Critique my drive, see if you see anything additional

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique my drive, see if you see anything additional

Postby Floodj32 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 pm

JR already watched my throws and gave me some advice. Just wanted to know if anyone sees anything additional I am doing.

Thanks again JR for the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP6mShqahsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyO61baVrQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7zmE7r1D0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md1og415T-8

Here is what JR had to say;

"Your form is repeatable so that is good for consistency and accuracy. At that power generation it should be so with a few tweaks you should retain that throw for controlled shorter throws. You throw a few degrees hyzer with the arm but move and plant for a few degrees of anny. Aligning run up direction and plant step position to identical with the arm swing you'll gain a little bit more repeatability. So for a hyzer I'd move from rear center of the tee a few inches right of the center line at the front of the tee. The plant step landing point would be a few inches right of the line you're running on. Vice versa if you're trying to anny.

You're not too much early with the arm acceleration but it could be a little later depending on your physical capabilities so I'd check which starting point gives the best D.

For added power generation=distance you should x step faster there's more room for acceleration in the final steps. You don't really twist the hips right which is a major power generation loss. The shoulders turn better but that may also be a slight improvement if done more explosively. The elbow chop and just prior to that acceleration is that of an approach throw. That has a lot of improvement potential. Have you tried to back hand swat a fly with a news paper? That is what you should go for in the arm swing. Just using to outer layers of the arm muscles for 98% of the arm swing might be beneficial see how it goes. Easy does it. No effort like lifting weights is gonna move fast because the bulged muscles are mechanical brakes to the motion so loose is fast=no effort until the arm is a couple of inches short of being straight. Then the fly swat or hammer pound to the right if you will. Hammer analogy implies more effort because hammers are heavy to swing around compared to newspapers. A good throw feels effortless and flies faster. Ain't that a scratcher?

As you gain more speed the disc is gonna want to rise so you should lean forward a bit more and concentrate on pushing down the wrist late in the throw to counter the rising tendency. Your arm swing maintains the plane a little while after the rip but it could do that for longer to be safe. It may require adding back and shoulder flexibility because the shoulder blade may collide with the back muscles."
Striker|River|Halo|Pain|Flow|Pure|XXX|Blitz|Whippet
Floodj32
Noob

Favorite Disc: Striker

Re: Critique my drive, see if you see anything additional

Postby JHern » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:28 am

Looks like a basically good throw, nice and relaxed, you probably have pretty good accuracy with it. You seem to be using more arm speed than elbow-wrist-finger leverage (aka whip), but that can be fixed with time. You may need to shorten your reach back to get a feel for emphasizing leverage over arm speed (also, try the right pec drill), and slow down your pull motion until after you get in to the right pec and bounce out.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Parks » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:55 am

Your drive is shit.

If I were you, I'd quit immediately and never pick up a disc again.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Floodj32 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 pm

I already sold all my discs...
Floodj32
Noob

Postby Parks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:52 am

:D

I hear Yakima sucks.
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Floodj32 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:37 pm

No course = suck. I have something in the works though. I need to get the final approval from my contacts boss though.
Floodj32
Noob

Postby Floodj32 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:11 pm

The boss veto the idea for a disc golf course. I found two parks in town that have the capability to build one though.
Floodj32
Noob

Postby Parks » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:31 pm

I was surprised to see you say you only throw 350'. I'm pretty sure I've seen you push near 400' on a good throw with distance drivers.

You have part of the same problem that I have, with us both being tall and long. Your run up is awkward and throwing off your timing, though its not as bad as mine and definitely more balanced. For example, your shoulders are turning away too early and leaving your arm behind. You should be letting your arm and the disc lead you through most of the run up. You can see the difference between you and Avery Jenkins here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md1og415T-8#t=0m16s vs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs#t=0m08s Jenkins is at a similar point in his runup, and his shoulders are turned about the same as yours. He is reached back a fair amount, while you are just now bringing the disc back. His shoulders are closed and yours are open, sapping power. Pause the videos while they are loading or just move to the 15-16 second mark in yours and the 8-9 second mark in Avery's.

The way I heard it described by a long thrower in an instructional video: your arm reaches back, pulling your shoulders, then your hips, then during your pull you unwind in the opposite direction. Hips, then shoulders, then arm. You have to make sure that your shoulder and upper arm stay loose though, or it will throw you off more.

Also, it may be related, but I can tell by your follow through that your throw is upper body and arm dominant. Try to let your hips get everything moving to generate more power with your legs.

As others have said, working with the right pec drill and the "sekret technique" stuff from the technique section will do good things for you.

Take the stuff that JR says with a grain of salt. I usually get the impression that he goes unnecessarily deep into details when simpler things are easier and more effective to practice.
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Yeah I'm often throwing in some of the more esoteric stuff on top of the same ole. I should probably compile a standard answer to video critiques because I have to repeat so many things over and over again. Only if people watched the vids of others and those critiques and applied them to their throws. That is a quick way to spot differences between your throws and those of others. And getting the basics functional.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Floodj32 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Have I hit 400 sure, but I couldn't do it when I wanted to. I am trying to develop my game so I can make shots when I decide to, not on accident. I appreciate the help, so far I think all input has been at least some what helpful. I have been putting a lot of field work in since the closest course is 1 and a half hours away. I hope to Hit the five hundred club some day, and it seems that only happens with proper form and less muscling of the disc. I have already seen great improvement.
Floodj32
Noob

Return to Video Critique