Marking your lie

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Marking your lie

Postby mobster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 am

I was playing with some fine fellows the other day when the ruling over marking your lie and the 30 seconds time limit came up. They read the rules as saying when you mark your lie with a mini, whether you're away or not, that starts your 30 seconds to throw. Basically they said you cannot put down your mini until you're the away player and it's your turn. Is this how the rules are interpreted?
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Re: Marking your lie

Postby juju » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 am

Time starts when you reach your lie (and you are away), not when you place your mini. Sometimes they are one in the same, but not always. Just because you don't put your mini down right away doesn't mean the clock hasn't started. Clock always restarts if there are any distractions. You don't need to be away to place your mini, just don't do it when someone is throwing/putting.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby mark12b » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 am

mobster wrote:I was playing with some fine fellows the other day when the ruling over marking your lie and the 30 seconds time limit came up. They read the rules as saying when you mark your lie with a mini, whether you're away or not, that starts your 30 seconds to throw. Basically they said you cannot put down your mini until you're the away player and it's your turn. Is this how the rules are interpreted?

the 30 seconds starts when you "address" your lie -- i've never seen anyone equate that with marking the lie though. usually in the interest of speed-of-play you want people marking their lies, thinking about their shots and disc selection, etc. as time permits, regardless of if it's their turn or not.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby nohr » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:18 pm

My understanding is you have 30 seconds from when there is no distractions. The problem is what one person considers a distraction another one might not. I have seen pro cards wait a couple minutes to takes shot b/c of a large gallery close to them. I think you could argue just about anything as being distracting (including someone calling you on 30 seconds).
nohr
Tree Magnet

Return to Rules Discussion