Noobie throwing..

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Noobie throwing..

Postby Kingcharles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:09 pm

I am working on my throw and have this video up in a couple of spots.

In this video I am working on remembering to follow through, keep my left hand off the disc, and after watching it I need to straighten out the reach back..

Any other thoughts?

Original video before working on follow through and letting go

http://irishtexan.smugmug.com/Sports/Di ... Exkyp-A-LB

Follow up session were I slowly remember to work in the changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x84O0ZjohzA

I forgot to mention I am looking for more distance currently I hit around 310 in a open field :p
Kingcharles
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc!

Re: Noobie throwing..

Postby Kingcharles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

I am throwing a monarch or a tee bird.... Mid range is roc and buzz
Kingcharles
Noob

Postby keltik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:03 pm

how tall are you?

EDIT: what course are you playing in the second vid?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Kingcharles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:55 pm

keltik wrote:how tall are you?

EDIT: what course are you playing in the second vid?

6'5" and that is alex clark memorial in Mckinney TX
Kingcharles
Noob

Postby keltik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:19 pm

being as tall as you are you have a lot of leverage to work with. you don't reach back and you don't use your legs or core effectively or at all. it basically looks like you're not trying. you also look like you are strong arming.

that course looks fairly short; you should really try playing it using mainly your Buzzz or Putter off the tee. the best first step to building distance is learning how to throw a putter 300'.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139
read that thread completely.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Kingcharles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 pm

keltik wrote:being as tall as you are you have a lot of leverage to work with. you don't reach back and you don't use your legs or core effectively or at all. it basically looks like you're not trying. you also look like you are strong arming.

that course looks fairly short; you should really try playing it using mainly your Buzzz or Putter off the tee. the best first step to building distance is learning how to throw a putter 300'.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139
read that thread completely.

Thanks! I will check out the thread. I can throw the roc about 275, and yeah that course is super short... I will go all buzz/roc/wizard next time and see how it goes ;)
Kingcharles
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 am

Anhyzers are thrown with the right leg planted to the left of the line you are moving toward and hyzers vice versa. For all out distance throwing you should plant the right leg heel toward the basket toes away from the target the left leg close there or equal too. That means your arm at the reach back would also be facing 180 degrees away from the target. All this potential for energy creation goes to waste if you start to pull hard with the arm from the reach back. Everyone is different so you need to find your current sweet spot for best distance regarding when you start accelerating the arm. That doesn't mean that will be your best future accelerating point. With practice the rate of acceleration for the arm may increase along with top speed. Snapping improves with a later harder acceleration and that's something you need to train for to gain in that area. It means that since you probably don't yet have the acceleration ability of future accelerating later may decrease arm speed with the current sweet spot moved later resulting in shorter throws. Many things in disc golf require you to take one step back to move two steps forward.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Kingcharles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:37 am

So I went out to a local 9 hole course and threw 9 holes 3 drives per hole with just the reach back , pull from the waist, and arm pull through at the end of the waist pull (so no run up or X step). I also only used mid range discs (roc and buzz).

I threw about 250 at most, but the weird thing was that everything was a hard anny to the extent where I got the Buzzz to roll for a bit. I played with the reach back and had to lower the angle of my reach back to get a straight line eventually.

The second nine I pulled in the x step and was getting a nice rip on the disc but need to work on control. Still lots of anny, and adding the x step I forgot to work on follow through :P. I dunno if it was any further than usual, but my back muscles were burning a little by the time I got done so I was definitely using more of the core. The whole turn from the waist felt a lot better than what I was doing before in that I don't think it took as much upper body effort but the disc went just as far if not a little farther. I would say it felt like I had more speed and spin on the disc too which may have to do with some of the anny tendencies...

Altogether I was fairly consistent when not doing the x step. All three discs usually landed within 10 feet of one another, and once I got the disc level on the throws I could aim pretty well by starting with the heal of my right foot pointing at the basket and throwing from my waist and whipping the arm around. It was pretty interesting.

One last note is that I also had a lot of nose up releases but they were turning anny still so I got a lot of long S curves out of my overstable san marino roc... Hopefully another vid will help pin down the nose up/down issue.

I will probably go out again tonight and will video it and post it.

On a side note does anyone know of a good resource on "push putting"?
Kingcharles
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:37 am

Try to push down hard with the wrist at the end of the throw to try to keep the nose down. Concentrating on weight shift forward could help too. Push putt is described and shown in detail on The Champ's way DVD from Climo and Feldberg. You could try search on this site because a lot has been written about it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Kingcharles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Short video from this evening. One stand still shot and two x steps.. Need to get the wrist down definitely.. How does the weight forward look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_6cWq2lxw

Edit: I am throwing the star San Marino roc here.
Kingcharles
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 pm

holy nose up batman! your weight is not forward.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Kingcharles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:44 pm

keltik wrote:holy nose up batman! your weight is not forward.

Hah! Yeah I think I see what you mean... When I was throwing flatter before I had more of a forward lean, and when I watch videos of pros its like they are leading with their shoulder... Does that sound right?
Kingcharles
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:07 am

Your heart should be as close to the target as your right knee as the disc rips out. You never got there.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Kingcharles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:56 am

JR wrote:Your heart should be as close to the target as your right knee as the disc rips out. You never got there.

Nice explanation! I will see what I can do on that.
Kingcharles
Noob

Postby Kingcharles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:03 pm

New video of me throwing... working more on weight forward, and need to figure out how to release straight instead of left or right... I look at the placement of my foot when releasing though and I can usually tell where I am going to be letting it go :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-30e6bJylM
Kingcharles
Noob

Next

Return to Video Critique