away from the target. For an unusual take on this search youtube for Brad Hammock or watch masters division footage on recent Worlds DVDs. He's been in finals a lot and won a great many times.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique