driving vid. PLEASE CRITIQUE!

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

driving vid. PLEASE CRITIQUE!

Postby usl4 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:25 am

New(ish) disc golfer and my interest in the game really took off this past summer. I have tried to improve my game with reading up on all that one can on technique, OAT, angles, disc selection, putting....pretty much all of it. I know i still have a long ways to go but i feel I am lacking a more experienced opinion on everything I am doing. Most of the videos i took are of me driving from the box. I am sure there are many things i am doing wrong and/or could improve on. Please take a look and let me know what i should or need to change and possibly how to do so. I apologize in advanced if it is not the greatest videos. Mostly disc on my own (why i posting on here) and was using my phone...Thank you for at least taking the time to look!

Not sure how to load em...hope it worked.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dr7plYo-e0[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dr7plYo-e0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dr7plYo-e0
usl4
Noob

Favorite Disc: M4

Re: driving vid. PLEASE CRITIQUE!

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Videos are private- can't view them.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby usl4 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:30 pm

should be public now. my bad.
usl4
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:27 pm

I watched the middle one and only the first few minutes and there is enough to do based on that so let us start off with that because there is too much to change simultaneously in those throws to try at a single time. Don't be discouraged because you will see improvements. For starters changing form is much easier to do with taking slower steps.

You are not getting a proper weight shift forward because you raise the right leg from the hip joint in the last step. That makes you take a way way too long of a plant step. The right leg is keeping you from shifting to an uproght position as the disc rips out. You are also spinning out meaning your body rotates in a continuous movement making you turn toward the target too early moving the disc on an arc instead of a straight line. The way to do things is to move the disc from the reach back to the rip with a three stage movement of the body. The first can come from momentum alone at such high speeds you were moving in and with slow steps with slight left leg push. The first stage ends when the navel and face point ot the left side of the tee pad and the right leg needs to brace or stop relative to the grund using as much tension in the muscles as possible once the heel is on the ground and the ball of the foot is up. The disc is around your left side. The second stage has your body almost stopping and the arm moving the disc to the right side or beyond depending on the style and your body proportions. The arm is moved forward from the shoulder moving straight at the target. The third stage has a sharp left leg push forward and depending on the style possibly pivoting first on the left leg ball of the foot and twisting the knees to the right or not, then loosening the right leg and pivoting on the heel with the hips twisting to the right and shoulders turning even farther right, elbow straightening wrist snapping forward and the disc pivoting. The final step length changes with running speed but normally about shoulder width is ok for slow control throws and a foot to two longer is fine for mst shots. Spagats are not.

Mind the path the disc takes after you shift your weight forward the reach back should be as high as the rip point for a line drive for accuracy. Distance shots are anther matter. Once you master not throwing high and having the disc not stalling out you could add power by reaching back much farther. It can kill your balance at first and reduce distance so it could take months to gain power. Then you will add so much distance that there is no turning back from that technique so persistency and regular field practice is mandatory. The way you reach back farther is to turn the feet farther away from the target (up to the heels pointing at the target in the x step and landing of the plant step), turning your back at the target and turning the shoulders far back enough to allow the head to turn away from the target and the arm reaching as far back as you can or almost. The right shoulder should be farther back than the left in the farthest point of the reach back.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby usl4 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Not discouraged at all! I know i have much to improve on so thank you for taking a look and trying to help me out. Like i said, I got hooked this past summer and kind of hit a wall as far as my skill level. I have always been pretty good at most things and picked them up quickly so its a little frustrating. You said a lot so forgive me if i seem to repeat myself or ask simple questions that you have already answered. So you think changing my form is where I should start and to do so, for starters, is to take slower, smaller steps during my x step? I also need to be starting on a straight line, or in the center of the box, instead of back right? (assuming i want a flat shot) I have realized that my body seems to spin as i try to pull the disc through. Keeping my right leg locked with my hip instead of raising it can help with bringing my body to an upright position can help? I will definitely try to focus on this when doing some field practice. Thank you!
usl4
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:07 am

Slowing down is always a safe bet when changing form. Yup locked right leg/hip angle can be a great starting point in the search for the perfect step length per any given running speed. The first steps are ok in length i'd just shorten the final step of the x step. That will definitely make getting upright easier but you also need a quick left leg back to front push. I think you should try different ways of moving to see the pros and cons of each step on the center of the tee pad vs starting from right rear ending up in the middle for a flat shot. The latter should have the disc far away from the left pec and close to the right pec. IMO it is a good distance technique but problematic for less than maximum distance accuracy throws. You cannot see the taret enugh throwing that way to aim visually. Spinning is ok as long as it remains a mirror of the x step. Not more. If your follow through step lands well right of the line you were on for a flat shot you are spinning out. not moving in three phases and/or not stopping the right leg in place after the plant step ball of the foot rises to the air.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique