Let's hear it

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Let's hear it

Postby JohnnyB » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:40 pm

This morning I was playing a round alone had my camera in my bag so I decided to film one of my drives for critique.
The hole is marked as 315' and I parked it about 5 feet past the basket. It's not a big distance shot, but my form is all there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tprhpi80n0Y
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Re: Let's hear it

Postby Beetard » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Hmmm Looks pretty sound, but it doesn't seem like you're getting very much elbow lead or use of your left foot. You did throw on a nice flat plane and the amount of follow through suggests you had a good hit. Also looked like you got almost full arm extension before the disc came out. I'd say you're on the verge of big D. Probably a lot closer to it than I am, LOL.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby JR » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:45 am

That's smooth approach form you've got down there. But for that I'd like you to lock your eyes on the target and not break the contact. Before trying to add more power to the throw I'd lie to see a similar throw but one that doesn't start the acceleration of the arm as the front of the disc is passing your back. Wait until you're about 10" short of the hit. Once you get that honed add more power in that late part of the throw and see if you can start the quick arm acceleration even later. Like 8".

Definitely try to get the elbow closer to the target before you start to chop the elbow.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JohnnyB » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:16 pm

I'm almost flattered to get so few tips.
I spent most of the day working with them though. I took a stack of mids out to a field and worked on puting my elbow out there more and accelerating later. Did that for about 2 hours until it was comfortable and the discs went where I wanted them to go. Then I went to the course to put it all into practice. My drives were nice, they seemed faster than usual and I felt more confident they would get out there. As for keeping my eye on target I dropped that. Seems weird, but I kept throwing a late release with enough anny to almost be a roller with out my little look back. Is that something that is important or is it just preference?
Forgot the camera so I don't have any video with the new stuff yet.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby frennis524 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 pm

I am by no means an expert, but it looked like you puller your right shoulder a little early.
frennis524
Tree Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:15 pm

I don't tend to worry about keeping my eyes on the basket. Forcing your neck to remain out of position will pull everything off-line...I don't tend to look at the basket once I've started moving until after the disc is out of my hand...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Beetard » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Same deal for me. It feels very awkward to try to keep my head turned toward the basket. I determine my aim and my line and just pull through the line I have imagined in my head. There's no need to see the basket because I know where it is and where I'm aiming relative to it. When I screw up, it's cause I didn't throw in the plane I intended or used the wrong amount of power.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby JR » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:07 am

Keeping eyes on target is only useful for accuracy shots. It definitely reduces power a lot. Also trying to turn your back towards the target and forcing eye contact for as long as possible is mixing max D style and golf accuracy shots which easily hurts both.

In time it's normal to throw with better form, more consistency and accuracy when eyes are constantly on the target then turning away for more power. In 2003 worlds DVD Juliana Korver said she never throws at 100 %. More like 80 % and close to 100 % on uphills.

With 80 % power you can keep eyes on the target and use eyes, body (I use upper arm at full reach back arm keeping a straight forward pull afterward), momentum and increasing weight of the disc while properly accelerating at the end of the late acceleration for aiming. Simultaneously which at least for me helps with accuracy and repeatability tremendously. The difference is large to anything else I've tried. So much so that with the shifting winds around here I've gotten better results using a bit faster discs than necessary for any given D (up to fairway drivers) on uphill throws for both wind resistance and not using full power to minimize the chance of a wrist roll over and other full power influenced problems. Like exceeding the cruising or flipping speed combined with a possible gust mid flight. I'm not forced to use reduced power because I can't control my wrist at least until late in the day or after fierce weight lifting exercise without recuperation.

It might partially be mental because I've also gotten better results with a Leopard against a broken in M Sentinel MF on holes where I only reach good putting D and lateral accuracy on a small percentage of shots thanks to being outside my golfable D with the Sent being uphill. This is a hole where I practice often after rounds when my friend leaves. A leo ain't nearly as wind resistant as a Sent. Not even close. It's just trying to nut 105 % is not likely to produce pretty results vs a less wind proof disc at 80 %. With a Sent I need to turn away fully and with the Leo I'm reducing power everywhere keeping eyes on the target and not turning away half as much. That much magnitude of difference between eyes on and off target. Both ways must be learned for competition play. Both ways are needed on well designed courses that have been designed with say post Leopard era. And championship courses of way earlier than that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby presidio hills » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:45 am

i like how your form is simple. i'll bet any errors you do have you will be able to eliminate easily.
i think your form looks great until right before the hit, i think you're losing forward momentum at that point. if you could get a little more over the front foot, and get the chest forward... i'll bet it would help things out a lot.
great smooth tempo, though. not any weird dips or odd angles! i would recommend finding some footy of chris orik... look up the "usdgc doubles 2008" on you tube. you appear to be of similar build and similar form... he's got a wicked follow through, though. the way he gets forward and clears his hip is just what you need to take it to the next level.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:33 pm

here's a link to chris orrick, he's the first one up to bat. it demonstrates the follow through i think you need. both of you pull through high and finish with a fairly straight plant leg, but he carries much more forward momentum through the hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPBmA4Pc ... re=related
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:17 pm

It looks to me like you could be accelerating harder in the power zone. Your plant and pivot seem a bit lethargic. Try shifting your weight faster and using a more "explosive" motion once the disc passes your right pec.
garublador
Disc Whore

Return to Video Critique