video for critique, thank you 65°F day in January

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

video for critique, thank you 65°F day in January

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:14 am

Discs in order:
Z Buzzz, 300ft
ESP Buzzz, griplocked hard into a tree
Star Teebird, 310ft
Glow Teebird, 320ft

These throws were at 75% power, which, unless throwing some crazy spike hyzer I try not to exceed.

Goals: Teebirds 380+, Buzzz 350+
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Re: video for critique, thank you 65°F day in January

Postby ELItheICEman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am

Wow, Parma actually looked pretty clean and dry. I played Basil on Saturday, and while the front 9 were alright, the back was still pretty flooded.

Sorry, totally OT I know. I'd pitch in my two cents of critique but I can't even pull my own game together at the moment, so I dare not pretend I know anything here :D
ELItheICEman
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 am

You could pull closer to the chest lengthening the pause getting the elbow forward more. The grip lock came from pulling so far away from the chest. At times you had barely enough ball of the foot height for a clean heel pivot on flat ground but the grip locked throw was flat footed. The biggest issue i see is that the arm rises throughout the throw from a low reach back (it could be longer) to a way higher rip point. Your left arm is off the body and not really moving faster than the body meaning it slows down the pivot. The arc that the left arm makes is too high for a long reach back. The left arm could come in the way of the disc so i'd drop the arm down to navel or lower level if the follow through or faster than body rotation movement happens before the rip. If you don't move the arm actively the safest place would be to drop the hand to the left thigh.

For such a long goal in distance you need to reach back so that the heels and the back face the target and the arm is as far away from the target as possible.

The place where you plant the final step is halfway between a control shot described in my signature and a distance throw getting the worst of both worlds. I'd follow the advice of Scott Stokely and use one form for max control and another for D.

Try yawning and shaking the arm muscles loose before throwing. While your throws don't look like the stiffest throws ever the arm moves and accelerates so slowly that i suspect you are too tight in the arm early in the throw. One sure fire sign to stop and restart is if you notice the throat muscles tensing up or the teeth gritting. Your behavior seems loose enough but the throw is not as easy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby chainsmoker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 am

I'm in no position to critique your throwing motion, but i really like your video. At the 5 second mark just imagine there is a basket a few feet to the left of the frame :D Ching! It's either the shortest ace or the hardest putt.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby seabas22 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm

You plant a bit too far/open and get too flat on the rear heel pushing from the heel and your balance too far behind your feet/heels. You end up pushing your body forward instead of rotating, but still end up not weight forward enough. You want to stay taller on the x-step, and then go into squat coming down on to the plant and push/rotate from the instep of the rear foot instead of the heel.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Return to Video Critique