Island Holes?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Island Holes?

Postby Shaolintrained » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:15 pm

This argument has come up a few times recently at the local course. If we play an island hole and the drive sails over the island, maybe even touches in bounds, but skips out; should that be played where it was last seen in bounds or re-tee/drop zone?
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Re: Island Holes?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:23 pm

It's player choice according to the rules if there were no restrictions indicated on the tee sign or made by the TD.
Last edited by Chuck Kennedy on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Shaolintrained » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 am

Wonderful, thanks Chuck. That's exactly what I was looking for to settle the dispute.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:24 am

Most of the time the point of an island hole is to force the player to land inside the island. Usually it's explained by the td before a round, and thenthey usually explain if you miss the island you throw the 2nd shot from the designated tee. If you miss the next throw it's the same thing over again.

One tourney I've been to with a temp hole you HAD to land in it. Another tourney I've been to with an island hole taped off you took an ob stroke and shot inside the island if your disc was in bounds at any point in it's flight.

It's all how the td sets it up. Usually it's made pretty clear before a round. If it's a permanent hole on a course and you don't know which it is, I'd go with the ob rule on over the retee.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Fritz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 am

Us TD's here in Colorado make you land on the island. If you don't you keep reteeing until you do :) Some are kind enough to make a DZ up ahead 20 - 30 feet or so, but you still have to land on the island. (come to rest that is)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 am

Fritz wrote:Us TD's here in Colorado make you land on the island. If you don't you keep reteeing until you do :) Some are kind enough to make a DZ up ahead 20 - 30 feet or so, but you still have to land on the island. (come to rest that is)

Those kind of holes can be tough. I'd hate to have a huge back up just because of this kind of hole. I'm sure the hole is a putter throw, but I would probably make the DZ around 150' to the island green.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Fritz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:
Fritz wrote:Us TD's here in Colorado make you land on the island. If you don't you keep reteeing until you do :) Some are kind enough to make a DZ up ahead 20 - 30 feet or so, but you still have to land on the island. (come to rest that is)

Those kind of holes can be tough. I'd hate to have a huge back up just because of this kind of hole. I'm sure the hole is a putter throw, but I would probably make the DZ around 150' to the island green.

Oh yeah, the island holes are always 150-200. It's purely mental. It's the people who try to float it and land it, when really jsut do a normal toss of a putter and you'll be fine.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby smarkquart » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 am

The island hole we played last weekend had the retee area still 250 feet away. We had a player who could not hit the island after seven attempts. The island was large and easier to hit for those with 300+ drives but tapered near the retee box, making it hard to hit if it was just within your maximum distance range. Since we were playing teams and his team had already lost this fun event (this was hole 17), he simply gave up and we gave him a 9 on the score card. Even if we played with inbounds first and mark from there with a penalty, it would not have saved him, he was never close enough.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby Dogma » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Never mind. Moved to new thread.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Return to Rules Discussion