Switching from forehand to BH critique please

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Switching from forehand to BH critique please

Postby OVNI » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Hello there! I've been lurking for a while and finaly decided to post as I feel I've come to a point where I actually need guidance as far as my drives go.
So, I started playing about a year ago, I was throwing forehand only as I started playing out on the streets of my neighborhood shooting at random targets and had to flick, rhbh would fall hard left.

I recently became addicted and play around 3 times a week at local ga courses. For a while, I was really only throwing random drivers, noobish mistake. Recently acquired a kc roc(friend told me it was the sh!z but being stubborn, I thought this was just hype :lol: boy was I wrong) and realised how much further and how much more precise my drives can be when I get the correct release with this midrange disc than back when I always went for the beast for drives.

I'll admit, my aproach shots are still a bit more accurate using a sidearm shot with a primo wide rimmed disc but I've been forcing myself to stick to aviar, roc rhbh only to train.

Went out into the field and threw my roc and my beast to see if this routine of only throwing midrange constantly improved my form as far as driving with an actual driver. Turns out I gained probably 75ft and throw straighter with my driver than I used to (used to release with wing up to compensate). I still however get pretty close to the same distance on a good midrange throw unless there's wind and trees. I estimate my drives to be in the 300 to 350 range.

Would really apreciate some feedback!! Thanks in advance and sorry for the crappy quality, little brother filming with my phone :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-5qHOZ0t0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r99kOuJ7xOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPr_JgAkI_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaCFVvIgp8Q
SurgeSS,Destroyer,Firebird,Beast,Roc,Wizard
OVNI
Noob

Favorite Disc: SL

Re: Switching from forehand to BH critique please

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:29 am

Welcome! You should throw also other lines than anhyzers. Your hip tilts to the right so you should add muscle tightness before the disc rips out so that the angles remain proper. When you plant the final step with the right leg you should tighten the muscles in it so that it begins the passive part of the hip twist to the right of neutral on top of which you need to put muscle effort. Also the shoulders should turn right of the center of the body and in the reach back the hips and the shoulder intersecting line should be left of neutral.

You are rounding. See the explanation at:

Search for "pause" and elbow forward explanations as a cure to rounding on top of looking at what the champ does in the above video.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby OVNI » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:47 am

Bam! Spot on, when I look at the videos again I see exactly what you mean in regards to tightness before release. The final foot plant is something I've been having a lot of issues with, I remember watching Felberg coaching and wondering how the hell? But I guess that's where practice comes in. I am definetly rounding although not in all my drives, ironicly I think the reason I do this is because whenever I kept trying to really reach back in a straight line, my head would naturaly want to turn backwards as does my arm and in doing this I lost sight of the target and usually released too late... Maybe I should practice turning my head a little, on purpose and matching that with my release. The reason I really only threw anhyzers I guess was because it's predictable and if I throw harder, straight or turnover I have a tendency to loose disc in this field (lost 5 already). Thanks for analyzing.

One question though, when I do my final plant with my right foot and pivot, should I be on my heel or trying to pivot more with the front of my foot? It would seem the latter would bring more power? "Also the shioulders should turn right of the center of the body and in the reach back the hips and the shoulder intersecting line should be left of neutral" I don't know if i'm visualising this correctly, do you mean I should be turned more to the left? Seems to make sense as I would have a better placement before accelerating my body.

Thanks JR, saw a lot of your posts and honestly I've never seen anybody disect people's form as you do, systematicly and for free (I play regular golf, advice like this would likely cost me 200 easily). I wonder how you throw :p I'm figuring you have an almost perfect form? Or are you a hannibal lecter of disc golf, unable to turn his awesome analyzing power on himself? Kidding of course. Thumbs up, I will try this out in the field today. I warped my roc yesterday so will switch to a buzzz ss I found and promised to return, hoping to god I don't loose this disc or karma will make me miss all my putts.
SurgeSS,Destroyer,Firebird,Beast,Roc,Wizard
OVNI
Noob

Favorite Disc: SL

Postby JR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Definitely a very streaky thrower here. Mostly down the leg :-D After multiple injuries i'm too out of shape to consistently maintain angles and my arm injury seems to stop me from hanging onto the disc long enough for a full pivot and i have a hell of a time twisting the hips right of neutral with faster throws. It is way easier to look at top guys doing it right than to imitate them. I've watched a lot of vids and throws. Slow motion videos help a ton too (Youtube channels mfranssila and lcgm8-comparison slo mos there are embedded in several videos like EO and Tali open from different years). On top of more hours spent on practice fields than the course. As part of rehab gaining muscle power and partial control at high power levels. So far it seems that i lack finesse and that is easier to get on tight holes. For me anyway. Give me open space and i'm more like to rip at 100 % power than 80 % let alone doing approaches. Of course i've done some field approach work too but nothing compares to tunnels and corners on real holes with clearly defined obstacles.

All the best throwers pivot on the heel and according to the measurements of Carlsen it creates a little more power each time vs ball of the foot pivot.

Another tip from Climo is the keep the eyes on the corner so that you gain sight of the target earlier. Sidearm never breaks eye contact with the target but it is possible to do limited power control shots backhand too without looking away. A slight break in eye contact adds a lot of power while maintaining good control thus being very golfable. Breaking eye contact longer is a must for best possible distance and that is usable on long open holes or with a lot of practice but the accuracy ain't always as good so there's at least variation. To get the best of both worlds in accuracy and distance you should have two main forms according to the needs. And adjusting in between for range control.

You need to twist the hips and the shoulders to the left in the reach back and to the right in the throw before the elbow starts to straighten.

Frisbee spirit, paying forward for the help i've gotten, making the sport more fun for everyone and enticing in more players to grow and improve the sport are my motivations for doing this. Besides keeping Blake from getting more burned out of answering mostly similar questions that come around regularly allows him to drop some gold nuggets from time to time. I've likened myself to be his secretary at times :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique