Please take a look and see if you can help

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Please take a look and see if you can help

Postby loki993 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 am

I have a few videos for everyone to look at and see if they can see what I'm doing wrong. a little background. Ive been playing about a year and I really started playing a lot and practicing at the beginning of the season...March timeframe probably. I probably average throws in the 250 265 range..sometimes I keep the disc flat but also sometimes it goes nose up and crashes left. I get no snap and I feel like I'm never in the power zone . These videos are a little older but I haven't really changed much since then. I'm trying to think of what else I've caught myself doing....lately I've been trying to work on timing because I also think I'm strongarming and pulling too early....hence the nose up issue I think. Nothing seems to help though....no matter what I try I don't get anymore distance...I throw about the same if tis a mid or a driver and it doesn't really matter if I do a run up or not....

I have a few different videos to focus on different angles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Full run up

Short run up one steps

day later with better reachback
loki993
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Re: Please take a look and see if you can help

Postby JR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 am

The later reach back is good for control shots but you can reach back farther than that for more power generation. Unfortunately a longer reach back is harder to keep in control and losing balance at first is a very likely scenario. It is normal tolose distance by planting the last two steps with the feet pointing 180 degrees away from the target and the navel and nose pointing away from the target when you reach back the most.

You take steps stop and swing with the arm. It is likely that you could throw farther with stand stills. Your full speed run up is not. At that pace a hundred yards is gonna last half a minute. Unless you have health issues you can run much faster. You will need to take a follow through step with the left leg after the disc has left. To avoid twisting anything the right foot must not be flat footed. I recommend pivoting on the right heel.

You will get more snap moving the elbow closer to the target when the disc is at the right pec. Overdoing it can injure yojr arm so i would leave the elbow an inch or two short of maximum extension. In order to move the elbow to lead the throw the body needs to stop rotating for a while. Specifically when the disc cones to the left side lasting until the right pec position.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby loki993 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 am

Im dropping my elbow right and I should keep it high?

Maybe I should try cutting the reachback for the time being.....

You take steps stop and swing with the arm....I follow this a bit but not totally.....thats wrong Im assuming?

also I don't have any health issues....those are just easy runups...If I get too fast it throws my timing off even more... I'm trying to get everything down before I go full speed....

I do try from standstills but for whatever reason its very hard for me.....I have even more nose angle issues and I don't seem to shift my weight properly from a stand still....which is why I usually throw with a one step or something like that.....
loki993
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm

The fundamentals of momentum are lost when you sit on your rear heel and then push from the rear heel trying to shift your weight. Don't let the rear heel touch the ground and don't try to shift your weight with the upper body. Your upper body moves back too far in the reachback and forward too much in the forward swing. You need to turn the hips and shoulders keeping the spine more balanced upright between your feet rather than lean the upper body back and forth past your feet/center. The weight shift happens from the lower body/lower spine moving into a braced front leg. Turning the hips/shoulders will also help keep your arm away from your chest so you stop hugging yourself. The disc not your upper arm should come through close to the chest.

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby loki993 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 am

Went out and tried to work on a few things then the mosquitoes got bad and it was getting dark.

A few things.....I really tried to concentrate on the arm position...pulling the disc close to my body but not my arm......so that would keep my elbow up but it also felt like I was chicken winging my arm....not sure it thats right or not......it generated a few nice looking throws but not more distance....to be expected obviously...I was also throwing putters.

I closed up my stance a bit...maybe not the best thing in the long run but it seemed to help my swaying and I could shift my weight a little better....

When I try to push the nose of the disc down...put my wrist in an extreme handshake position my hand hurts when the disc comes out....normal or a concern? Am I pushing too far?

I get too fast I know that so I tried some no reachback shots and they were ok, sort of like a modified right pec drill. I need some better ways to slow down and focus on late acceleration. Right now sometimes I just pull as hard as I can from the beginning and that doesn't work...my shots are much better when I go slow and smooth. Would throwing something really flippy help with that? It would force me to use a slow controlled pullthrough....otherwise the disc would just crash right and turn into a roller....

I did have a few really nice throws with the putters....
loki993
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Getting more snap shakes muscles and tendons and being unused to tilted down hand stretches the arm muscles more and pushes them beyond the comfort zone. So it is normal and there is an adjustment period. The older one is the more warm ups stretching and low powered throws are needed prior to practice and playing. The soft tissues in the arm move back and forth and a slow motion video showed the shockwave traveling from my elbow to wrist back to elbow so that the wave increased the forearm diameter by a third.

The tighter the elbow bends the faster it straightens. Yes it feels weird for a while. Some can pull well at navel height but most have the best distance when the arm is a little above the navel to a little over the nipples. Shoulder high tightens up muscles so that many feel uncomfortable which can mess up throws.

Putters are great for learning form and highly recommended. Some have unclean releases and learning other things can be achieved well with mids thar are not overstable. Which masks form errors.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique