Video clips by jr, lcgm8, mafa and others

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Video clips by jr, lcgm8, mafa and others

Postby JR » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:48 am

A little update:

Dutch Open 2010 round 2 part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djwwQdQVJ3E
I don't know why the colors are like that the original files are fine. The same for the next video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBziz69a ... re=related

Stockholm Disc Golf Open 2010 round two part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPHF9VgDZd0
The scores were put up in a funny way so this version doesn't have them right. Excuse us. I hope i was able to describe the correct way of interpreting the three physical rounds making up two virtual rounds thing and the odd score card markings to lcgm8 after he had posted these so that they will be correct in the final version. These videos are less edited than usual so there's more cam shaking present from me setting up for the shot and not holding my breath all the time this is done to give lcgm8 more time on the projects we were asked to do. Holland and SDGO were me butting in on their action. I'll update my portable support system to the kind lcgm8 uses for hopefully better results. Maybe i'm able to breathe more too :-) In Järva with 32-34 C with the hills and Feldy's Voodoo Zulu bag and water for us both i was breathing more heavily than usual. So would you :-) I had morning jogs and walks to the course under my belt even before we started the rounds. Being tethered to Feldy made this the most intimate video ever but the down side is that i wasn't able to position myself optimally for the best video shots. My primary duty was to Feldy so everything else had to be what was possible to accomplish with zero time to think, move and set up in many cases and certainly not from the best filming positions. I also couldn't adjust the camera so everything is on automatic except zoom. When i was forced to film toward the sun it wasn't easy for the camera. There's a lot of narration to be done to explain where the discs went because you can't see it each time.

The two time in a row defending Finnish Champion Jesse Heinonen plays so fast with so minimal setup for shots that i missed too many of his throws because i had limited amount of storage space left. Excuse me. I had updated the battery department but still didn't have that much extra capacity left after the rounds so it takes both to film so long that you ensure catching each throw. As you can see from these videos the players often have very long setups and filming all of that is gonna use up a lot of battery space and even more expensive memory capacity if your camera lacks an internal hard drive like mine does.

SDGO 2010 round two part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGj9u_7Pss

SDGO 2010 round two part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FcornVeo8

SDGO 2010 round three part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq1OkMncuDI

SDGO 2010 round three part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZLKQoTcDWI

SDGO 2010 round three part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOLoWwwwLg
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Whiz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 am

What was up with Markus having to reputt on the SDGO Round 2 Pt. 1 video? His putt looked fine. He definitely picked up his mini and it was not a falling putt.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Disc Golf Live » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:40 am

Hi, JR -

I've used for several years a gizmo called a Steady Stick. It makes a nice compromise between the steadiness of a tripod and the convenience of a hand-held approach. You might want to look into one. Also, it puts the weight of the camera on your hips, not your arms, so over a long day it can really help. Searching for a link to send you, I noticed they've now got a couple of newer models than the one I've been using.

http://www.tiffen.com/steady_stick.htm

To find the early model, you can search on ebay under Steady Stick. Those run around $100 in the US but I think well worth the investment.

Keep up the good work!

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby MrScoopa » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:21 pm

I think you did a FINE job JR!

Thanks again for sharing!
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby Star Shark » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Whiz wrote:What was up with Markus having to reputt on the SDGO Round 2 Pt. 1 video? His putt looked fine. He definitely picked up his mini and it was not a falling putt.

His off foot on the straddle was ahead of his lie.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks guys. I'd like to see a steadier image but the steady stick still ain't maneuvrable and small enough i'll build my own support. There were many shots last year where a steady stick would have been in the way either while filming or moving to the filming spot quick enough. With the vegetation on DG courses one really needs minimal sized supports that aren't protruding outside the camera/body outline.

Nikko went and got Dave to voice the second foot fault per rules within three seconds of the putt leaving. It may not be that clear in the video but Markus had his left foot tip two inches closer to the basket than the disc. It was a legit call by Nikko and Dave.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jaboc83 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:48 am

JR wrote:Nikko went and got Dave to voice the second foot fault per rules within three seconds of the putt leaving. It may not be that clear in the video but Markus had his left foot tip two inches closer to the basket than the disc. It was a legit call by Nikko and Dave.

I'm not saying they weren't correct on the call, and I realize that these guys do this for a living and every stroke counts to put bread on the table, but in that situation is it really worth calling him out? I guess I wasn't there, maybe he does it quite a bit and they were doing it to keep him in check, but it seemed like it was a pretty tiny infraction that would have little to no effect on the outcome of the shot. Seems sort of unsportsmanlike to take that away from him, particularly if it's rare and most likely just an accident. Guess I'm just not cut-throat enough for the pros yet :)

Here's the shot in question for those who don't want to search.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPHF9VgDZd0#t=05m40s[/youtube]
jaboc83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:09 pm

If i recall correctly this was the first footing mistake Markus made and he was called for it. This situation has sparked a lot of conversation. For and against. Some say that the rule sucks and some say the rules are the rules and everybody should stick to them. And something in between for some. There are always some who don't like any one rule. And some who dislike all the rules. And yet for the greater good of the sport at least some rules are good and following them IMO. Breaking branches regularly many courses would suffer in the vegetation and it would open the door for getting the courses pulled. And there have been attempts to break branches in front of you in competition. No good. Now it is perfectly by the book to play somebody within the rules. If it was the intention. I don't know i'm not in the heads of Nikko or Dave. On one hand sticking to the rules promotes using them so it can be for the good of the sport. There is room for improvement in following the rules over here. Dunno about the US. With that said i can think of one occasion for sure where Nikko didn't throw within 30 seconds. Others just said hurry up.

Some pros get their winnings doubled by the sponsors or something like that so it's really a matter of eating. Considering you might have to pay for lodging and flights win or lose. Only the very top players may have more security and live at least a part of their life from playing DG. Maybe not getting a pension or saving enough money for that. So every stroke does certainly count. Especially if you manage to ruffle the competition to lose more than a single stroke. Like an event...
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby disc junkie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:56 pm

jaboc83 wrote:
JR wrote:Nikko went and got Dave to voice the second foot fault per rules within three seconds of the putt leaving. It may not be that clear in the video but Markus had his left foot tip two inches closer to the basket than the disc. It was a legit call by Nikko and Dave.

I'm not saying they weren't correct on the call, and I realize that these guys do this for a living and every stroke counts to put bread on the table, but in that situation is it really worth calling him out? I guess I wasn't there, maybe he does it quite a bit and they were doing it to keep him in check, but it seemed like it was a pretty tiny infraction that would have little to no effect on the outcome of the shot. Seems sort of unsportsmanlike to take that away from him, particularly if it's rare and most likely just an accident. Guess I'm just not cut-throat enough for the pros yet :)

Here's the shot in question for those who don't want to search.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPHF9VgDZd0#t=05m40s[/youtube]

For these guys who make a living playing disc golf calling him out is absolutely worth it as that one stroke could cost you some serious cash. Also, if you noticed Markus actually made the putt initially before he was called out for the infraction but Missed the re-putt meaning he didnt gain any ground on the leader so Id say thats a pretty big impact. When money is involved especially when its the majority of your income Id say every stroke counts and that if a rule is broken you are in the right to call him out.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby JR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 pm

JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jaboc83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:39 pm

awesome videos. Kind of a boring final, but great to watch anyways. I wish all disc golf events were available in this quality on YouTube!
jaboc83
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 am

Nikko had gotten a cushy lead.

Here is SDGO 2010 round one part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSHOJBu6m8
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:59 am

A shameless self plug and i do love the footage the other made. This is DiscGolfLive episode 40 part 1 where lies a segment of the production version of the Tali Open 2009 with English commentary. Commentary is lacking in the Youtube version lcgm8 has uploaded. The video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqjEsBFdgw
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jaboc83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:02 am

nice. I hope the video of the next president's cub is this good. I wonder how long it'll be before the disc videos start coming out in 3D like everything else :) It would add a whole lot of perspective to the courses.
jaboc83
Noob

Postby Disc Golf Live » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks, JR, you beat me to it.

Your contribution is greatly appreciated and I look forward to some more Euro action down the line. I think the mix of contributors to this episode does a nice job of highlighting the efforts folks around the world are putting into helping grow the game of disc golf. Here's the second half of the show, which includes footage of David Wiggins tearing up the Toboggan at Am Nats, a Vibram Open selection, and the a piece from ClashDVD on the Collegiate Championships:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqjEsBFdgw

For those of you out there interested in growing our game, if you have a local or community TV station in town, take a few minutes and find out what it takes to submit a program for broadcast. You'll probably find it easier than you think. Copies of DGL are available at no charge.

Take care, all. Spring is near!

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique