Dear lord. The master DOIN it

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Dear lord. The master DOIN it

Postby seabas22 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 pm

I got to give JR a lot thanks for helping me with my form. It's sometimes hard to understand what he is saying, but it's all typically spot on. I agree the pre-swing helps maintain balance and finding the hit as well as clearing the body into the backswing and rhythm. Not sure I totally agree about pre-swing reducing accuracy because mine went up when I began incorporating it, although I also began to hit it. I tend to lose the hit and accuracy without the pre-swing. I equate the pre-swing to addressing the golf ball, it helps give you a destination to hit through.

This vid is actually maybe the best for understanding reachback and weightshift. Dion briefly talks about it in his distance vid shifting to the heel. The weight shift in the downswing happens from behind you and its only about 1" long. Most players try to shift their weight from in front and doing all the things Shawn Clement says in the vid below.

Going back to JR talking about the Brinster hop. I believe the Brinster hop is equivalent to Hogan's power move and centripetal pump. The second vid he talks about having a great access to hit through the ball...this is how I think of the power pocket. Brinster pivots/clears his body into the backswing and glides front foot/leg forward all while in the air/being weightless, and then uses the centripetal pump for serious rotational speed. You can still see the centripetal pump in all the top guys, its just magnified with Steve.

Last edited by seabas22 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Are you sure you weren't getting enough acceleration to allow detection of physical feedback from the weight of the disc against the fingers starting from the elbow chop magnified in the disc pivot? So were you aiming with the weight and/or pulling the disc in a straight line in the snap or by pointing with the thumb nail in another way than before? That may be the reason for added accuracy because those aiming methods do increase accuracy. You're more fit than i am so it is entirely possible that your balance is good enough and mine ain't.

The videos seabas22 linked show how it's good to wait for the heel pivot to maximize acceleration late in the throw. Applied to disc golf the flat footedness is very dangerous though. Golf swing raises in the end and the follow through is about the same. Hyzer, flat and anny shots need different follow throughs. Thus the ankle gets easily twisted in many angles in DG if you keep the whole foot on the ground as much. We have a run up most golfers don't :-)

IME pre swing during the throw throws off disc angles and body positions. What it helps with is the timing and violence of the arm acceleration late in the throw. I can understand getting a more accurate direction to the throw from the pre swing if it i not automated following of the running direction and body placements then timings the sequence properly. Not having the left leg on the ground in the x step to the rip or not using the Feldy leg kick magnifies this problem. Keeping the body rotating to the right unrestricted to clear the hips freely each time and turning enough toward the target at the rip is crucial. Pre swinging can interfere with that but not using the left leg properly does at least as much harm if not more. Failing with the left leg can lead to horrific left misses especially on natural tees and slow speeds or stand stills.

It's good that people can ask questions, because in my last post i addressed many issues for many people. No wonder it may get confusing. Then there's comms skills and personal ways of using and understanding language. English ain't my first language so that can't help either.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeah, its hard to say because the pre-swing helped me do a lot of things better. I don't think I was really throwing the disc's weight before I started pre-swinging. Rhythm, sequencing, and balancing seem to go out the window for me with it the pre-swing. I can see how the pre-swing changes angles, although for me I adjust the pre-swing angles according to the throw and pivot my body around accordingly.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:09 pm

For long term profit i'd try pre swing standing still and then starting the throw and not swinging at all until the plant step lands.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Video Critique