How much foot movement on throws after yuor drive?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How much foot movement on throws after yuor drive?

Postby NWcityguy2 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't play in any tournaments or events, but I'd really like to have something explained me on from the pdga rules. How much foot movement is legal on throws after your tee off? Does your foot have to be planted right behind your disc before you begin the throwing motion, or are you allow to step up/x step as long as your foot is in the right place when you throw? The part in the rules that seems to cover this doesn't say you can't but doesn't say you can either.

"A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds."
NWcityguy2
Noob

Re: How much foot movement on throws after yuor drive?

Postby JimW » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:29 pm

You can do whatever you want pre-release; run-up, x-step, Russian ballet, etc. As long as you have the supporting point directly behind your lie on release and no points in front of the lie you're good.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby NWcityguy2 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Thank you much. One quick follow up question if I might, why on watching videos of event do I see so many people not taking advantage of this?
NWcityguy2
Noob

Postby black udder » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:20 pm

NWcityguy2 wrote:Thank you much. One quick follow up question if I might, why on watching videos of event do I see so many people not taking advantage of this?

explain... do you mean why don't people take run-ups when they can? for that, I'd say there are many shots that better throwers don't need an x-step to throw (i.e. shots under as far as 300' or more). Most of the time, it's shots around 275' and under, many people will stand still and throw because they don't have to worry about landing behind their disc and they can increase their accuracy.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Lithicon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 pm

black udder wrote:
NWcityguy2 wrote:Thank you much. One quick follow up question if I might, why on watching videos of event do I see so many people not taking advantage of this?

explain... do you mean why don't people take run-ups when they can? for that, I'd say there are many shots that better throwers don't need an x-step to throw (i.e. shots under as far as 300' or more). Most of the time, it's shots around 275' and under, many people will stand still and throw because they don't have to worry about landing behind their disc and they can increase their accuracy.

Think this pretty much sums it up. Depending on the shot, I rarely every need to do any kind of run up after my initial tee off.
If I do, it's maybe just a 1step, type thing or something closely related.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby NWcityguy2 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:14 am

Okay thanks
NWcityguy2
Noob

Return to Rules Discussion