Brad's form 2011

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Brad's form 2011

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Now that is a good analysis... My goodness....

When I stack I get stuck back. My hips don't open right due to my poor front foot placement.

My footwork is horribly flat footed...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:14 pm

My right knee just collapses... Always has on full throws...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby seabas22 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks Brad, your snap vids/thread are the best! It looks like you have taken your closed shoulder drill too literal though. If you are stacked at reachback, it should help you get weight forward, easier to lead with the hips, and maintain a tighter spinal axis rotation. I think if you keep off your rear heel that should help. Being stacked at the hit will create more natural upward trajectory. When you go to plant your foot it lands flat and looks like the foot pivot is forced early with the straight knee and not clearing the hip all the way.

I found this vid really helps with the hip drills:
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 am

I think I see something you might benefit from changing. I bet you could throw near your max D with a much slower start and middle run up. Also, I bet you could relax everything more during this extra slow start and not much would change other than giving you more control and stamina on the course. Try eliminating your initial left foot step and start with your right shoulder pointing at your target and and your first step being a side step with your right foot (like the first drive in the vid in my sig). To get the same D you're used to you will need to concentrate a little more on very late acceleration.

However, if you are going for all out D on an open hole you should change your run up so you dont pause quite as long after your plant (i know...most people have the opposite problem) and carry more momentum into the throw...but in my experience this often leads to a more fundamental breakdown elsewhere in one's form....but hey...that's why you only do this on open holes and hail mary drives.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby JR » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:31 pm

I wouldn't draw much conclusions about those throws, because everything is gonna change with correcting the running direction and follow through ,atching each other and the arm swing plane. You'll get the weight shift and pivot and unjam the hips etc. Timing will change probably. I'd take a new video after changing form.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Parks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 am

That second hammer video is a really good reference for anyone. The whole thing about letting the hammer's weight follow you through was one of the things I was doing on the one single day that I ever had the effortless feel for my throw with full control of nose angles and accuracy.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:10 pm

I am working hard to fix my lean back and bent posture. Man this is hard!!! That right foot just wants shoot out there!!!
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby CatPredator » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:48 am

Bradley Walker wrote:I am working hard to fix my lean back and bent posture. Man this is hard!!! That right foot just wants shoot out there!!!

It's tough man. I have been working on the same issue for a while. Your brain and body get used to generating power in a certain way and the muscles in your core and hips become unbalanced over time if you don't make conscious strides to prevent it. Led to some shitty posture and back pain for me. Balance exercises and core work have helped a lot. It's tough to get into a really picturesque athletic driving position at the hit if your legs, hips, and back are not limber and strong.

Good luck!
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:37 pm

It might help, if you push as hard as you can with the left leg and a drill to make that happen is to not make a throw and stand in a stagger putt stance and push from there. Repeatedly until it becomes second nature for a while and then make a slow x step with and explosive left leg push forward. Many people try to jump up and forward and that needs to be aimed lower so that the left leg does not come off of the ground until the disc has ripped out.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Video Critique