Bradley "Brisket" Walker Drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 pm

you know crap loads more about disc than i do, so I know better than to critique your throw, or anyone elses that has been playing longer than i have. Plus i'm not very good at seeing what's wrong.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby geoloseth » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:52 pm

From playing a round at the big belt buster course brad has changed his runup somewhat. I think what he meant to say is that he's getting more push off from his back leg instead of throwing from it. He went from landing flat footed on his xstep to landing on his toes which allows for more weight shift and more explosive power from you hips. Even after throwing 17 holes in the hot Texas heat he still managed to crank a wraith out to, near as makes no difference, 500' with the help of some wind.

I have to say I've learned alot from playing and practicing with him. He's one of the few people I've met in person who can tell you all the small things your doing wrong and explain how to easily fix them. I'm now putting my teebirds close to a constant 360' (maybe more if this wind would ever die down) where as about 2 months ago I was strugling to get my wraiths that far. And I've been wining most of the local minis at the lake park. If I could convince him to take a weekend off and be my caddie I would consider playing advanced at some of the local tourneys. I think now I would have a chance at placing where as a few months ago I was considering moving down to rec.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:45 am

geoloseth,

That's great improvement. Great to hear your starting to win stuff, that's a huge confidence builder. Now you know that you can do it, so it's much easier to want to play.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:09 am

Seth is very kind.

I know what I want to do, now I am going about figuring it out.

Before I was throwing like this: x step, plant, throw

Now I am trying to make all that one thing.

I am going have to find some more power, or Seth is going to pass me!!!

Seriously, I felt like I was making strides immediately, it is just a matter of having a vision of the new move in my head.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby geoloseth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:59 am

Speaking of making strides, when brad and I were talking and playing yesterday he mentioned incorporating a pendulum motion in the pull back where your arm swings downward instead of punching the disc backward. He tolde how Blake had mentioned it to him and how it lowers your front shoulder which almost all of the longer throwers do when airing shots out. I has tried droping the my shoulder in the practice field but I was droping it while still punching the disc backward. Yesterday it clicked and I realized that I had seen another person do that with his throws, my other friend who throws 500'+. I used to think that it was just some goofy form that he used and that was not part of the reason he threw so far. But yesterday I tried doing it for long shots, just swinging my arm downward and back. When I did it correctly it felt like my whole body had tendon bounce and the disc just launched out even further with the same effort. The only problem I had was that it naturally put the disc on a hyzer angle during the pull but now its just a matter of time before I get used to it and start pulling the disc level.

So as I see it now the keys/steps to a fundamentally good long throw are:
Keeping your weight forward on the x step (landing on your toes)
getting your swing back to drop the shoulder
pushing of your back foot to drive your plant foot and get your weight forward
getting your pull going as soon as you plant
keeping your wrist open but loose enough to let the wrist naturally cock itself
pulling through your front shoulder
extending your wrist
continuing to drive off of your back leg to open the hips and gain more momentum
accelerating through the hit
letting your body naturally follow through

Those are the main things I focus on getting locked in and they might be happening at different times in real life and there are probably 100 more subtle rings that have to take place, but that's what's going through my mind.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:40 pm

geoloseth wrote:Speaking of making strides, when brad and I were talking and playing yesterday he mentioned incorporating a pendulum motion in the pull back where your arm swings downward instead of punching the disc backward. He tolde how Blake had mentioned it to him and how it lowers your front shoulder which almost all of the longer throwers do when airing shots out. I has tried droping the my shoulder in the practice field but I was droping it while still punching the disc backward. Yesterday it clicked and I realized that I had seen another person do that with his throws, my other friend who throws 500'+. I used to think that it was just some goofy form that he used and that was not part of the reason he threw so far. But yesterday I tried doing it for long shots, just swinging my arm downward and back. When I did it correctly it felt like my whole body had tendon bounce and the disc just launched out even further with the same effort. The only problem I had was that it naturally put the disc on a hyzer angle during the pull but now its just a matter of time before I get used to it and start pulling the disc level.

So as I see it now the keys/steps to a fundamentally good long throw are:
Keeping your weight forward on the x step (landing on your toes)
getting your swing back to drop the shoulder
pushing of your back foot to drive your plant foot and get your weight forward
getting your pull going as soon as you plant
keeping your wrist open but loose enough to let the wrist naturally cock itself
pulling through your front shoulder
extending your wrist
continuing to drive off of your back leg to open the hips and gain more momentum
accelerating through the hit
letting your body naturally follow through

Those are the main things I focus on getting locked in and they might be happening at different times in real life and there are probably 100 more subtle rings that have to take place, but that's what's going through my mind.

The one thing I hope you can explain a little more is pulling through your front shoulder. I think this might be the first time I heard this phrase used? I think I might know what it means I just can't put it into words. Any help?
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Pulling through your front (throwing arm) shoulder is just something that helps you get out of the way of yourself. Its easier if you have a reach back that turns your back to the target. Basically your pulling your arm through your body like your trying to catch up to your throwing arm shoulder (you can't do it but you can try). This causes your elbow to come out in front of your throwing arm, it helps you pull straight at the target, and it stops you from having your shoulder open up too fast during your throw. Plus for me it helps me throw more explosively where I'm not throwing with just one speed and I'm hittig like I'm punching my hand at the target.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 am

geoloseth wrote:Pulling through your front (throwing arm) shoulder is just something that helps you get out of the way of yourself. Its easier if you have a reach back that turns your back to the target. Basically your pulling your arm through your body like your trying to catch up to your throwing arm shoulder (you can't do it but you can try). This causes your elbow to come out in front of your throwing arm, it helps you pull straight at the target, and it stops you from having your shoulder open up too fast during your throw. Plus for me it helps me throw more explosively where I'm not throwing with just one speed and I'm hittig like I'm punching my hand at the target.

I never thought of it that way. I think this will help me out. I have been having problems with throwing anhyzer or throwing everything off to the right and the only thing I could pinpoint it to was not getting my elbow through before my shoulder opens up. If I really concentrate on it I can do it but as soon as I slip up mentally I am off to the same motion. I think this will give me another way to think about things. Thanks for the tips.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Video Critique