Schusterick Throw Analysis

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Schusterick Throw Analysis

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:00 pm

I shot this on hole 10 at USDGC's today. He nearly parked it. He was amazing to watch.

What aspects of his form are helpful to notice? I figured it would be good to analyze and probably helpful for many of us on here.

Not that important, but what is he throwing? It looks like a C PD2. And he seems to be wearing New Balance low-drop shoes.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Schusterick Throw Analysis

Postby turso » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:22 am

Probably C-PD2, definitely some wide rimmed discmania C-line in any case.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby JR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:46 am

Flexibility, pulling in a straight line, elbow somewhat forward, left leg on the ground at the rip etc.=good basics of form.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:21 am

he does have exceptional form. isn't #10 a big ass turnover shot? he is a skinny beast if he can make a C-PD2 do that line.

EDIT: I just read that Schusterick is now a 2x USDGC champ. Is he the next Climo?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 am

C PD2s do wear eventually like any discs but he does have tremendous power so it could have been a new disc too. USDGC back to back wins wise (open flight) he tied Climo as the only two men to win back to back.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm

yes of course I was going for hyperbole. this is the internet after all.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 pm

JR wrote:Flexibility, pulling in a straight line, elbow somewhat forward, left leg on the ground at the rip etc.=good basics of form.

Is it me or does he NOT use his left leg to "push" his lower body?? He simply turned his left leg inward. To me it looks like he's all upper body. Leading with the right elbow and keeping the disc tight to his body.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby keltik » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Steady I think you're right. Interesting observation.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Star Shark » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 pm

BTW, #10 isn't a bigass turnover. It's a straight shot maybe a little turn over the corner of the tennis courts. It's a good 450+ to get to the green. You're carrying over the OB the whole way. This shot wasn't common in the past due to penalty strokes but in 09 and this year the buncr rule made this a good go for. You could gun it 2x and still get a birdie.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 am

Your observation is correct and he doesn't twist the hips much to the right but there is some motion there. So he's not weight shifting maximally but the left leg is getting right one major part of form which is being anchored to the ground until the disc left. According to sir Isaac Newton for every motion there is an exact reverse and equally strong counter motion and the point of holding the left leg on the ground is to oppose the counter force of the hips twisting and shoulders turning to the right and the arm moving forward and the elbow chopping forward. Keep in mind that Will has power to spare so it makes sense to adjust distance by taking something off of the throw. I haven't looked at other vids of him so closely that i could say if leaving the left knee bent is common for him. From a gut feeling i think it is. It has the pro of allowing the knees to not twisting of the feet get stopped by something and when you need to go 100 % you have a clear place where to add power. Getting both knees bent gives me more balance and control YMMV but i try to push the left knee straight when going for top power. It is humbling to think guys throwing annies 474' with a C PD2 possibly holding the power back.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:32 am

Will is very flexible and long limbed, two things many of us lack. Things I note is how dynamically centered he keeps his weight/spine and the squeeze between the knees. He does have a very straight pull line and nice full extension in the finish. He also has great leverage from the rear side and his rear foot pivots.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm

I followed him for a round earlier this year. Overheard him praising the PD2. Threw one over 500' (closer to 525-550' Id guess) into a solid steady 15+ mph wind. #18 at BRP. It was ungodly sick how the disc never came down. Everyone else was laying up short of the creek at 470'.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby Stringbean » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:26 pm

I could be wrong but I didn't notice any pause in his shoulder rotation.
Summit - Judge - QMS - Leopard - Eagle - SOLS - QOLF - Beast - Wraith
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:26 am

It is a semantic matter if he had a minimal slowing down so borderline pause or not. IMO a total stopping ain't necessarily mandatory getting into proper body positions in proper times is. He got somewhat elbow forward so the minipause/slowing down for a tiniest amount of time was pretty ok but of course not perfect.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby allsport1313 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 pm

It amazes me how effortlessly he throws for 500...

*Goes in front of mirror and imitates his throw frame by frame*
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Next

Return to Video Critique