Aaron_D

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Aaron_D » Wed May 21, 2008 9:33 am

hmmm. what about it look painful? I always thought a big follow through should alleviate strain. Are you talking about my shoulder, elbow, back? Since this vid I have received some feedback from a few pro's and one mentioned that I should be following through more towards my target, but nothing was said about it creating strain or being dangerous.

On that note I did try planting more than 90 degrees from the target and it did feel like it was putting strain on my plant knee. Keep in mind these were longer drives, so I was putting some juice on it....not 100% juice, but 90+.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Seanzerelli » Wed May 21, 2008 11:15 am

The part of the follow through that looks stressful is the abrupt stop at the end. I'd pivot more on my plant foot to keep my arm from coming to that abrupt stop at the end. I just naturally spin more on my plant foot if my arm is following through hard.
Seanzerelli
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Wed May 21, 2008 12:27 pm

I see what youre saying, but if I spun around any more than I do, I would be facing my back all the way towards my target. If anything I think I might be spinning too much. My left shoulder is already coming through more than 180 degrees and pointing to the right of my target at the end of my follow through. The problem is you have to strike a balance between finishing power and control. I think I am leaning more towards armspeed/finishing power and less towards control...which isnt good. Keep in mind these are fairly long thows...not max D, but not nice easy 350'ers.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Seanzerelli » Wed May 21, 2008 3:56 pm

I don't usually take much stock of what I do after I release. There's that instant where I release and I'm looking at the target in that Climo pose, but after that I just try to keep myself from any abrupt stops, as per the advice on this site about hurting your arm throwing. I think its mainly when I throw far that I spin all the way around after a release. I don't think it would mess up your throw if you're lengthening your follow through. I take it in stride because I figure only taller people are allowed to swing slow and still get the mad distance.
Seanzerelli
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu May 22, 2008 3:16 am

Aaron_D wrote:I see what youre saying, but if I spun around any more than I do, I would be facing my back all the way towards my target. If anything I think I might be spinning too much. My left shoulder is already coming through more than 180 degrees and pointing to the right of my target at the end of my follow through. The problem is you have to strike a balance between finishing power and control. I think I am leaning more towards armspeed/finishing power and less towards control...which isnt good. Keep in mind these are fairly long thows...not max D, but not nice easy 350'ers.

If only I had the body control of a gymnast/martial artist... Power without control in this sport is nearly useless. Mind over muscle. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't try to push oneself form wise on the practice field for future development. It can mess up regular throwing though. Usually the things worth striving for require steps back before advancing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Video Critique