lost disc, can it turn into a courtesy violation ???

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: lost disc, can it turn into a courtesy violation ???

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:00 pm

curt wrote:
Every time a crazy example to play DA is thrown out there it always boils down to interpreting the rules, evaluating the situation and using good judgment.

I have to say, that despite how angry I would be at someone I suspected of lying about finding my disc, I would have a hard time justifying a DQ in that situation. I believe the rules lean toward a generally assumption towards innocence. Considering the difficulty of actually proving someone saw the disc, but said they had not, I would find it difficult to bring the charge up officially. This is especially true when I consider how angry I would be if I were DQ'ed from a tournament for that reason and had legitimately not seen the disc. (I would probably never go to another one of that TD's tournaments).

*Note: I am also working under the assumption that the disc isn't laying out in the open and is in an area that is at least mildly difficult to search. Otherwise, I don't believe this situation would come up.
What about guys who pull a J.T. Rosenthal and actually covers up your disc with leaves to make it harder to find, then acts like it's a big joke and can't figure out why everybody is so mad?
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby curt » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Fortunately, there is a rule that deals with that specific situation:

803.07.C. Any player who consciously alters the course of a thrown disc, or consciously moves or
obscures another player's thrown disc at rest or a marker disc, other than by the action of a
competitively thrown disc or in the process of identification, shall receive two penalty
throws, without a warning, if observed by any two players or an official.

Actually, now that I have cited that rule, I think it may be the best rule for the whole scenario. While I wholeheartedly would prefer to see the perpetrator DQ'ed, the benefit I see is that the thrower would have the option of re-throwing the shot. (It's a clause for intentional interference in 803.07.A). Otherwise the thrower has to take stroke AND rethrow anyway once the disc has been declared lost. You can't undeclare the disc lost b/c it is found, regardless of the circumstances of the lost disc. Also, 2 strokes is a pretty substantial penalty for the person who interferes with the disc.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Fritz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:56 pm

curt wrote:Fortunately, there is a rule that deals with that specific situation:

803.07.C. Any player who consciously alters the course of a thrown disc, or consciously moves or
obscures another player's thrown disc at rest or a marker disc, other than by the action of a
competitively thrown disc or in the process of identification, shall receive two penalty

Actually, now that I have cited that rule, I think it may be the best rule for the whole scenario. While I wholeheartedly would prefer to see the perpetrator DQ'ed, the benefit I see is that the thrower would have the option of re-throwing the shot. (It's a clause for intentional interference in 803.07.A). Otherwise the thrower has to take stroke AND rethrow anyway once the disc has been declared lost. You can't undeclare the disc lost b/c it is found, regardless of the circumstances of the lost disc. Also, 2 strokes is a pretty substantial penalty for the person who interferes with the disc.

Interesting...one time ina tournament a card member got nailed by a disc, the group behind didn't yell fore, so we put a couple sticks and some grass on top of his disc. Never knew we coulda been stroked. It was completely obvious where his disc was, so it didnt' hide it (all dirt on the area no grass for 10 feet or so so it stood out).
Learn something new everyday.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby nohr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 am

Someone tried to call this out if you got hit by a disc it is 2 strokes. I was sitting on a tripod waiting to tee off on a hole. The group behind of us threw at their hole one disc came very close to hitting me. Went over my lap without me even noticing.

But back to the current conversation. 3 mins doesn't start until everyone starts looking. How do you tell if someone is looking. Chuck said that you don't have to put yourself in harms way. Can 3 out of the 4 people on the card just walk the fareways peaking into the rough?
nohr
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion