check out my new runup

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

check out my new runup

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vEet_UuMA4

im getting some really nice D on these...im guessing 430-460

somehow i figured out how to utilize a long runup and boom.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Beetard » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Nice work. I wish I could say more, but I really suck at video critique.

How many discs do you throw before you pick them up?

Do you usually find them all right away, or are there some you have to look for because you don't remember exactly where they landed?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby black udder » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:46 pm

I'd like to know why you're not throwing over 500'. Obviously, something is up, but you have fantastic speed, great finish/follow through and obviously have a ton of snap on the discs. Makes me wonder what you have to do! :)

I suspect you could reach back more - possibly turn your back completely away from the target on approach for max distance. Dunno though.

I still wonder if you're not releasing/ripping too far away from the body. You get your chest around faster than your arm. But you're throwing much further than me and nobody else has commented on that at all, so it's really just a wild guess. Only reason I mention is because when you see the big throwers, usually, their arm is more out in front with a squared up chest when the disc comes out while your chest is about square, but your arm is still across your chest instead of out in front and extended. It would appear that your chest gets around before your arm gets to extend.

Again...just reaching without anybody with similar distance jumping on my bandwagon :) Thanks for sharing, too. Great fun to just see them take off.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby cmlasley » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:27 am

The run-up reminds me of Barry Schultz talking about not having "Fred Flintstone tippy-toes" in that DGTV video about throwing smoothly.

Your run-up looks pretty smooth, though - your torso is not bouncing and it looks controlled.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby black udder » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:44 am

Also, something to note, you can see that you pivot your hip *before* you pull your arm. Folks curious about how that looks should watch your video. It's a slight motion, just before you pull.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:16 pm

The reason your not throwing over 500':

You have speed and snap to your throw but your not transferring it into the disc.

Force the extension of your wrist, if you are extending your wrist then throw higher.

The throws I make it over 500' with teebirds is when I throw it 40' in the air on a line drive and from some act of god the nose stays down and doesn't stall out.

"Nose down = Less Fade"
- Blake T.

I have videos coming in soon!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JR » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:38 pm

masterbeato wrote:The reason your not throwing over 500':

You have speed and snap to your throw but your not transferring it into the disc.

Force the extension of your wrist, if you are extending your wrist then throw higher.

The throws I make it over 500' with teebirds is when I throw it 40' in the air on a line drive and from some act of god the nose stays down and doesn't stall out.

"Nose down = Less Fade"
- Blake T.

I have videos coming in soon!

I've always thought that Aaron should break 500' with that speed. I'm wondering if Aaron suffers from what I think I suffer.

The wrist might extend fully but if the disc isn't held by the fingers by the time the wrist extends fully the power and spin rate just don't get to the disc. Or more specifically if trying to stop the wrist and fingers from moving at the very end of the throw the fingers let go of the disc. Before the disc pivots between the index finger and thumb pinch the same lack of speed and rotation occurs.

I've been contemplating on getting a Powerball to strengthen my fingers and arm.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Yeah JR hand strength is a quality of a powerful grip. A powerful grip adds a considerable amount of distance. A strong grip indicates how far you throw basically.

The disc is suppose to rip off of your index finger and bounce off your palm and that comes from wrist extension. The thumb is suppose to be between the rim and the flight plate pinching your index finger.

It could be because his body placement is out of line also. Or trying to throw too hard but I have given him a few drills to work on that and has been helping with that problem.

The speed Aaron gets is tremendous, but transferring all of your power to the disc is most important. Local Jon Drummond looks like he isn't even throwing it but can throw 500+ because he transfers every ounce of power he generates into the disc.

Another local Jack Smith has even more speed with his pull through than Aaron does and can also throw 500+. But he also has very very strong hands so it could be Aaron has grip and/or body placement issues which is stalling him from going over 500.

Could try taking a huge plant step with your toes facing forward. That will get a stronger and bigger push off of your opposite leg.

Or you could take a short plant step with your toes facing almost backwards. Not completely backwards like a 45 degree angle. That will harness extreme amounts of hip power/explosion.

Try that Aaron.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:19 am

500'?! You guys are nuts...I finally eek up to 450 and now I get this shenanaganery.

There was zero wind out there when I was throwing these drives. Im thinking that I could probably get some extra distance from playing the wind. Im still on a high from finally hitting these distances and Im sure I will get more comfortable as I get more time in with this technique which hopefully will yeild even more D. I will definitely try those things you mentioned beato as your advice has been very much appreciated and very helpful in the past. Im sure that with a runup like that there are some things that are breaking down and can be improved, but up until now I know for a fact that I was not harnessing my runup at all. I was just using my runup to align my body, help with rhythm, and to get good follow through...but now I can honestly say that my runup is greatly increasing my D. Ill definitely get some vids up with better slow mo and better angles for analysis.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby JR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:12 am

Aaron_D wrote:500'?! You guys are nuts...I finally eek up to 450 and now I get this shenanaganery.

Let's talk about that after you break 500' :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:10 pm

black udder wrote:I still wonder if you're not releasing/ripping too far away from the body. You get your chest around faster than your arm. But you're throwing much further than me and nobody else has commented on that at all, so it's really just a wild guess.

ok - MB - I'm calling you out - or Blake - to comment on this - am I way off here? From what I've learned recently, he would appear to be throwing the same way I do when I'm looking for maximum snap on a short, controlled shot. I'll throw that far away from my body when I'm trying to thread a drive about 250'ish.

When I go for max D, my goal is to pull much tighter the whole way through. You can get a freeze frame on one of those drives that shows the disc about 8" away from his chest.

Could it be that the arm speed and maximum minor snap is getting the distance? Maybe he's rotating the upper body too fast and the arm/disc is lagging behind?

Curious.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Pulling tight across your chest is something you have to do every single drive "ESPECIALLY" when your threading the needle.

His snap and a little acceleration he's getting is making him go tht fhat far. If he pulls tighter he will gain a lot more D. Accurate D that is.

When you pull tight to your body you accelerate faster and the disc comes out on a more straight line out of your chest completely straight ahead of you. Looks like the person is throwing with his chest if your standing right behind the person.

A better way to get it is if you come through with your elbow first and then coming through with your body. That will automatically tighten up everything and make your body motions more compacted.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby kcantrell » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Aaron,
Are you still in Tally town?
kcantrell
Noob

Postby J-Man » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Very nice form, smooth; with the max acceleration at the snap. But whoa, what do you do when confronted by a short pad?
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:57 am

right now im training for a new job in tampa, but I will be back in tallahassee in about 2 months.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Next

Return to Video Critique