chunk's throw

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

chunk's throw

Postby chunk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:19 pm

here is a video of my throwing some putters. any feedback is appreciated.

i'm getting my putter out ~ 225 - 250' w/an x-step and mid/drivers only a tad farther. in the video you can hear me say "that one's on the roof" and then her the disc hit a shed 225' away. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uxuN1SmMhQ
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby black udder » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:55 pm

okay - some comments:

1. You could finish - increase your arm speed past the hit. You just sort of stop after the hit.
2. doesn't look like you get much snap on the throw
3. not weight forward at the hit
4. back leg should be coming around you, not behind you
5. no hip pivot/power

You should be able to get that kind of distance standing still.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Star Shark » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:34 pm

I think part of your problem is that your wrist orientation is upwards. This is giving you nose up and you're getting stall-outs. See the articles in the technique repair section of the main board here on wrist angles.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:32 am

Also try to pull the disc on a straight line close to the chest extending the arm straight before the disc leaves the fingers.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Parks » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:20 am

It looks to me like you are starting everything really fast and not accelerating.

Try starting the x-step slower and then finishing fast with a strong follow-through.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chunk » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:51 am

thanks for the feedback. i can visualize what most of you are talking about, especially the leg swinging around instead of behind. now i just have to figure out how to execute it. :?
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:31 pm

You want to know what I'm talking about, just read some of my last posts in the technique/video critique sections. I've explained it many times, so it's not hard to find. Once you understand what you're trying to do, it gets easier to self diagnose.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby mark12b » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:11 pm

here are a few good ones:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... 573#115573

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... 593#115593

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... 195#122195

your throw actually looks not too bad for putter shots, where weight-back leading to nose-up isn't a huge problem. it would be good to see some driver drives next time.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Re: chunk's throw

Postby chunk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:05 pm

progress?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egjpnWPdlp8

btw... burrrrrrrr, what happened to fall? :shock:
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby Toomes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:14 pm

This is my first time doing a critique, but I definitely see a few things you could improve:

1. Your not getting weight forward. At the hit, the majority of your body is straight up and down and not over your plant foot.
2. I can't tell what the disc is doing after you release it, but it seems like you probably are throwing with a little bit of nose up. I'm almost positive the nose up issue is because your not getting your weight forward.
3. You are mostly strong arming the disc. In other words, by the time the disc is about to come out your hands you have just started to rotate your hips and shoulders. You need to start turning your hips earlier. Also, the rotation of your body is slowing down by the time you get to hit. Remember to start slow and accelerate through the hit.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:22 am

What DCC said.

First of all not closing the wrist during reach back is a good idea so that you can get the disc closer to your body leading to a better snap. To help the snap you need to stomp and push hard with your left leg and really twist your hips hard to end up facing the target when the release should happen. Also tighten your grip in the last 10" of the throw so that the disc won't slip out early and loose a lot of D and spin making it flip over easier and fade harder. Unless you wanna throw all s-curves :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby garublador » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:36 pm

The second video is much better than the first.

You'll definitely benefit from rebuilding your x-step from the hit back. If you start from a standstill and little reach back you might be able to get the feel of late acceleration better, too. Like other's have said, you're starting to slow down right about the time you should be starting to accelerate the most. You're squandering a ton of power that way.

We obviously can't see the flight of the disc, but it looks like they might be pretty nice looking air bounces.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby chunk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:30 am

JR wrote:What DCC said.

First of all not closing the wrist during reach back is a good idea so that you can get the disc closer to your body leading to a better snap. To help the snap you need to stomp and push hard with your left leg and really twist your hips hard to end up facing the target when the release should happen. Also tighten your grip in the last 10" of the throw so that the disc won't slip out early and loose a lot of D and spin making it flip over easier and fade harder. Unless you wanna throw all s-curves :-)

i think your saying "not closing" the wrist means what i call cocking it, i.e. if your hand is out to shake another hand the fingers are pointing left. i thought this helped snap. :?
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby chunk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 am

garublador wrote:The second video is much better than the first.

You'll definitely benefit from rebuilding your x-step from the hit back. If you start from a standstill and little reach back you might be able to get the feel of late acceleration better, too. Like other's have said, you're starting to slow down right about the time you should be starting to accelerate the most. You're squandering a ton of power that way.

We obviously can't see the flight of the disc, but it looks like they might be pretty nice looking air bounces.

thanks!!! i'm going to try the "from the hit back" exercises and see where it gets me. right now i'm getting it out 280 - 300' with decent repeatability and accuracy. i'd like to get another 50' on my drives but have wonder how far a 42 y/o just starting out can throw. :lol:
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:40 am

chunk wrote: i'd like to get another 50' on my drives but have wonder how far a 42 y/o just starting out can throw. :lol:

400'+ would not surprise me
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Next

Return to Video Critique