Maxing Out at 300 - 320'

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Maxing Out at 300 - 320'

Postby Unfcknblvbl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vD5GtDpc-A

I should have mentioned this in the details at YT. I'm using the power grip with my thumb positioned just off the rim on the top plate of the disc, as suggested by Will Schusterick (he, Dave Feldberg, Sheila Kirkham and Ross Brandt gave a clinic before the Memorial).

Any suggestions you may have are very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Unfcknblvbl
Noob

Re: Maxing Out at 300 - 320'

Postby jubuttib » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:20 pm

First things first, you might want to straighten your back somewhat (funny, the second related video listed was called "Neck Pain: Cervical Spine Anatomy"), then try to get the reach back and pull line straighter. As it is you're pulling the disc around your body, you want it to move in a relatively straight path.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Your timing is off preventing you from using any of your run up. No acceleration...start your pull much slower and be accelerating during the hit. You arent pointing your hips far enough away at the reach back. Your hit isnt in the correct place--you need to work on the right pec drill.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Beetard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 pm

There is something about your arm. It seems like you don't get much elbow extension; your arm is still curled when the disc comes out.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby mark12b » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Try the pen/pencil drill... (much of the thread is off-topic -- the stick-throwing stuff is what to pay attention to)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17201

Blake_T wrote:
Ok. So I just understood that you need to get a full "wind up" for the pen exercise. I went out and tried it and found that it either slipped out early (shocking, I know Blake) or I grip locked. Either way, there was not very much spin. Is this normal? Or, is this indicative of the problems I've been having?

the purpose is to throw the pen. if you find a full windup helps the speed/direction of the pen then you have an answer. if you find a full windup hurts the speed/direction of the pen you have another answer.

the goal is to make the pen fly really fast and in a straight line (it will be spinning).

once you have found your magic spots compare that to your throw.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Craig Smolin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 pm

what these guys said ... stand straighter, bend your knees more, loosen your arm. Bending that much at the waist is going to significantly reduce how far you can reach back. Wherever you are right now, try this out: stand up and bend at your waist. Reach back with your throwing arm. Now straighten up, and see how much further back your arm goes. Then rotate your hips away from your target and you'll reach just a bit further back. Now find your comfort point, where you're reaching back but your muscles are still loose. That's the point you want to reach to on open field throws.

If necessary walk into your reach back (I found that a true RUN-UP will only get you off-balance and lead to significant off-axis torque), and then focus on accelerating your arm across your chest. Work on the basics before getting into the micro-analysis. If you're getting over 300' right now, some major but SIMPLE corrections are going to give you at least 50' more distance. Don't get locked into bad habits.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique