2 kids really messes with your form.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2 kids really messes with your form.

Postby sharkthrower » Mon May 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Since my second daughter was born I have had sparse time to practice or even play. Now that I've finally found some more time, I've discovered I have totally regressed in my form. I can't hit the lines I once hit; I can't get the D I once could; nothing works. I've started to become thumber/tommy dominant because those are more controllable for me. Well, that doesn't do me good in every situation.

I know something (many things) is wrong with my throw, I just don't know what it is -- I just know the throws never feel "right." Please, rip my throw apart and show me what needs to be worked on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK2idjiDWeg
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Re: 2 kids really messes with your form.

Postby terazen » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm

It looks like your hips are coming open when the disc is still behind your left shoulder. Try and get the disc further across your chest before pulling out. Also you might gain a little power from pulling the disc across lower on your body.
terazen
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Postby JR » Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 am

You're walking in an arc like a minimized version of double pivot with both feet. You're doing it so slow that it doesn't add power but introduces an aiming error source. I suggest a straight run up. For that the first step with the right leg should land around 5-7" to the right of where it is now.

You don't break eye contact with the target at least much. Much more power comes from turning your back to the target at the reach back and landing the x step foot pointed way from the target just like the plant step. You have a mild pre cock of the wrist prior to reach back. It should be wrist neutral even at the onset of reaching the right pec position.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue May 25, 2010 6:07 am

Biggest thing I see, is that you look super tensed throughout your body (legs, torso, arm, and hand). Loosen up during the run-up and reach back so that your able to accelerate more easily.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:52 am

a few things:
-your grip is in a position that makes wrist extension nearly impossible (or at least severely limited).

-your pull is too high. on the 2nd throw it was up near the top of the shoulders. this will make it tough to get nose down. usually below the pecs is what i recommend.

-your hips and upper body are moving simultaneously rather than a 1-2 kind of timing. the two need to happen sequentially. a trick you might try is to set your right foot down with the toes pointing somewhat away from the target. e.g. your current set down is around 45 degrees away, try more like 100-110 degrees away. this will force your hip to rotate first.

-it looks like you are almost letting go of the disc.

-your elbow isn't getting far enough forward.

you aren't really throwing with snap. your shoulders are moving at a constant speed without any time to actually fling the disc with a lot of force. the best comparison is it's like you are shooting a wrist shot in hockey without ever having the blade of the stick stop moving forwards.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Dookville » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 am

Blake_T wrote:a few things:
-your grip is in a position that makes wrist extension nearly impossible (or at least severely limited).

-your pull is too high. on the 2nd throw it was up near the top of the shoulders. this will make it tough to get nose down. usually below the pecs is what i recommend.

-your hips and upper body are moving simultaneously rather than a 1-2 kind of timing. the two need to happen sequentially. a trick you might try is to set your right foot down with the toes pointing somewhat away from the target. e.g. your current set down is around 45 degrees away, try more like 100-110 degrees away. this will force your hip to rotate first.

-it looks like you are almost letting go of the disc.

-your elbow isn't getting far enough forward.

you aren't really throwing with snap. your shoulders are moving at a constant speed without any time to actually fling the disc with a lot of force. the best comparison is it's like you are shooting a wrist shot in hockey without ever having the blade of the stick stop moving forwards.

Blake- Can a grip like that lock out all the things you mentioned in his throw. I have a friend that I have been working with and he rotates his grip up on top like that as well. When we put the disc down in the butt of his hand it freed up his wrist, arms, and he is even droping down shoulder lead now and driving through at the release. Could it be that simple(or complex)?
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Return to Video Critique