Video critique, new video.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Video critique, new video.

Postby Banjar » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey,

EDIT:
I've added new footage, recorded this afternoon. Mainly, I am trying to have more explosiveness and follow through. I still fail on pausing shoulder rotation to get the elbow forward what I can see. Any help will be appreciated!

NEW FOOTAGE:

**** Post below is from this spring: ********

I havent really worked on my form for the last 6 months, I've just been playing and not much has happened in my game. Now, the spring and summer is approaching and I want to get a little better, so I request some advide from you guys.

I can throw around 350 feet at max but the accuracy is not consistent. In the drives on the video I am throwing around 250-280. I would like some pointers about my timings. From watching the video, I immediately notice I look bulky, heavy and slow. I want to be more 'light' on my form, but I would also like to know what things things I might be doing right (if any), so I can keep those.

Also, I usually feel really weak and 'uncoiled' (dont know if that makes sense) when I do the right (left for me) peck drill. Is that just lack of arm strength? How long should I be able to throw with the right peck drill (ballpark figure).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Banjar on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

Re: spring form cleaning, help appreciated!

Postby JR » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:53 am

For accuracy and repeatability without using the weight of the disc as aiming device your form is good enough for the distances you mentioned. For more D a faster run up, twisting harder with the hips and shoulders and pulling the disc close to the body leading with the elbow should help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Craig Smolin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

I personally like your slowed down and deliberate approach, as I am not a firm believer in "faster equals farther" ... getting a longer follow-through should help ... swinging your body around another 90 degrees would help, as would pulling your back leg around further. It basically looks like your stopping short. I don't think you need to worry about being "bulky" as it appears you're getting decent to good arm acceleration on the pull through.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Your discs are on an early release program.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Banjar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for your answers so far. I went to the field today and tried working on getting the disc further forward before snapping and it feels akward at the moment, but I am sure that will get better once I figure out the timings a little more. I have a follow up question: What height should I be pulling the disc at? Is my current line too low or does it not matter too much?
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Aaron_D wrote:Your discs are on an early release program.

lol
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Pulling in tighter and getting the elbow out further is not easy. It makes the arm muscles and tendons tighter before you straighten the elbow. But that is the point loading up then releasing that energy fo added acceleration. Your pull height is good. It's not as high as Dave D. suggest at shoulder height and it's not as low as Jesper Lundmark. At your height you get benefit from both. Lower pull lines benefit from looser arm muscles and more torque of the body. Your pull line height doesn't suffer from lack of getting nose down from arm and thumb angle yet. So it is a personal thing to see what works best because not everyone can utilize their arms as well when the muscles get tight from pulling in close elbow well forward. If you have poor leg work and no hip explosion the lowest pull lines may not get any advantage to levering.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: Video critique, new video.

Postby Banjar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:58 pm

new footage added to the opening post, so please take a look and let me know if you see any changes, thanks!
Banjar
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Your elbow lead is better than most players have. You lift your leg up before the disc leaves and that takes off power. Your hips don't twist at all and it is the second largest source of power you miss out on. For explosiveness and timing help pivot hop step helps. Your final step is too long, because you lift your left leg from the hip joint toward the target prior to the plant. Your arm swing and acceleration aren't bad. Just utilizing the legs and the hips more alone will give you more power. Using the pivot hop step will add to that. Note that in the pivot hop step the right leg needs to kick to the left of your left leg while moving forward so that the right leg touches the back of the knee joint of the left leg.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 am

Your lead shoulder and elbow basically track at exactly the same speed. This is limiting.

The lead shoulder must slow down and let the arm build into the angle that is the classic elbow forward position seen from all the good players. This allows you to get into the "forward hit position" with the elbow extended and create a much later, more delayed hit...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:22 am

Oh boy... Today in field practice i tried to stay mellow and have the pause to push the elbow forward and it felt like i succeeded from the tension in the arm muscles and tendons around the elbow. No added distance. Doh! I'm more and more afraid that my hurt index finger outer joint gives me so much pain that i subconsciously loosen up. I'm also fairly certain that despite trying to stop the wrist at different times i did not succeed in stopping the wrist. So i stopped trying eventually. Aaargh!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 pm

First thing...you're throwing with the wrong hand :lol:
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Video Critique