Driving & Putting Video

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Driving & Putting Video

Postby Mike C » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:12 am

Conditions weren't optimal but it's good enough (Kinda wet, first throws of the day, stiff muscles etc). What am I doing wrong?

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Driving & Putting Video

Postby Apothecary » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 am

besides posting too many vids of you throwing?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby JR » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 am

The left leg is worst of both worlds in the drives. Not the Feldy type of kick to the right counteracting the force of the elbow chop and wrist snap or staying on the ground pushing forward adding power until the rip at the very least. Now the leg acts like an anchor slowing your rotation and not adding to the weight shift.

You putt too well already :-) But your stance doesn't seem to be the most stable. I would test a little more separation between the legs sideways and adjusting the torso accordingly so that the chest is square to the target. The mellow arm motion conserves the arm muscles but eventually if you tire out or just miss out in power generation the slow pace of the arm may go even slower and lead to the elbow straightening before the release. Then the momentum goes the way of the least resistance which is flapping the wrist to the right.

I wonder why you posted the putting parts, because you are a good putter as it is. Many would say a great putter at least on a good day. Is there something specific you want to improve on? I'm thinking why change something that isn't broken in the middle of the season or at all? Sure there's always room for improvement and experimentation but please do also consider that are you able to revert to your current form without damage to your form and confidence if you try out new ways? At least if you give a lot of practice to a different form. Everyone can benefit now and then from excelling in both straddle and stagger stances. A straddle stance is superior in uphill and wet weather putts. There is a lesser chance of the legs slipping and changing the throw.

For added distance you could straighten the hips faster and start the arm putt lower and raising the arm higher with added arm raising speed. And a faster elbow straightening like a punch and quicker finger spring would also add accuracy and repeatability as long as the added effort won't tire you out prematurely in a tourny.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mike C » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 am

Apothecary wrote:besides posting too many vids of you throwing?

Hard to get form feedback locally when half the people around here go slack jawed if you push 350.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:05 am

JR wrote:The left leg is worst of both worlds in the drives. Not the Feldy type of kick to the right counteracting the force of the elbow chop and wrist snap or staying on the ground pushing forward adding power until the rip at the very least. Now the leg acts like an anchor slowing your rotation and not adding to the weight shift.

I wonder why you posted the putting parts

Thanks. Something looks clunky to me about my run-up I just haven't been sure. That gives me some stuff to think about.

Posted the putting part because of two things I guess. Putts come out wobbly a lot which I thought might be a problem, and I don't make as many in the 40-60' range as I know I'm capable of and was wondering if there's anything I could catch that's throwing me off.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Itchy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 am

I've watched other videos of you putting during rounds and you just toss them in like its nothing, but in practice you're taking your time and thinking about it. I'm not a real great putter, but I've been advised to practice the way I play. One disc at a time and make each one count. If you have a care free manner in rounds, I'd suggest trying that in practice too. I have the exact opposite problem, I'm relaxed and find it easy during practice, but take a while to calm down and make putts during rounds.

Oh, and is that a Black Label flammable material shirt with the sleeves cut off? I think we have the same shirt (I don't have the arms though).
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby JR » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:27 am

Climo often has wobble in his drives. Wobble is bad in high wind situations because the winds can push the disc whichever way. The cure is to punch the elbow straight faster than you do now and have a more explosive finger spring. To be precise it is the added rate of acceleration of acceleration that cleans up wobble by giving more spin and a cleaner release. Considering the long ranges you want to improve on the faster snake strike motion, to loan Dunipace, and a longer motion range at higher speed and acceleration of the finger spring cure the wobble while generating more power to allow the disc to not move as much vertically en route from the index finger to the chains.

Your run up and pivot and possible weight shift plus almost surely timing will change when you use left toe on the ground or Feldy/Climo/whoever style of left leg kick to the right and forward. It should clean up your run up. Or at least help so it makes you more accurate and hopefully also more repeatable and longer thrower. That is why you should invest time on this change. With luck one form at least will click immediately. I'd go with that form.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique