Friend impressed with feedback from forum, requests critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Friend impressed with feedback from forum, requests crit

Postby itlnstln » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:44 am

JR wrote:
itlnstln wrote:
JR wrote:Many top pros release the disc when their body faces 9.30-10 o'clock.

I like this. I'm going to use clock terminology instead of "roughly 90 deg." 9:30-10:00 is exactly right with the disc leaving about 12:00 (probably closer to 11-11:30). If my shoulders get past 10:00, I'm spraying right. 9:30 is a little better for me, personally. I'm a tall(-ish), lanky dude with big shoulders and long arms, so the extra length of arm-whip (however long) works well for me.

The body is in the same position with 90 degrees left of the target or 9 o'clock the terminology does not change anything. If you spray right trying to turn the torso closer toward the target it means the arm is not yet in the correct place leading the movements, the hips or the shoulders or both lead the movements. Possible causes are too slow arm pull from the left pec forward, too short a pause or super quick hip and/or shoulder turning. Spraying right does not happen if the elbow is well ahead of the body at the right pec position and waiting a little longer in the pause and having some core muscle tightness without flat footed plant step helps a lot in avoiding too early momentum shift from the x steps into twisting the hips.

I spray right because my upper body timing is ahead of of my lower body timing. I still hit in the same orientation. My upper body timing is solid and my lower body timing is solid, but occasionally, my upper body gets ahead of my lower body. It's usually when I don't trust my accuracy so I (subconsciously) try to look before I throw. When my arm is out of sync, I spray left. This I recognize quickly and adjust for.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby itlnstln » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:53 am

ranger wrote:
seabas22 wrote:Your hips should be turning backwards as the front foot moves forward and hips should be closed at the plant. You are turning your hips forward before your weight transfers.

So, turn the hips back as the right foot moves forward? I'm still not sure what exactly it means to have closed hips.

When the plant foot hits, should the hips be at 9:00 and the left foot behind the right?

When the plant foot hits, you're hips should be at 6:00. You then drive your hips to the 9:00-ish position. In Dave's video, he's greatly exaggerating for effect. You don't really want to be quite as leaned back as he is. Avery Jenkins is a good person to observe hip drive.

You can see it (it's subtle) in this video at 1:54 and he talks a bit about it at 3:15:

Last edited by itlnstln on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 am

ranger wrote:
seabas22 wrote:Your hips should be turning backwards as the front foot moves forward and hips should be closed at the plant. You are turning your hips forward before your weight transfers.

So, turn the hips back as the right foot moves forward? I'm still not sure what exactly it means to have closed hips.

When the plant foot hits, should the hips be at 9:00 and the left foot behind the right?

If your front hip is closer to the left side of the tee/ target line your hips are closed and the front thigh should be rotated in.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 pm

itlnstln wrote:
ranger wrote:

When the plant foot hits, you're hips should be at 6:00. You then drive your hips to the 9:00-ish position. In Dave's video, he's greatly exaggerating for effect. You don't really want to be quite as leaned back as he is. Avery Jenkins is a good person to observe hip drive.

You can see it (it's subtle) in this video at 1:54 and he talks a bit about it at 3:15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCs5u9ecVis

(Am I a moron or do the YouTube tags not work?)

Your post did not have the result from clicking the youtube button. And try http instead of https for a higher chance of success and paste the link in between the brackets between the youtube surrounded by bracket texts.

Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby itlnstln » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:57 pm

JR wrote:Your post did not have the result from clicking the youtube button. And try http instead of https for a higher chance of success and paste the link in between the brackets between the youtube surrounded by bracket texts.

Got it, thanks.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Video Critique