critique this noob pleaseeee

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

critique this noob pleaseeee

Postby lunasol » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:16 pm

so this being my first post...i've been playing for about a year now (4-5 months of serious every day playing and practicing) and have been trying to work on my drives. so far i've been averaging 200-250' with my max being a 285' hyzer flip using my fiance's latitude 64 diamond 150g. i took three videos and merged them into one throwing the same discs in the same order (Prodigy F3 172g, Latitude 64 Diamond 150g, MVP Amp 171g). there are some obvious things that i notice while watching myself that i do wrong but i would love some feedback from you guys with what to be working on.

i started off throwing with a x-step and decided to start working on standstill throws before adding in my run-up. i have been able to get really great accuracy (throwing the disc low, flat, and straight), but my main issue is seeing the disc just fade out around that 200' mark. i have enough "power" to flip a 150g dx leopard and my fiance's 150g diamond from a ridiculous hyzer angle and have it finish right every time. with the F3, i normally release it flat and it'll go out about 180-210' and start fading fairly rapidly. every now and then i've seen it start turning right from a flat release, but it'll still fade pretty hard at the end of its flight. with the Amp, i've been noticing that, if i'm throwing for distance in a field, i can flip it and watch it turn right and come back to a soft fade at the end with a slight hyzer/flat release. all of the shots on the video landed in the 210-240' range (except for the first throw which was terribly off-balance). /endrant

lunasol
Noob

Favorite Disc: MVP Amp

Re: critique this noob pleaseeee

Postby JR » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Welcome. Busy at finnish nationals now so sorry for briefness. Accuracy is the domain of slower throws so this is ok or rather good. I would pause thd body rotation for a little longer so that you can get the elbow farther forward before straightening it. For distance the arm needs to move faster and you get good distance from such a slow speed. Twisting the hips faster right and the same for the wrist then stopping the wrist helps too. Otherwise more power comes from taking steps.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby lunasol » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks for your reply JR. Briefness is alright (you responded) and your response is much appreciated. I didn't realize that I was throwing that slow until I shot that video. Decided to try throwing/turning faster a couple days ago on my regular course and I was getting into birdie range on holes I used to be happy making par on. If you (or anyone for that matter) have any other tips/advice on ways to train my throws to be faster or how to get my elbow farther out (other than "practice"), it would be much appreciated.

Again, thanks.
lunasol
Noob

Favorite Disc: MVP Amp

Postby JR » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Elbow forward has to do with the pause and much has been written of it so searching this site helps. I'd practice getting the elbow more forward in front of a mirror to see when to start pushing with the left leg and turning the body toward the target. That needs to happen later than most people do naturally including you. The elbow must not go so far ahead that the shoulder to the elbow part of the upper arm is pointed straight at the target. It will lock the elbow and the momentum tries to force the arm straight and it may destroy the tendons and muscles. It hurts like hell even without damage. It is hard to push the elbow that far but it is possible so a few centimeters short is a good goal for health reasons.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique