New throws

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New throws

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Here are some more throws from a standstill. I have been trying to lead with a hip pivot then the rest. One thing that I noticed is that I drop my elbow when going into my pull. I have no idea why I do this, I do not really feel it when I throw, and I have no idea how to stop it. Any suggestions on this or any other tips or pointers on what I am doing wrong would be great. On these throws I was not trying to max out my distance. Just a nice easy throw. Thanks in advance.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3000003290101767097oHniji?vhost=good-times
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:10 am

You'd probably benefit from a 4" lower stance by bending your knees more. Try to keep the elbow at shoulder height at all times. You could try to imagine punching something with your elbow just when it starts to open. Also doing the arm pull alone with no other motions in front of a mirror should give you quick feedback of your throwing motion. It looked like you could lean forward at the waist more so that you get weight forward and nose down. Heart over the right knee or as some say chin over the toes.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby garublador » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 am

I'd also consider reaching back with a bent elbow. It might help you lead with your elbow more. Just do what you're doing now, but bend your elbow a little bit and see what happens.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 am

garublador wrote:I'd also consider reaching back with a bent elbow. It might help you lead with your elbow more. Just do what you're doing now, but bend your elbow a little bit and see what happens.

I have played around with this on and off. When you reach back with a bent elbow how do you keep the disc on the line that you intend to throw on. I guess my question is I am working on now is reaching straight back and pulling in a straight line keeping it as close to the chest as possible. If I bend my elbow this would seem to put the disc around my body more when reaching back. Or do I not need to bend it that much?
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:13 am

garublador wrote:I'd also consider reaching back with a bent elbow. It might help you lead with your elbow more. Just do what you're doing now, but bend your elbow a little bit and see what happens.

I have played around with this on and off. When you reach back with a bent elbow how do you keep the disc on the line that you intend to throw on. I guess my question is I am working on now is reaching straight back and pulling in a straight line keeping it as close to the chest as possible. If I bend my elbow this would seem to put the disc around my body more when reaching back. Or do I not need to bend it that much?

On another note I have been working on leading with the hips from a standstill and every time I go out it gets easier and smoother so I am making progress. This leading with the elbow and this having the elbow out in front "punching toward the target" is something I still haven't figured out since redoing my throw. I have tried it some but it seams to give me turnover problems for some reason. Any suggestions on this would be great or if it is even something that you have to concentrate on??
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37 am

Bent elbow has the same end result as reaching straight back, Blake said it's easier to feel the snap, and I think it's because you've got the disc tucked into your arm, so when you extend your arm, it's already there, you don't have to keep it tucked in like you do with a straight arm pull.

If you're feeling the snap with a straight arm pull, keep at it. You know what you're looking for, it's just practice to get better.

With the elbow punching the target, it's just another method to use to help you keep the disc in close to your chest and down your arm when you throw (instead of arcing out away from your body.

As for getting over the disc, you want to be over it as it goes under your chest. So as it goes by, you pivot onto your plant foot. You're getting there. :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby black udder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:51 am

Bent elbow has the same end result as reaching straight back, Blake said it's easier to feel the snap, and I think it's because you've got the disc tucked into your arm, so when you extend your arm, it's already there, you don't have to keep it tucked in like you do with a straight arm pull.

If you're feeling the snap with a straight arm pull, keep at it. You know what you're looking for, it's just practice to get better.

With the elbow punching the target, it's just another method to use to help you keep the disc in close to your chest and down your arm when you throw (instead of arcing out away from your body.

As for getting over the disc, you want to be over it as it goes under your chest. So as it goes by, you pivot onto your plant foot. You're getting there. :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Yeah it is starting to come together. I will be hitting the practice field hard this week then hopefully this weekend or next week I will post a video of my progress.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique