jivey311 Drive analysis

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

jivey311 Drive analysis

Postby jivey311 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Hello, posting my drive for critique. I'm a DGCR member also, but this site seems to be better for learning technique.

I've been playing for 11 years, but want to get better. My goal this summer is to add 50-100 feet of distance. Hopefully, you can help me get there. I've read and practiced beato drills, hammer pound, numerous technique videos, blake walker videos, all articles of main page.

I've done my discing down since last summer. I'm pretty set on my bag now. I usually go with lower weights, (172g and below).

Valkyrie / Teebird / *Roc / Buzzz / Fuse / Soft Banger GT / Challenger
DRIVERS AVG: 300-310
DRIVERS MAX: 320-320

MIDS AVG: 260-275
MIDS MAX: 300

PUTTERS AVG: 230-240
PUTTERS MAX: 250

I go RHBH on 90% of drives since that's my power shot. RHFH, I used to do when I first started, but I haven't really worked on it for max distance. It's for more of finesse shots and utility shots. I did put a couple of shots there at the end of the video. FH for distance is something I could use improving at also.

So here it is:

jivey311
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Valkyrie

Re: jivey311 Drive analysis

Postby turso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm

You're lacking in followthrough. You're not pushing the elbow forwards like you should, and it looks to me like you're actually letting go of the disc instead of letting it rip itself out of your hold. You seem to be releasing even before your left pec at some throws, which would be corrected if you bring your elbow more aggressively forward when throwing. To me it seems that you'd benefit greatly from watching Beto's driving vids. In the slowmo I also noticed that you start pulling before your pivot foot is properly planted, which will lead to many problems.

The link to Beto's vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 am

Try shortening each step by one foot and not reaching back lower than the release point. Try to keep the arm at the same height from the ground from reach back to rip. Try to get the weight forward so that your heart is as close to the target as the right knee. That should remove pop up stalls.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jivey311 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 am

I'm trying to work on follow through.

When I try to let the disc rip out at the hit, it seems like I always get a late release or grip lock.

Hence, u see my form with the early release or sudden stop at the end.

Any suggestions on how to fix late release?

Also, should my pivot foot be pointing forward or should it be perpendicular to the target? Ive seen it both ways, but in my case I point forward.
jivey311
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 am

Getting the elbow forward and keeping the disc close to teh body will do wonders for curing grip locks and late releases. World distance record holder Christian Sandström suggests having a symmetric motion of the steps. That is plant chest pointing 90 degrees left of the target RHBH throw then follow through pivoting so that the chest and the both toes point 90 degrees right of the target.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jivey311 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm

What is my elbow doing?

It looks like its pointing sideways and down? I should try to keep it at an even plane from reach back to the hit. Right?

At the hit should I do a small "snap" of my wrist? The snap is the hit right?

Or should I just accelerate from chest all the way to follow through. Ala dan beato drills.

From the acceleration, the disc should rip out?
jivey311
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Hit is more complicated than that but you're right about the other parts.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:14 pm

couple things that are different from what everyone else has said

You are going to hurt yourself if you don't allow your body to continue its natural motion. You stop all your weight on your right knee, and one of these days your knee will give out. Allow your body to rotate around, do not stop your weight just to watch the disc. You should finish with the left side of body coming through to the front.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jivey311 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I never noticed until I got it on video.

I espically didn't notice I was stopping on my right knee like that.

Last year I was all about getting my putting and short game fixed. Im happy with my short game but my drives need work for sure.
jivey311
Noob

Postby Redisculous » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:02 pm

Your throw is all one rotation. You just go from back to front and never give your arm the chance to get to where it needs to be to leverage the disc with your wrist. You have to slow down a tiny bit in the middle to let this happen.

Blake_T wrote:during the first rotation, make sure the upper arm moves WITH the shoulder. it sounds like you are letting it lag behind which causes a narrowing of the angle between the shoulder and upper arm. you want to guide the disc with your arm. the arm shouldn't be tense, but it shouldn't be absolutely limp either.

my elite art skills diagramming the 3 stages of the throw across 4 panels.

the way you are throwing skips panel #3.

BU: what you are describing is exactly why step 3 usually gets bypassed by players. the hips don't go from closed to open, they go from closed to neutral to open.

1 to 2 = your hips go from closed to "neutral". if your right foot sets down ~90 degrees away from the target, your upper body is in alignment when the right shoulder is pointing at the target.

2 to 3 = the hips don't really do anything here.

3 to 4 = the hip opens.

your focus should be on driving your body forwards with your legs. the pivot should take care of itself, assuming your timing is working.

Thread found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9422
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby jivey311 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 pm

You guys rule. Thanks for all the help. I've been trying to slow down my run up and really concentrate on getting the acceleration up until the hit.

I'm getting lots of helpful tips, so I'm just trying to start from the beginning again.

Even with my slowed down run up and concentration, it seems when I dont strong arm it, its way easier to throw far.
jivey311
Noob

Return to Video Critique