Help!

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Help!

Postby JR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:07 am

Yes that video. If you've done it with the repetition rate suggested you ought to have confidence to at least 5 meters. You should try the whole month twice 15 minutes per exercise per day. If you've done that you might be bored in which case a different game for putting are good. Check out the thread the games we play.

Do you release the disc before the elbow is straight with a brisk acceleration at the end of the arm motion? Do you bend at the knees and partially sit down your behind and then shift weight forward by straightening the left knee and leaning forward and raising the hip area to an upright stance and only after those doing the short arm stroke? If you miss any of these or time differently applying these things may help a lot. I know they did a world of difference for me. I already had finger spring at the end and that's very important for anyone especially for aiming not just power generation. The arm should follow through just like with drives but to the natural moving direction meaning bending up from the elbow and raising the upper arm up from the shoulder.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rhatton2 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:15 am

I certainly haven't done it to the repetition rate suggested, but have been practising like that on and off for 6 months. In practice I expect to hit them all from 6 meters (I don't always and often miss one from shorter as well.) ON the course I do now feel fairly confident up to about 5 meters - this time last year it was 3 meters! At the recent competition over three rounds I think I only missed three putts from within 5 meters, which for me was great, and these were all spitouts, I didn't can any from further out than about 8 though.

I do release before the elbow straightens and there is definite late acceleration, I have over the last couple of weeks really concentrated on keeping it relaxed to help with this and it seems to be working. I am getting definite finger spring. I tend to straddle putt out to about 8 meters, for the first 4 or 5 I don't really involve any part of my body below the waist, maybe a bit of knee bend. Further out I start using the knees to generate a bit more distance, I tend to start missing low though as out on the course I don't fully commit to these shots. From further out I go to a more traditional/slightly offset stance as I have a habit of forcing it too much with teh straddle. I have been practising this a lot recently and its really starting to work well. It fails when I fail to fully commit to it and it will either hyzer (when I try to force it) or go high (when I don't shift my weight properly and pull out of the shot slightly at the last second). I had a good round last night where I canned three shots between 10 and 15 meters out all of which were slightly pressurised as they were to save par so the practise does feel like its starting to pay off.

The biggest issue I have is my own confidence. at my local course the baskets are on the full size of the PDGA specifications, they are all at the same height and are very easy to hit. At the other courses I play round the country the baskets tend to be smaller than regulation (or at least right on the edge) and will be at completely varying heights from the ground. I know this shouldn't affect me but it does. Its why I've built a basket with varying sizes for the chains and variable height, to try and get myself ready for changes in baskets at other courses. One day it will all pay off!.....possibly
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Postby JR » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 am

Some courses have baskets up or down so it's always good to train for different heights. Have you exaggerated the hip thrust forward for added late acceleration and power generation which also helps with aiming? If that doesn't work are you willing to drop the arm straight down or even reaching behind the left heel (the knees need to bend sideways to give the arm room) like Nikko Locastro or 10x Finnish champ Timo Pursio? If that doesn't sound palatable or work how about doing that from the range where your power generation limits/form starts to suffer? Or stagger stance for added usage of the leg muscles to really give more oomph to the putt. Stagger stance can generate so much power that it can be used for shorter approach throws as well with good accuracy and repeatability. As long as traction isn't an issue. It's very difficult to slip with a straddle stance and easy to slip with the stagger in uphill and wet conditions. So the stagger stance is certainly going to be risky for UK weather.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Video Critique