From the HIt and Putting Videos

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

From the HIt and Putting Videos

Postby noah » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:18 am

Here are few videos of me taking it from the hit and right pecin' it and also putting. I'm hoping to keep kinda an online video dairy of my progress and hopefully someone else can learn a thing or two along the way.

Here are the putting ones: http://sites.google.com/a/themostlyhone ... me/putting

and here is the right pec:

http://sites.google.com/a/themostlyhone ... om-the-hit

Thanks in advance.
noah
Tree Magnet

Re: From the HIt and Putting Videos

Postby garublador » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:27 pm

noah wrote:http://sites.google.com/a/themostlyhonesttruth.com/disc-golf/Home/from-the-hit

Thanks in advance.
It looks to me like you aren't getting the weight shift required to get the nose down. Even from a stand still your back foot should end up in front of your pivot foot during your follow through and should come off the ground before the hit.

Watch some of the videos on this site and see how their trailing foot and hips move compared to the pull.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:34 pm

looks like your stroke is up/down also - it's hard to tell since the video didn't play... I could scroll it through, but it didn't play by itself.

You mentioned distance, but that's not what you're after with this exercise.

Just try to get the "feel" of snap and keeping the disc close to your chest. Try and just get a level shot. Putters are good to use because you can treat it like approach shots and get a good idea about how far they'll go and you can use it on the course.

Hopefully, you can then translate that "feel" into a full stroke and benefit from more distance! :)

Edit: The putts look really hyzer. Maybe that's what you want, but I prefer a little flatter putt. Also, the putts look really casual - I'd make sure you're transferring your weight from back to front and kicking out the back leg for balance. Watch Angela Tschiggfrie putt - she has a great form. You can modify it as you see fit/need, but she's a great starting point for a goal. Also, check out Ken Climo's website (kenclimo.com) for his putting clinic - that's a great video as well.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby noah » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks for the awesome reply.

I'll check out the reccommended videos.

A few points of clarification:

1. Doesn't distance give me a way to judge snap and feeling the hit? I can feel the disc get super heavy and my forearm tightens up.

2. I agree that a flatter putt is ideal, i'll have to video tape from a different angle, but I was concerned about the hyzer too. It looks like when you slow the video down that they are flying pretty flat with not as much hyzer would be expected.

Again, thanks for the input...I really appreciate it.
noah
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm

For some reason I skipped over the putting video before. Sorry about that.

black udder wrote:Edit: The putts look really hyzer. Maybe that's what you want, but I prefer a little flatter putt. Also, the putts look really casual - I'd make sure you're transferring your weight from back to front and kicking out the back leg for balance. Watch Angela Tschiggfrie putt - she has a great form. You can modify it as you see fit/need, but she's a great starting point for a goal. Also, check out Ken Climo's website (kenclimo.com) for his putting clinic - that's a great video as well.
I agree with this stuff, too. It also looks to me like you're putting quite a bit of loft on those putts for only having to putt 10'-20'. Like BA said, actually transferring weight from back to front will help out a ton. I haven't seen a video of myself putting, but I guarantee that my weight shift looked just like yours up until a month or so ago. My putting make percent also went up dramatically (not that that's saying much) a month or so ago once I started shifting my weight properly. It will make the biggest difference outside of 20'.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby geoloseth » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Putting:
You're releasing the disc VERY low and you don't seem to have a follow through. Try putting with more of a pushing motion from the chest toward the basket instead of a upward flicking motion from the waist.

From the Hit:
Get your weight forward over your plant leg. Even with just stand still throwing and no reach back, the pull should start from your left shoulder and go straight toward your target. Try getting some rocking motion from your back leg to your front. Check out the Ken Climo on youtube where he shows how he transfers weight from one leg to the other for standstill shots.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:41 pm

noah wrote:Thanks for the awesome reply.

I'll check out the reccommended videos.

A few points of clarification:

1. Doesn't distance give me a way to judge snap and feeling the hit? I can feel the disc get super heavy and my forearm tightens up.

2. I agree that a flatter putt is ideal, i'll have to video tape from a different angle, but I was concerned about the hyzer too. It looks like when you slow the video down that they are flying pretty flat with not as much hyzer would be expected.

Again, thanks for the input...I really appreciate it.

With putting - flatter isn't necessarily better - just my preference. I know a guy who putts really well with a hyzer putt. I personally think that takes longer to develop though - I don't think you'd see an improvement as quickly as you would with a flatter putt. Somebody else recommends from the chest out, but a pitch putt (like barry schultz or ken climo) is from below the waist up). Find something that you are comfortable with foremost.

I like the straddle because I have a solid base. From 30' and in, it works great for me. Some folks don't care for it at all though - some even say that it took a long time to get results. I think it takes a bit to 'catch on', but once you do, it's a fast improvement. The split leg is popular and a tried and true putt though. hard to go wrong with either. Minimize your movements and keep the spin to a minimum on putts 25' and inside. Not NO spin, just MINIMUM. Enough to make the disc rotate, but not to add a lot of glide. Climo has said to think of lit like tossing a brick into the chains. You don't have to worry as much then about left to right movement, just up/down and distance.

As for the throw - the drill of throwing from the right pec is designed to help you understand what snap feels like. You'll see a big improvement in your short game (under 200') with and without snap. So, just toss them with the focus on keeping the disc in to your chest and cocking your wrist and snapping it open at elbow extension.

Once you can do that consistently on your shorter throws, then you can apply that to a driver with some speed/power. The problem is that if you try and apply it before you're comfortable repeating the throw, you'll make any number of other mistakes that will cause you to have bad drives (nose up, early release, etc.) Work on one thing at a time - if you can get the feel of "snap", then you can build on that, but it'll help you out long term with your short game as well as when you move onto distance drives.

Snap will allow you to throw your putters over 150' without them just turning over into the ground.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby disctribution » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 pm

noah wrote:and here is the right pec:

http://sites.google.com/a/themostlyhone ... om-the-hit

Thanks in advance.

The reason your grunting is because you're not lifting your left foot during the hit and letting your kinetic energy release in a spin on the ball of your right foot. If you continue tweaking your back and knees in this manor you will develope some chronic pains.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby noah » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:58 pm

No video update, but disctribution's advice gained me a 25-35 feet on the putter drivers and 10-20 feet on my gazelles.

I need to go back and work on the hit though...

My putting has completely sucked, but one step back two steps forward...right?
noah
Tree Magnet

Postby mcoppel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Your putting needs to be taken much more seriously. It's to casual and no concentration. Don't hold a stack of putters while practicing, get a routine going and work on concentration and release.

Check out the new video up on Discrafts site about putting also.
mcoppel
Noob

Postby noah » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:41 pm

I switched to a stradle putt and that seemed to help things.

If they go in is "no concentration" a bad thing?

I guess what I'm asking is if I practice how I putt and putt how I practice if I appear to not be concentrating is that bad?
noah
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:01 pm

putting should be almost effortless, but you look like your just tossing I in the air at the basket. Switching to a flatter putt style with more arm extension should make it easier to pick a chain and actually hit it. I would assume from watching just your motion that the putts durring windy days don't hit chains that often.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:26 pm

noah wrote:I switched to a stradle putt and that seemed to help things.

If they go in is "no concentration" a bad thing?

I guess what I'm asking is if I practice how I putt and putt how I practice if I appear to not be concentrating is that bad?

If they all go in, I guess it doesn't matter. However, I think the comment was because you appeared so lackadaisical. Most folks that compete show some sort of desire to accomplish what they're trying to do. You appear to be just tossing discs at the basket with no intent for them to go in. In truth - if you don't keep score, it doesn't matter, but if you do, then the expectation is that you would be focusing on the disc going into the basket more than you appear to be.

Of course, appearances could be wrong :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Star Shark » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:32 pm

garublador wrote:
noah wrote:http://sites.google.com/a/themostlyhonesttruth.com/disc-golf/Home/from-the-hit

Thanks in advance.
It looks to me like you aren't getting the weight shift required to get the nose down. Even from a stand still your back foot should end up in front of your pivot foot during your follow through and should come off the ground before the hit.

Watch some of the videos on this site and see how their trailing foot and hips move compared to the pull.

here's some really good footage regarding stand still weight shift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv76JEe1qUo
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Solbo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Practice how you putt.

Putt how you practice.

I dont see many Pros holding 8 other discs while putting.

As a matter of fact, at a recent clinic I went to at the Vibram, they echoed those first two sentences.

Eventhough some disc rounds are casual. I never pick up, even gimmies, I practice how I want to play. The mood may be lighter and more casual with buddies.. but we all play just as hard with the way we practice.
Solbo's Hodgepodge (trade list)

Hey that's ME! @ 51 Seconds...

**Nuke | Wraith | Orc | Force | River | Firebird | Q-Sent | Roc | Meteor | Stingray | Magnet**
Solbo
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Stamped Roc

Return to Video Critique