Zach's Backhand.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Zach's Backhand.

Postby zpitman135 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm

I've been doing a lot of field work lately and my technique has improved a lot. I'm running out of things to work on so i thought I'd post some videos on here. Also I took some videos of a couple of my friends that ill post in another thread.

Full Speed

Slow mo
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Re: Zach's Backhand.

Postby seabas22 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Looks much improved, however your not throwing through your core and staying inside the shot. The way you load up on your rear leg during the x-step only pushes your upper body forward ahead of the hips which leaves your rear hip trailing. Try staying lighter on the feet and more weight centered, which should help you pivot your hips backwards going down to plant instead of twisting your spine. Planting a little more backwards and your foot a half foot or so toward the left side of the tee pad should help you transfer your weight from behind you instead of from in front of you and keep you inside the swing plane.

This thread should help:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24071
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 pm

You should decide which way you wanna throw. For accuracy maxed out or reduced accuracy with more power generation. At the moment you throw with a form that is the second most power generating topped only by 360. The trouble with your form is that in order to get the added weight shift you need to push harder with the left leg and that is problematic in poor grip conditions and when you are tired. You must be able to push hard each time in order to not lose consistency and accuracy. The body parts aren't moving in the same direction all the time so the body gets contorted and that creates more stress thus fatigue and injury risk. Additionally when any part of the body tires out before the others the timing and accuracy changes. A straight line toss has the disc moving in a straight line for longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pk23LeyVk4

You ran out of the tee so the follow through was compromised. So any conclusions are iffy. What is clear is that you raised the rear leg off of the ground before you had the disc rip out. That makes it difficult to turn toward the target and not miss left. You have to compensate with the arm and that makes timing a bitch if you even notice the problem and have the time to react and compensate and you can say good bye to consistency.

Were you trying to do a control or max D shot? You may wanna try running in a straight line and aligning each body motion to go straight at the target and pulling the disc in a straight line. At the moment your running direction and plant position is for an anny and the arm moved in a hyzer.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zpitman135 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 pm

thanks guys. JR I definitely prefer accuracy to power and this was a 600 foot open hole so theyre all distance drive. I usually have a compact pivot hop step ill post a video of that next time i play. for whatever reason when i do a distance drive i naturally want to do an anhyzer run up. Seabass what do you mean by staying inside the shot?
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Postby seabas22 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 am

Staying inside the shot is basically keeping your posture and getting your body out of the way so you throw through the core. As JR said your footwork is anhyzer with the way you load your rear leg and push with it, while your arm swings on hyzer. Combing that with the twist in your spine and your power zone is a very small window and creates a little arc off the straight line in your pull like the Climo vid talks about.

Apply this to a hyzer:
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Return to Video Critique