edrift101 - mandshow - Todd Erickson - Masterbeato Round Vid

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: edrift101 - mandshow - Todd Erickson - Masterbeato Round Vid

Postby masterbeato » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Yeah I am not a good putter by any means. I work on it every single day, I know I work on it correctly because I remember what Blake said to do. If I have any questions about it I ask him but he doesnt seem to want to talk about DG anymore.

So I continue my putting practice everyday to see if it gets better.

BTW, I was putting really well for me on those videos. =P

A shot looked nose up probably on hole 9?

I just F'd up that one.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby chunk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 am

masterbeato wrote:It may be a good idea for one of the site administrators to delete this thread so no one else sees the videos of the parachute pants any further.

having already dealt with mc hammer and parachute pants in the '80 i wholeheartedly agree. :mrgreen:
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby chunk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 am

chunk wrote:
masterbeato wrote:It may be a good idea for one of the site administrators to delete this thread so no one else sees the videos of the parachute pants any further.

having already dealt with mc hammer and parachute pants in the '80 i wholeheartedly agree. :mrgreen:

p.s. great video from acorn... thanks for posting.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby black udder » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:45 am

You know what I love/admire most about your form, MB? It's that dead calmness after the rip. When you throw, it's a smooth, controlled approach and then the pull and when the disc is gone, you're not flying off the tee or spinning away. Your motion stops when the disc is gone. It's something that (to me) emphasizes that you've transferred the motion and power to the disc and once it's gone, then there's nothing left.

Now I just need somebody to go out and (no offense to the others) pull all your drives out into one film for studying :P

The putting will come with practice. I'd guess you're getting into that between range - on a long hole, most people have a 100'+ up shot with small chance of birdie, while you're getting a 50'-60' shot at birdie. I'd imagine at some point, you'll make more of those or start getting your drives in a better position. Either way, time will only improve your odds if you continue playing.

Looking forward to seeing you on some of the tour DVDs in the next couple years, eh? :D
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby edrift101 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:46 am

black udder wrote:Now I just need somebody to go out and (no offense to the others) pull all your drives out into one film for studying :P

I'll set aside some of the better drives and approach shots for the tutorial video. Should have the raw footage in my hands on Sunday. :P
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby masterbeato » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm

black udder wrote:You know what I love/admire most about your form, MB? It's that dead calmness after the rip. When you throw, it's a smooth, controlled approach and then the pull and when the disc is gone, you're not flying off the tee or spinning away. Your motion stops when the disc is gone. It's something that (to me) emphasizes that you've transferred the :D

Thanks BU:

The thing I mainly kept in my mind to help with acceleration was "In order to achieve maximum power is through acceleration. In order to accelerate at full power you need a very quick motion but in order to do that you have to go into it with slow motion."

You can't gain speed by already going at full speed. I guess my form kind of resembles that fact of how I go into it slowly and end slowly. I trained myself to move in slow motion and at the end I completely stop dead because by making an abrupt movement like stopping suddenly made sense to me to achieve acceleration.

That's how I kept it in my mind while I was trying to understand the acceleration aspect of the throw.

I sure hope I get on a tour DVD!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Blake_T » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 am

the most important part of that post...

You can't gain speed by already going at full speed.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:06 am

Blake_T wrote:the most important part of that post...

You can't gain speed by already going at full speed.

True acceleration is a difficult concept.

I struggle with it.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby readysetstab » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:54 am

i've been doing mostly the same thing as beato for a while now. my motion... run up (slow walk up) and everything is pretty slow, and then as soon as i get to the end of my reach back i start accelerating. and even then, i start the pull rather slow in comparison to how i finish, and kick lots more ass when i'm getting closer to the hit. like dan, the only way i could really visualize acceleration was to start in slow motion. and i've kept it as part of my game. the extra run up time and drawn out motions actually help me focus on the line i'm trying to hit a little more. i've been much more accurate.

try slow motion up until the actual pull. it has worked for at least two people, so 2 for 2 :wink:
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sunspot » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:04 pm

As Blake has said 60 to 100, not 100 to 60. I try to keep that in mind when I'm driving. Great advice.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby masterbeato » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 am

I come from 13 years of martial arts back round so I have always understood how to achieve maximum power. So I guess I could say that most of my form revolves around my martial arts theories. You can't start a lawn mower without getting the engine spinning and set up first. You can't break anyone's chest without a quick motion or striking through him. And you can't throw a disc far without acceleration.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby JR » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:39 am

readysetstab wrote:try slow motion up until the actual pull. it has worked for at least two people, so 2 for 2 :wink:

Probably much more people but at least 3 for 3. And yes I'm still struggling on some days. I find it much more difficult on days when I haven't slept enough or after weight lifting or some other activity that tires the muscles and makes them stiff. Even on good days there's a lot of variation for me. I keep reintroducing old mistakes :-) I know what to do mostly but haven't yet locked everything down so that everything works automatically and without change.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:True acceleration is a difficult concept.

I struggle with it.

Me and Blake will come to Texas sometime and help you out with that.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby DiscJay » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 pm

OH..OH...me too, help me to understand it fully when you come to Texas too. PPPPLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You know I need it.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Don't get our hopes up beato. :D
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique