Joe's driving form

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Joe's driving form

Postby BLURR » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:00 pm

I never realized until today...how bad my form really looks on video. Feel free to fire away at it. The first few shots were midrange shots that all landed around the 300 mark. Followed by my fairway drivers to about 330 and then my long range drives were landing about 345 tonight. Not too impressive.

Driving video
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Star Shark » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Try turning your hips and shoulders more away from the target and extending your reach back some.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:50 pm

More weight shift forward by pushing harder with the left leg and bending the waist forward. The standard advice is to have the heart over the right knee at the hit. For sure more power from twisting the hips so that your follow through is a third longer at least. If your timing, form and finger strength allow you could use faster x steps for more power and harder wrist bend leading to more plyometric loading which fires the wrist and elbow chop parts of snap for higher RPM and longer and straighter drives.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby garublador » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:05 am

It looks like you're trying to stop your arm after the hit rather than following through strong. That's robbing you of the late acceleration needed to gain more distance.

I'm not very good at video critiques so this may be off, but I'm not sure I'm seeing your right shoulder "unfold." I'm not 100% sure I understand the concept, but watch videos of players who throw far with very little apparent effort. The way their shoulder rotates after the hit looks different to me than the way yours does.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby BLURR » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Well...I headed out to the practice field this afternoon and thought I would try a few tips that I got. The biggest helper, was actually raising my throwing arm. When I was releasing, my arm was very low. By raising it a good 8 inches, voila...instant distance. It feels kind of goofy, just because I have always had a low center of release. I will try to get some new footage of the new arm position.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby CJ1998 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Good consistency, nice and compact, in control.

The thing that really stood out to me was that it seems like your arm is bent the whole time, meaning little elbow extension. That's where a good deal of power is generated. See Nate Doss's drive video. There are pictures on this site, too.

In a video, it looks like his arm is straight the whole time. In the pictures, you can see how much bend he gets just before the hit. Then, right after the hit you can see how straight his arm is. That happens in probably a few hundredths of a second so it's really hard to see in real time.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Joe's driving form

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Necro bump...

A few photographers were out snapping pic's at the park the other day. This was one of their compilations...

Easy 290 ft. hyzer throw with a buzzz...
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Do you always take such a long plant step? I'm thinking that for a control throw it could e 3-7" shorter.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 am

JR wrote:Do you always take such a long plant step? I'm thinking that for a control throw it could e 3-7" shorter.

Pretty much yes. Might have to try shortening up my plant step. Also looks like I could use a little more shoulder turn. Anybody agree with that?
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby CatPredator » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 am

The big plant step may be forcing your hips open early, and preventing a good weight transfer. It also may limit the amount of coiling and uncoiling your torso can achieve, preventing you from getting your shoulders closed.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 am

The shoulders should turn past the hips at or before the hit by that amount. In the follow through it limits the amount of power you'll generate.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:59 am

A couple of new clips.

Downhill 598 feet, Echo Star Teebird

Downhill 598 feet, S-FD

290 foot hyzer shots with roc's

I normally throw a wizard on an anhyzer line on the 290 hole, but wanted to practice some short roc hyzers.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby keltik » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 pm

smooth
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:51 am

Those all looked like control not distance throws. Have you compared your form to the one described in my signature for accuracy throws? If you have what have the results been in accuracy and consistency for you? Considering your health issues i'd raise the ball of the foot for less torque on the leg in the pivot. With the added bonus of more safety margin against the foot being stopped mid pivot by roots or rocks in second throws.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:15 am

You are correct. All of these were control drives. No need to pull out the hulk smash drives for 300 foot roc shots and downhill drives. I am going to be playing Smithville tomorrow, might take the camera with and try to get some actual drives recorded.

Also, what health issues are you referring to?
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Video Critique