The Typical Plateau

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The Typical Plateau

Postby Joemic1492 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums for about 6 months (started playing in May) trying to absorb all of the technical info! Things make so much sense in my head and then when I go to put it into practice, I just keep hitting the same 300' results. I've been getting a little better consistency-wise, but generally just hitting the same distance. This video is from August, so it's a little outdated, but I have very limited filming options, so I wanted to post this one anyway. Any changes in form have been minor and ineffective anyway. Let me know what I'm doing wrong! Even looking at it, I can tell it's just not smooth at all. Thank you, everyone!

http://vimeo.com/68146901
Joemic1492
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: The Typical Plateau

Postby luma » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:45 am

Well if you have been lurking around forums then you will know that JR is probably the expert :) I will tell you my thoughts though, maybe it helps you, sometimes you just need to have a feeling that you repeat on every throw instead of getting too technical.

Concerning consistency....: It looks like you push your hip around with your left leg during your throw. So at the moment when you release the disc, you push forward with your left leg, so your body spins too fast and you have a huge step forward after your throw. It's ok if you go max max max D, but not for normal throws. Look at those guys and how they push with their left leg. They don't push to spin their body around but they push into their right leg. It's also important to know, that your right leg should stop the force coming from the left leg, so with a 80 % power shot you should be able to do the throw without a follow-through step forward.

Concerning distance....: The mentioned helped me throw 30' further too, but to me it looks like you're getting not enough snap. Your motion is too consistent speedwise. You have to pull a little slower at the beginning, then get faster when you're in front of your chest and really accelerate from there - NOT by spinning, but by the above mentioned push into your right leg AND a snap with your arm (also look at the youtube video how their arm is really used like a whip) This should help with distance plus consistency as you will get a more defined release (when you have a concistent disc speed, when is it supposed to leave your hand? when you really get faster and faster, it will leave your hand at the fastest point which will be when your arm straightens out)

Again: I am not sure if this is 10000% correct, but that's what has really helped me, and it is two simple thoughts and feelings that you can do rather than fixing it by doing typical technique stuff (pull to here, then do that, then push......)
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby Joemic1492 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks for input, luma! Whether you're 10000% sure or not, all of that makes a lot of sense. As I said, that video is a little old and I think I've overcome some of the quick spinning issues you mentioned (probably not all). I definitely see what you're saying in that video, though. I definitely do not have the "feel" that you mention. Like you said, it looks like I'm sort of just putting my body in the positions I read about. I need to gain a better understanding of what these progressions should feel like and also how to make my arm more of a whip.

I totally agree on the snap issue...I guess I just don't understand how to consistently accelerate. When I try to, I end up moving really really slowly until my hips are neutral, then I just feel awkward trying to move my arm until the elbow chops and then whip my arm. It all gets very choppy (or feels like it at least). My accuracy has gotten leagues better and my putting has been much improved. I feel like once I can finally figure out this whole distance thing, I'll be able to compete at a much higher level. I know distance isn't everything, but when you're hitting all the gaps on a 350' hole and still needing to take a three because you're just a little too short... it's frustrating!

Anyway, thank you again luma :D
Joemic1492
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:07 am

Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique